FAvorite Board Game

Depends what rules on times you are playing... It tends to be less fun if you are taking about a minute to move whilst your opponent is take 5-10 minutes...

I like Monopoly, and though they're not strictly board games - I like Uno and Chronology.

Hey everyone,

Been lurking for a while so my 1st post, I must say I was a but surprised at the games that came up here (not saying any are bad choices), I would say if you like PC games like Civ there are a wealth of face to face board games worth checking out, try the board game geek web site lots of good stuff. No one favourite for me but quite a few tied 1st

In no particular order

Original Squad leader (never had the money for advanced)- for squad based tactical games

Twilight Imperium for 4x style (3rd edition is looking good if a little costly) good example of a game board the changes, you place hexes down to form the universe each game

The rise and decline of the 3rd Reich (4th ed) for world war two strategy

Axis and allies for a light wargame

War and Peace for Napoleon era strategy

Are just some, but I could really go on the ones I got for Xmas should make the list

War of the ring (Yay)
Von Mainstein’s backhand blow
Age of Napoleon
Paths of glory (WW1)
Emperors war

I will curb my enthusiasm there and just say if you can find between 1 – 4 other interested parties there are non PC games out there worth checking out which can sometimes provide a better experience

I totally agree with Squad Leader. None of those are bad games, but I was expecting more uncommon, strategic games. There are many German (and European in general, but mostly German) that are very good. Their concept is often entirely different. Squad Leader has already touched on some good war games, so I'll do more peaceful ones. 'Settlers', 'Tikal' and 'Crossing the Desert' are all great games that are already classics, IMO (though the oldest is barely a decade). Newer games that I'm enjoying are 'Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers' (I, sadly, have not played the original yet), 'Octiles' (sort of a mix of the 'Labyrinth' game from Ravensburger and 'Chinese Checkers', though more strategic and interesting than either, IMO [now that's synergy :D]), 'Fire and Ice' (very elaborate 'tic-tac-toe', in a sense) and 'Tigris & Euphrates' (a real 'Civilization' sort of game, clearly set in the Fertile Crescent).
I'd like to go into a small degree of detail about an amazing game, particularly for us civ builders ;), called 'Big City'. I recently borrowed it from my dad and it is great. Many strategy games tend to fall apart with only two players, but my dad gave us this one because my girlfriend and I really like to play games and we're often the only two available. Though it is best with the maximum five players, it still works very well as a two-player, albeit greatly higher-scoring. Essentially each player is a city-planner, all trying to build a city. However, points are gained indiviually by placing buildings, so the city grows in unusual and (often enough;)) annoying ways. Various buildings and other things (like streetcars) that can act as multipliers or requirements for future improvements to the city come along at the player's discretion. An all in all great game that's fairly easy to get the hang of and with a handy sheet with all the points for each building as well as the modifiers. Once players know how to play the game usually only takes 30 minutes, so it can played on short notice. I reommend it to anyone with even a slight interest board games.

EDIT: Oh, and I know a guy who sells many of these boardgames and tons of others out of house in town. He ships them in from Germany, so their kind of expensive, but I don't think they're anymore expensive than most other games I see these days (Getting 'Stratego' cost $50 [Can]:eek: ). www.germangames.com

Dreadnought said:
What is yor favorite board game? Mine is Diplomacy. Simply because it is so fun backstabbing and stuff.

I keep asking my dad to get that but he won't. Is it very good? And where can you find it? :confused:

Risk and LOTR Risk (Lord of the Rings). It is quite different from the the standard and the changes make it very interesting.

I am very interested to try out Axis and Allies, which a friend will be getting soon.

War game- Diplomacy, the all time classic

abstract strategy game- Go, it's what chess would be like if chess were sophisticated!

My all-time favorite is probably Robo Rally, esp. with the expansions. Unfortunately, it's tough to find right now, though there's talk of a re-release.
Next to that would be Power Grid and the classic Settlers.

Risk 2210 AD! There's nothing like nuking the whole planet in one turn. :D

Risk if I can find anyone to play it with me. :(

Axis and Allies
Monopoly
Illuminati

Monoploy and Risk (the alcoholic version).

There are lots of Risk players here. Too bad the computer version is just ok.
My favorites include
1. Double board Risk. Some monumental battles were fought.
2. Strato-Matic Baseball. Draft a team and whomped my dad.
3. Scrabble. My rein of terror continues. With all the smart people that surround me you'd think they could beat me. Maybe it's because my vocabulary consists of mostly three letter words and they try to use things like daedal.
4. Favorite drinking game is A-hole. Nothing better than being president and making the rules.

I would like to play some of the games Punkbass speaks of.

I like to play a game called Cashflow. It basically is a game where you try to make enough money to get out of the rat race. It is quite fun because I seem to do quite weel in this game and whenever my Mum plays, she always is stuck in the rat race. :D

classical_hero said:
I like to play a game called Cashflow. It basically is a game where you try to make enough money to get out of the rat race. It is quite fun because I seem to do quite weel in this game and whenever my Mum plays, she always is stuck in the rat race. :D

Sounds cool...do you have a link?

Top Bottom