Favorite Civs?

I only saw two people say france and they were both on the last page.

Lately, I have been on a France kick. I really like their starting Techs and their attributes. Their UU is pretty good because that is usually when I go to war.

France
Maya
Dutch (when I play with a lot of water)

I have been on a France kick. I really like their starting Techs

i think that Frances starting techs are the 2 best in the entire game, because they are the most expensive/useful... Alphabet is the most expensive, and the Wheel *im pretty sure is their other starting tech* is tied for 2nd most expensive, but is far more useful than the other of its cost, making The Wheel, and The Alphabet the 2 best starting techs

Masonry and Alphabet.

I like Masonry so that you can produce two settlers to start settler factories and then the capital goes straight to the great pyramids.

It may not be the best strategy but it works for me.

I like the Industrious attribute so that the workers are faster. Commercial is nice too. I am usually pretty low on money but with France i have plenty of money to rush things and have a reserve.

i think that Frances starting techs are the 2 best in the entire game, because they are the most expensive/useful... Alphabet is the most expensive, and the Wheel *im pretty sure is their other starting tech* is tied for 2nd most expensive, but is far more useful than the other of its cost, making The Wheel, and The Alphabet the 2 best starting techs

Aphabet is good if your going philosophy sling and playing Great Science Leaders on.

The Wheel as a starting tech is good for identifying horses quick and getting your troops there to seize the resource, but maybe pottery could be better to rush a granary on cap with a forest chop.

Bronze Working at start is also great since you go Iron Working faster then anyone else making you seize iron sooner (hipoteticaly).

France starting techs are alphabet and masonry. Great combo if there is ivoiry around or if you are Hannibal (NM + cats :) ).

My favorites starting techs are alphabet/pottery. Pottery to make settler/worker factories, alphabet to research writing and philo ASAP. Writing + early contacts = tons of techs.
QED: Henry :beer: Mursilis both rule! ... or almost :hmm:

Speaking of alphabet and writing, can anyone explain me why we get alphabet BEFORE writing :confused:

Speaking of alphabet and writing, can anyone explain me why we get alphabet BEFORE writing :confused:

Because the Firaxians involved in the design and decision making around the tech-tree didn't do their schoolwork properly...

But no sweat, they corrected this, and many other of such errors, in Civ4!

It was also much worse in previous installments of the Civ series.

I like egypt, religous means you can easily switch to whatever govt suits at the time, industrious workers are great, getting territory upgraded at the start and cleaning up pollution later on

babylon, the free tech at the start of an era can really help, esp if it;s one the others don't have, bowman is a good UU too, can take and hold a city

france, great traits, good UU.

but i generally play with a random civ, they all have strengths and are good if you can play to those strengths

No Love for Japan ? My favorate Civ. for War.

One turn Anarchy between Govts is IMO the most powerful trait available.

Cheap religious Buildings, and 10 turn barracks at any location.

The UU Samurai is fast, can cover a whole Map in 2-3 turns, and in small and medium stacks roll over Musketman and often take down Rifleman in Cities and Cav. in the open. Past that, he comes in the Feudal Era, and will by winning a combat set off a Golden Age at a useful time when you have the ability to build the important city structures/wonders fast.

My new favourite civ: Korea! :smug:

Great traits without early GA, slowest expansion there is, useless UU. What could be better? :goodjob:

Seriously, I love them. :)

I cant see Korea as a favorite. They do have decent traits. But the Hach'wa Is really not worth having as a unique. Dont get me wrong. if you like it. you like it.
Not like the H'waacha :eek: This is the best non-fast UU. No exceptions. Two words: lethal bombard. Kills enemy with no damage to the unit. How can you not like it? :crazyeye:

No Love for Japan ? My favorate Civ. for War.

I'd like Japan a lot more if militaristic was a more useful trait and if their UU wasn't an optional tech. I like India, but dislike them for having a unique knight.

