1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Civs?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by modernalextg, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Sensei 35

Sensei 35 Chieftain

:nuke: I personally like Germany they may start out rough but come to shine in the industiral age.

or Japan if I want to finish things up earlier. :nuke:

2. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

Hydrogen said russia was slow but its not. Its explorer ability means you can easier decide where to place your cap and other cities (yes you dont want to travel very far, but its nice) But free techs, settlers, cities etc from barb huts means a fast start. Even faster once you use that extra speed and library plus philosphy to zoom to the middle ages and get yet another free tech. The libraries are also a nice easy way to expand domain.

I'm not too fond of their UU. Yes rather useful if you blast enemy units down to 1hp. But all that requires you move slow which nullifies some of the 3 move advantage of calvary type. And its more expensive then calvary to boot. Also its special becomes useless inside a army.

3. modernalextg

modernalextg Chieftain

The English UU isn't very good, at least that's my humble opinion! Of course, I never really build up a very good navy, so I don't like ships anyways! I mean, what's the point of having a ship with one extra attack? Ships will not decide the outcome of a war, especially frigates, or in this case, frigates with one extra attack.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I just don't like the Man-O-War. I'm American, and I HATE the American F-15, even more than the Man-O-War! The F-15 is my least favorite unit! That's why I like the UUs in Civ4 better, the UU for the British is the Redcoat, which makes way more sense, because the Redcoats had a much bigger impact than the M-o-W.

Just like the American UU in Civ4, the Navy SEAL is more important than the F-15.

Anybody else agree?

4. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

Also russias UU is in a optional tech. I like UU that don't require getting optional techs. On the other hand russia has a UU that never expires. But then its special isn't so grand once defensive units get really powerful by comparsion, and it still costs extra.

English UU if I remember correctly allows you to take other ships. Enslaved vessels require no upkeep to boot.(and turn into the UU itself if I remember correctly for more captures) Which means you can have a large sea army without it costing an arm and a leg to keep em around. Very nice. How useful it is depends on the map and such. Also higher bombard or something maybe? Theres another nation with a land UU that enslaves. Bet thats pretty good.

F-15 makes sense, it was just done badly. Though navel seals make sense too. "Red coat" as a unit doesn't make sense. Redcoats were just regular british soldiers called that because of what they wore. Nothing "unique" but britian is famous for its ships (and it is a island) been a couple examples where britains small fast manueverable ships have saved their butts. Like one example where a small fleet of such ships held off a spanish Armageddon's of ships that were larger with bigger cannons.(the spanish ships had very few experienced sailors too, and a good number of priests) Its a shame if brits got "red coat" as a UU for civ4.

Ships in civ3 need boosting. The first alphabit ship should get transport two(so if your the only one to start on a island your not so screwed) All ships should get speed boost. better cannons with more range/# of attacks (for each cannon on ship) But also more cost.

5. Jazzmail

Jazzmail Chieftain

@modernalextg:
    Agreed, I don't understand why firaxis choose the F-15, when a marines UU is so very obvious.
    Historically the F-15 plays no role whatsoever, but coastal landings (D-day) and US marines are a part of history.
    In gameplay terms it means an earlier GA and a somewhat useful unit, much better than the F-15 atleast.

6. iambenben

iambenben Chieftain

my own civ

i make it religious and expansionist due to the fact that i like to scout and i dont like to pay loads for a temple

7. Jokeslayer

Jokeslayer Dedicated

For me, it's not that the Man o War is a bad unit. It's quite good at what it does, really. It's just that what it does is pointless.

I think the redcoat is a much better idea for a UU. It's certainly much more iconic than any individual type of boat, and in gameplay, a boosted rifleman would be far more useful than a boosted frigate.

And the redcoats were instrumental in creating and defending the empire. By your justification, the Americans would be much better served by a minuteman UU

But I agree with ships sucking. They're not too bad in movement on standard and below maps, but they should get more movement on large and huge maps. They just take too long to get anywhere.

8. modernalextg

modernalextg Chieftain

Yeah I think in Civ3 Conquests there's a land UU that enslaves. I think its the Mayans, and you can enslave other units or sacrifice them for culture. I'm not sure about that though. Anybody here have C3C?:confused:

9. Sensei 35

Sensei 35 Chieftain

You are correct it is the mayan javalin Thrower:agree:

10. Jokeslayer

Jokeslayer Dedicated

The Mayan Javelin Thrower replaces the archer and has a 1/3 chance t (I think) to turn defeated units into enslaved workers. Not sure about sacrificing for culture, though.

11. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

I also forgot to mention man O war has twice the attack too. +2 not 1. If it were a land unit it would be overpowered. But water power is not useless. And if you can dominate the water like man O war can thats nothing to sneeze at. Of course its special slaving requires the enemy actually BUILD ships him/her self :p. But AI would never decline if across water, and even barb ships can be taken over (though tough for them to survive to that point)

So unless your set to pangaea..

