• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

FAQ's on Installation & Patches

BumpNsubz

Warlord
I'm starting this thread because of the rise in questions here recently. This is going to be basic so please feel free to reply with other situations that occur and the remedy for them as well.

Note: I do not work for the company nor do I take responsibility if anything goes wrong while trying out these solutions. This is from my own trial and error unless noted otherwise. Credit will be given where credit is due.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Q. Do I need to have Warlords installed to play BTS?

A. No. It is not required. Everything from Warlords is included with BTS EXCEPT the scenarios.

Q. Will BTS run properly on Vista?

A. Yes. It is highly recommended however, that you fully update Windows across any platform before installing BTS. Especially your Graphics Card software and Direct X program. To find out what version your Direct X is, go to Start, Run, type "Dxdiag", and hit enter. Near the bottom of the first tab it should tell you the version currently installed. I recommend version 10 (9c on Windows XP) or higher if it's available at the time you read this.

Q. Why doesn't the patch work for BTS when I click Automatic Update?

A. This is the main reason I started this thread. There are several solutions depending on which patch, official or unofficial (3.13 - By Bhruic).
  • Official Patch (3.13) - This will need to be installed manually.
The easiest way for you to get the patch is to download it from the CFC Patch Database. Here's the link to the v.3.13 patch. Download that to your computer and than run it from your computer. I've found to make things work easier with Vista, to right click the .exe file and click 'Run as Administrator'.

• Unofficial Patch (By Bhruic)(3.13) - This will also need to be installed manually.

• You will need to download the .zip file from here . Once you download it, unzip it into its own folder. You will first want to make a back-up of the original file that it is updating. To do this go to Start, (My) Computer, C Drive, Program Files, Firaxis Games, Sid Meier's Civilization 4, Beyond the Sword, Assets and rename the file 'CvGameCoreDLL.dll' to something else as a back-up. Copy Bhruic's version of the same named file from your unzip folder into this very same folder. You can either trash the rest of the files that came with Bhruic's Patch, or keep them if you plan on doing some of your own modifications. Next step, play. The most noticed change right away is the visual display of :culture: when you mouse-over a building in your city's building queue. Without this unofficial patch, :culture: given by a building won't be shown until it's actually completed and in your built list down the left-hand side of the city screen.

• There is also a supplementary patch available here that has a few minor changes as well. I have not installed this so I will leave it up to someone else to post the installation instructions.

• If you don't want to try it manually, try Bhruic's Patch Installer instead. I have not tried this, so again I will leave it up to someone else to post the installation instructions (if any).

Q. Should I download the Unofficial Patch? What does it fix?

A. Many of the 'What does it fix' questions have been answered here.

• As for should you download it...
I would not install the unofficial patch if you plan to play the xOTM games because you will not be able to play. Otherwise download the unofficial patch.

• and...
I'd strongly recommend the unofficial patch, as the dead colony bug and the worker city capture bug ruin games if they occur. It also fixes a number of more minor problems.

• Unfortunately not all the bugs were fixed with the official patch. Bhruic's patch battles most, if not all, the major issues that we were left with.

Feel free to ask more questions in here or post some of your own fixes to problems you've come across regarding Installation or Patches.

Reserved for future use if needed.

Suggestion for addition to FAQ:

Q. Help! When installing BtS it says it is going to update Civilization 4 to the latest patch, but then the installation fails!!

A. This is because the patch for Civ4 on the BtS disc only includes the changes made from patch 1.61 to 1.74, and you likely had an older version installed (1.00, 1.09, or 1.52). You can fix this by either starting Civ4 and Clicking Advanced>Check for Updates or downloading and installing it manually, >here< for PC's or >here< for Macs.

Has there been any word from firaxis on future patches? Any hints at all?

Regarding my comment regarding playing Game of the Months that is quoted above, you can download Bhuric's unofficial patch and use it for non-GOTM games. Just set up the unofficial patch in your mod folder or have multiple installs of BtS (one with the patch and one without). Wodan and jkp1187 have posts on this in the thread below:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=255423

Hopefully the Hall of Fame mod (HOF) for BtS can be made compatible with Bhuric's patch :please: :please:

Has there been any word from firaxis on future patches? Any hints at all?

Jon Shafer who is a Firaxis employee has stated in a post (somewhere in this forum) that there will be a patch, but not anytime soon. Don't take that word for word. Hopefully someone has the link to his statement.

Hopefully the Hall of Fame mod (HOF) for BtS can be made compatible with Bhuric's patch :please: :please:

A lot of Bhruic's changes are included in the HOF Mod, so there's no need to make it compatible.