On lower difficulty settings, I go for an early war to give me the edge, with the persians. I like the french for higher levels, or the indians.

I'd like Japan a lot more if militaristic was a more useful trait and if their UU wasn't an optional tech. I like India, but dislike them for having a unique knight.

On lower difficulty settings, I go for an early war to give me the edge, with the persians. I like the french for higher levels, or the indians.

Well.....;) .I also played a lot of Persia for Warring but often the lack of Iron in C3C at any reasonable distance means no UU and those 4-7 anarchy turns from Govt. switches is a Game Killer at higher levels and late game. Even if nearby Iron gives you a UU, it also means an early Golden Age which I don`t prefer.

I prefer the Japanese or Celts for War.

Miltaristic ( Japan ) gives you cheap & fast builds on walls and barracks and unit combat seem to get great Leaders more often. Just IMHO you know.

The French start with Alphabet and Masonry, actually, but you're right about it being a very useful starting pair (the most expensive pair is Alphabet and Bronze Working, I believe, althoug Alph+Masonry is probably the second most expensive pair). It actually gives you immediate access to researching Mathematics, which means you'll probably get a monopoly on that pretty valuable (in the AI's eyes) tech. That's catapults way before everyone else, or if you're lucky resource wise, Ancient Cavalry. I don't play with the French very often, but they're usually quite a bit of fun when I do. I'm always a big fan of Industrious. I'd like commercial more if it cut Marketplace shield cost in half (like Religious does to temples) but it pairs well with Industrious [roads roads roads! money money money!]

Another upside to the French: their UU is such a great defender it kinda makes being attacked fun. (GOOD LUCK killing a Musketeer in a hill city, pal.)

The French start with Alphabet and Masonry, actually, but you're right about it being a very useful starting pair (the most expensive pair is Alphabet and Bronze Working, I believe, althoug Alph+Masonry is probably the second most expensive pair)

Naw... Alpha cost-5... Masonry and Wheel-4... Bronze Working-3... so the Top 3 are Alpha, Mas, and Wheel...

Getting back on topic... i don't think people see the power in Russia's traits

Scientific-Libraries now cost less than temples! and give 1 more culture, bonus tech on each level, and idk if this is true, but it seems that i get a slight bonus in poping techs and less gold/settlers/auto-cities from Goody Huts

Expantionistic-early expantion!!! Easiest way to make a large empire FAST! and not to mention you get the scout which was made to pop those Huts, and after a short time playing the game, you realized you popped just about every tech in the Ancient Age before the AI has made their 3rd city!!! **that happened to me last game... only monarchy was left, even popped The Republic for early switch**

Not to mention the Cossack is amazing, and w/ blitz, makes it one of the most valuable UU's in the game!

Next fav civs.... Ottomans, Byzantines, **Newly Persia** i wasn't very happy w/ them before, but now they are amazing!

Top 3

Japan - love the samurai. Religious trait is pretty good too.

Greeks - very strong in the early game. Hoplites are awesome defender early on.

Germans - love the panzer. very strong for late conquest.

In Vanilla it was 3/4, yeah

I was referring to C3C, which I've become so accustomed to, in which the Musketeer is NOT ONLY 2/5/1, but has defensive bombardment as well.

Celts have an overpowering 3-2-2 swordsman. I'll take that over any UU. Agriculture is a superior trait. Religion is a good trait.

Iriquois have a 3-1-2 horseman, Agriculture, Commercial. I'll take the Geltic over the Mounted Warrior; not sure about Religion vs Commercial.

One of these is the best civ in my opinion.

Im surprised few people mention japan and their samurai...very strong units that are fairly effective in combating Cavalry.

I play the English a lot simply because I am English and for whatever reason I like to be myself :lol: But, as far as who i think are the good civs, the Iroquois and their MW are pretty dominant early on, the Persians with the Immortal can wreak havoc, and the Japanese with the Samurai are the three most dominant UU's IHMO..

Top Bottom