I suppose you think GI joe would also be a great UU. Its not about iconic. Its about being unique and especially good for that nation (the only thing unique about "red coats" is the color of their coats, just run of the mill soldiers with a nickname americans gave em, but lots of nations soldiers have nicknames) Britains speciality is boats, been that way for much of its history and thats what its UU should be.

Oh it turns them into workers, not quit as powerful..

12. modernalextg

modernalextg Chieftain

Are the Attack/Def/Movement Specs the Same for the Javelin Thrower and the archer?

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the sacrificing for culture, either, my friend just told me about it as, I, obviously dont have C3C. i'll have to talk to him about that.

13. Doge Soprano

Doge Soprano Chieftain

I like anything with commerce, religious, and militaristic. When a civilization has two of those traits, I'll play it. Leaderhead wise, I like Isabella lol. I think I'm in love. :blush:

14. Jokeslayer

Jokeslayer Dedicated

This is turning into somewhat of a history debate, but I'll go with it for now.

Of course it's about iconic. Most of the UUs are iconic of their nation (the German Panzer, French Musketeer and the Roman Legionary spring to mind), even though the Panzer was only around for a few years, the musketeers were a fairly small group and the legionary was a small part of the Roman army.

And to say that the redcoat is only distinguished by the colour of the coat is to say that the persian immortals are only special because there were always 10 000 of them. The accomplishments of the redcoat are what set it apart from its contemporaries.

Additionally, Britain and England pre-unification have been using land armies effectively for hundreds of years. The impact of the British land army on world history is enormous (consider the War of the Spanish Succession, the Seven Years War, the Hundred Years War, the Napoleonic Wars and the First World War in particular). The navy is best known for protecting the island and the commercial interests, rather than exerting power abroad.

15. Jokeslayer

Jokeslayer Dedicated

It's 2/2/1, so one def. more than the archer. It also costs 10 more shields (30 instead of 20) which I think is made up for by the extra def and the ability to enslave. One worker is 10 shields as it is.

16. modernalextg

modernalextg Chieftain

Yeah, I'll have to look into getting C3C, from what I've heard, It really is a great addition!

17. anaxagoras

anaxagoras Chieftain

Losing a war is a great accomplishment? :confused: Seriously, as redcoats, British land forces didn't exactly acquire a great reputation.

I really disagree with this. The histoical impact of English/British land forces is trivial when compared with the impact of the British navy. As a primarily naval power, Britain conquered portions of North America, the Far East, Africa, Australia, the Middle East, and the entire Indian subcontinent. Sure, they needed land victories, but they were sustained by sea power. Protecting commercial interests is what a navy is for, by the way. For an army to fight overseas, it must be supplied.

Having a land unit represent Britain would be like having the U-Boat represent Germany. It would make a certain amount of sense, but it sure isn't the first thing that comes to mind.

In the game, the biggest problem with the MoW is that it is strongly map-dependent and virtually useless on a pangea map. On a continents map, it only helps somewhat against Civs on the other continent. On an archipelago map, though, it can dominate an era.

As for that, the F-15 is pretty good as a historical representation, but it just doesn't work in game play. Fighters just don't do enough, and jet fighters come so late that they can't really influence the outcome. A better UU would be the Sherman. In C3C, instead of 16-8-2, the Sherman would be 14-6-2. But it would cost only 70 shields to build, so you'd be able to make hoards of them.

18. Jazzmail

Jazzmail Chieftain

F-15s did very little compared to other US fighters.
    Compare a total of 107 kills by F-15s of all nations who ever bought them, to 379 kills by F-86 sabres in the korean wars alone.

The f4, the f86, the f16, all seen more action than the f15.

19. Jokeslayer

Jokeslayer Dedicated

I presume you're referring to the American War of Independence? Seriously, the redcoats were involved in more wars that just that one. A lot more in the 270~ years they were around for.

I agree with some of this. The Navy was extremely important in the creation and defence of the Empire, but so was the army, especially in somewhere like India and Africa. I can see the logic behind using a naval vessel as the English UU (especially as it is English, not British) I just think there's also a good case for the redcoat and that it's heavily supported by the gameplay elements.

Edit to Add: I think you're ignoring the impact of the British army on European history. The navy was more important to a place like north america, but its impact is much less in strictly European terms, where its major role has been to buy time. I guess in the end it depends on your viewpoint: American, the navy is more important. European, and the case for the army looks a lot stronger.

20. modernalextg

modernalextg Chieftain

I definitely think th British navy is and was important, and I can see how they chose the M-o-W, because England ruled the seas for plenty of years, and they had an amazing navy. They had great trade networks with their various ships, trading slaves, sugar, ivory and all that other stuff in Africa and the Carribean. I just think that England is better represented by the redcoat then the M-o-W. I had never even heard of the M-o-W before Civ, but I definitely had heard of the redcoat.

So, yeah, I probably think that since the redcoat is more "iconic" then it is the right UU for England. When you think of England, you're more likely to think of the Redcoat than the M-o-W.

I want to make it clear that I don't ocmpletely dislike the M-o-W and I think it is extremely important in England's history, but I just think the redcoat is more iconic.