I'm guessing the influx of questions is due to posters getting the game for Christmas. For now, I'm going to sticky this thread.

Moderator Action: Stuck

That was my guess too and thank you for giving this a temp sticky. Hopefully, we can get a big response for fixes and the new BTS players can get a good running start on having their new game working correctly and quickly without having 20 or so threads started asking the same thing.

Help!

I'm installing BEY and I noticed that it doesn't have a custom install option. I really need one because my laptop hard drive is completely full (300MB free space left) and I put my games on my external hard drive.

Help please! I've been installing GE for 5 hours and just got it to work, and I'm really tired and would like to get BEY installed before I go to bed (I've been up for about 26 hours :crazyeye: :p ).

BEY?
if you mean Beyond the Sword: it needs to be installed into the directory Civ4 is installed to. If you need to change that you'll have to uninstall Civ4 and reinstall it to y convenient location and then install BtS.

That's the thing though, the option for "Custom" and "Express" installs don't appear. It just automatically begins to install in C, which is empty and a different directory then Civ4 is installed in.

I just got BtS and when i try to install it i get a message saing there is a patch available and will now be installed. another message appears that says the patch couldnt install and the installation will now be aborted. which closes out the installation.

im not very good with computers so try to give me a good explanation on what i need to do.

i appreciate any help.

That's the thing though, the option for "Custom" and "Express" installs don't appear. It just automatically begins to install in C, which is empty and a different directory then Civ4 is installed in.

I see that you are using gold edition, is that right? in that case the install routine is a tad different - but it still should be tied to the civ4 folder. You could try simply moving the game after it installed (which of course would mean you needed some space) but that would screw the uninstall routine.
Could you tell me where it tries to install to?

I just got BtS and when i try to install it i get a message saing there is a patch available and will now be installed. another message appears that says the patch couldnt install and the installation will now be aborted. which closes out the installation.

im not very good with computers so try to give me a good explanation on what i need to do.

i appreciate any help.
Do you have gold edition or a downloaded version of Civ4? or do you have the disc version? was Civ4 patched before you installed BtS? If yes to what version?

i appreciate any help.

More than likely your firewall or internet security software is causing it. Norton is what I have and it blocks it every time. I suggest using the method that the OP (first post) has quoted me saying.

I see that you are using gold edition, is that right? in that case the install routine is a tad different - but it still should be tied to the civ4 folder. You could try simply moving the game after it installed (which of course would mean you needed some space) but that would screw the uninstall routine.
Could you tell me where it tries to install to?

I believe it tries to make a folder in Program Files and start installing it there.

I just really don't understand why there wouldn't be Express Install and Custom Install options.

Here's what I see (notice the error in the upper left corner of the install screen...lol)

I believe it tries to make a folder in Program Files and start installing it there.

I just really don't understand why there wouldn't be Express Install and Custom Install options.

Here's what I see (notice the error in the upper left corner of the install screen...lol)
spelling or correct use of the English language is not what programmers are being paid for ;)
I know this screen from installing and just assume that it wants to install to the custom directory. where is your gold edition installed to?

spelling or correct use of the English language is not what programmers are being paid for ;)
I know this screen from installing and just assume that it wants to install to the custom directory. where is your gold edition installed to?

Hard Drive E, which is my external hard drive. (which still has 110GB of free space left).

Did everyone give up on me? lol
just people are not online all the time ;)
I'd have to check how the install routine of BtS works and if there is a workaround - but I cannot do this from work and probably not before the weekend - so if anyone else knows something ...
Also of course the thing is not made easier by the fact that you want to install on a removable device and that I don't have gold edition :rolleyes:
I don't know if there is a work around these issues but I'll try to come up with something...

just people are not online all the time ;)
I'd have to check how the install routine of BtS works and if there is a workaround - but I cannot do this from work and probably not before the weekend - so if anyone else knows something ...
Also of course the thing is not made easier by the fact that you want to install on a removable device and that I don't have gold edition :rolleyes:
I don't know if there is a work around these issues but I'll try to come up with something...

Thank you for your help, if anyone else knows please help :)

Edit: Should I just try and play the game as it is now to sustain myself or wait till I can get BTS installed to get my first taste? :p

It might be a good idea to add a how to use Mods on this thread.

How do you use Mods?

1 download the mod it will be in a Zip or other compressed file.
2 Unzip the file it will either a installer or files.
3 If its a installer double click it and follow the instructions, if its a file Drag and drop to
My documents/my games/beyond the sword*/Mods
4 go in game and go to load mod.
*depends on the expansion you have.

5 Or failing all else, use the installation section on the mods page/forum.

Top Bottom