Fastest Science Victory

Hm yeah maybe. They would be extremely expensive to get though as I'd mostly have to give all the gold to the AI and also give them a compensation for how much they suck. That may or may not be worth it, I don't know. It'd have to time it really precisely too and make extra sure I have the gold, which is always borderline... But maybe...

Te-Moak founded on t5? Do you get a free settler on 'settler'? :lol: And how do people finish so fast? Do techs cost less on settler?

Indeed you can. Policies are dirt cheap on Settler. The whole experience just feels silly. You also start with more happiness and cities and pop cost less unhappiness to maintain to basically it's unlimited to spam an insane amount of cities. Vadalaz mentioned an experiment where as Korea you may win without the NC just by abusing the UA

And I suppose yes, a Pathfinder can choose a settler or a worker from a ruin.

I played around with poxpower's map and finally played a game all the way through. I'm confident a top player can get sub-T200 on this map, aiming for optimal play.
My finish was T207, playing with previous map knowledge while also fooling around trying to get big population: I built Temple of Artemis, got Fertilizer before Plastics, and Penicillin (Medical labs) before Rocketry. Arts Funding was passed at the 1st congress. I built 6 cities, including 2 after NC: 4 were coastal and 5 beside mountains. On T207 their pops were 49, 25, 27, 27, 25, and 24 for a total of 2007 beakers. I finished Internet, had 1 GS left-over, and signed 0 RAs, which makes me think someone might be able to crack T190 on this map.
Policies were full Tradition, 3 in Commerce, full Rationalism, 1 extra in Freedom. Won WF without much trouble.
I think this is a fun map with lots of options in how you can play it; definitely encourage more people to give it a try.

Edit: save file is in post #137

If anyone hasn't tried this map, they're missing out - so much fun!
With considerable replays and previous knowledge, this will be my last run at the map.
I think replaying/comparing has helped me improve my bulbing considerably, as well as late-game decision re: when to stop building buildings (much closer to Plastics than previously).

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 276
So Shoshone Pathfinders can choose to get a settler?

Yeah it's on a 3 ruin rotation. So first ruin you pick settler, second ruin you pick worker, third ruin you pick +1 pop, then you keep doing that as you find ruins.

The faster you find ruins, the faster you get all your free settlers and workers. It's pretty broken and hilarious.

Indeed you can. Policies are dirt cheap on Settler. The whole experience just feels silly. You also start with more happiness and cities and pop cost less unhappiness to maintain to basically it's unlimited to spam an insane amount of cities. Vadalaz mentioned an experiment where as Korea you may win without the NC just by abusing the UA

The main appeal of doing it on settler is to see how much you can optimize your science game without any RNG involved.

It's a different kind of challenge than on Deity. On Deity it's just too frustrating because too many things outside of your control will delay you. For instance, you could just miss out on Oracle or Leaning Tower. Sometimes the AI build Oracle turn 50, sometimes turn 110, it's just random. So right there you miss 20 turns of early production in a city and a social policy that also then forces you to spend more ressources on culture to catch up.

So basically just that will completely wreck a run to the point where you might as well restart if you get wonder-sniped, or just take a safe strategy that doesn't rely on wonders, but that is then probably strictly worse than a wonder-based strategy where you actually get them.
There's a game Acken has where he's playing Spain and wonder-spamming like crazy in his capital because he gets 2 free settlers. He gets temple of artemis, hanging gardens and petra lol. That almost never happens on Deity, it's all pure RNG or map-based.

So I like doing it on Settler for that.

But yeah Shoshone is A LITTLE STUPID lol

Yeah it's on a 3 ruin rotation. So first ruin you pick settler, second ruin you pick worker, third ruin you pick +1 pop, then you keep doing that as you find ruins.

The faster you find ruins, the faster you get all your free settlers and workers. It's pretty broken and hilarious.

Isn't the +20/60 faith run better?

With considerable replays and previous knowledge, this will be my last run at the map.
I think replaying/comparing has helped me improve my bulbing considerably, as well as late-game decision re: when to stop building buildings (much closer to Plastics than previously).
T181 with a spare GS is an amazing result, congrats! I admire your patience - personally I can never force myself to replay a map, eventhough it's likely the most effective way to learn to play optimally. Would love to read your thoughts regarding optimal bulbing and mid-late game build order.

Wow. That is impressive regardless replays. Well done! So, 6 cities?

Do you guys use Great Plains or Great Plains Plus? What is the difference?

How many re-rolls before you get something really worth it?

Obviously you want to spawn at the Western end, so any time you're not there you reload, but I have been finding it a problem having enough room amongst the broken mountains to drop cities.

In my experience you have a higher chance of getting enough city spots on GPPlus. It has better luxuries, but garbage natural wonders - Grand Mesa, Barringer Crater and Old Faithful.

I usually play the first 15-20 turns of all starts that look okay. Sometimes the RNG turns those into really good starts with perfect ruins, 2 religious CSs, nice expo spots, a good NW nearby or whatever. Getting a truly amazing location for the capital takes really long and then there's no guarantee you'll have enough room to expand anyway. That's just frustrating.

How many maps do you think you discarded before you played your personal best map?

Something like 10-12 rolls for the Huns map. It wasn't my first attempt to execute this strategy though, I had failed it on 2 or 3 other maps before, so you can add another 20-30 rerolls I suppose.

Top Bottom