1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Civs?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by modernalextg, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Taras Bulba

Taras Bulba gone

#1-RUSSIA-it is perfect for my tastes.... i like early start on the tech tree, early expantion, and good UU, which if used right, the Cossack is REALLY good from Blitz

#2-OTTOMANS-it is the next best thing for my taste, and Sipahi has an amazing attack

#3-CHINA-Riders.... that is all i have to say, easy long distance early war w/ no roads...

#4-SUMERIA-Although i used to hate them with my guts, i got SO big the very first time i used them, that it looks like i fought in 4 wars already, which i didn't fight any

#5-IROQUOIS-I like the unique trait combo, different from what i usually take, and MW is amazing early on

my hated civs.... which i am determined to conquer my fear of using them:
    EGYPT!!!!-i hate them with my guts because they ruined my taste for the game... long story short, she really kicked my trash my very first game
    FRANCE-i don't really like the whole Commercial factor, plus i don't really like Musketeers
    ARABIA-I just really think the Ansar warrior stinks.... idc if it is cheaper, i don't like cheap, i like strong or faster, plus i don't like religous
    INCA/AZTECS-I don't like either of their UU's, and i just don't really like them... i guess personal biases

2. Mursi lives

Mursi lives Warlord

Funny. You like chinese riders, you like fast units ... and you dislike ansars ?:confused:?

3. btfx

btfx Prince

Riders cost 10 more and have 1 more defense and 1 more move.
    Ansars cost the same and have 1 more move.
    I suppose he could like defense? China's industrious and militaristic though, I like the Ansar warrior more, but china's traits own.

4. Taras Bulba

Taras Bulba gone

i forgot that the ansars had 3 movement too.... but as btfx said, i don't like the less defense. It takes away, plus i don't like arabia

5. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

If you have to cross deep borders, the Ansar is more likely to get counterattacked because of the low defense. And the other stuff too, if you lose anything for a UU, it should be cheaper (I dislike the Keshik for the same reason). Also not overly enamored of the religious trait, as it's main advantage is if you try to win a cultural victory, temples and caths are cheaper. The Ansar, my friends, is blowing in the wind. (pun intended)

6. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

Carthagians.

Dutch.

Sumerians.

Celts.

7. axehaxe

axehaxe Prince

1. Mayans (perfect for deity level)
    2. Greeks (perfect for deithy level)
    3. Vikings (good for emperor, possibly higher)
    4. Dutch (ok for deity)
    5. Sumeria (still ok for deity, tougher)
    6. Persia (not on this list past emperor level)

8. axehaxe

axehaxe Prince

I completely agree. The ansar truly DOES blow candles out. The rider's defense value is good. The ansar's defense is not only low but personally I feel that their 4 attack is not much of an advantage. I would maybe take ansars if their attack was 5 their defense was still 2 and they were 80 shields with 3 movement points.

9. Taras Bulba

Taras Bulba gone

then i would LOVE Ansars, i mean, 5 attack with 3 movement then is perfect for earlier wars **since chivalry is in the begining of the ME**

10. Mursi lives

Mursi lives Warlord

If you cross deep borders and take the city, the roads are yours and you can protect the ansars with pikes.
    If you dont take the city, you will be left with a bunch of redlined units and 2 or 3 def probably wont make any difference.
    For the first cities you attack, you can look at their defence with the embassy screen just before declaring war. For the others, the AI is very predictable: everyone to defend the capital and minimal def elsewhere.
    When you are not sure (i.e. when attacking a big core city) you still can bring pikes first.

So IMO the 3 mvt really fastens the conquest and the 2 def is certainly worse than 3 but not that worse.

Otherwise, even if the rel/exp combo can do wonders in big pangea maps, I agree that China's traits are better. I was just talking of ansars.
    And Taras Bulba is right: A 5/3/2 ansar for 80 shields would be overpowered. Basically a cav at the begining of the ME.

11. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan The Ruler of Cattle

Okay so I have played the game and I have decided that I do have a favorite civ: The Dutch. Made a huge empire of metros, then switched to fascism(for flavor) then started a new game and saved over it =P. So, yeah, the Dutch....

12. HyCrest

HyCrest Chieftain

France is easy for me to play w/ because I like the industrious trait.

Food seems real strong so I would look at Civs like the Dutch.

13. MadScotsMan

the french are great because of commercial/industrial though, with that whole snowball affect of commerce

14. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Warlord

My favourite scenario is the Byzantines on an archipelago map. Having your Dromons dominate the sea and devastate coastal improvements is a thing of beauty. Not the best civ, but the most entertaining.

15. AAsiK

AAsiK Chieftain

I've played quite a few games. Usually as the English (for the commercial and seafaring traits), the French (commercial and industrial) and America (Since in the beginning you can get more techs, cities, and gold)

However, playing as the Celts I did the best. Twice in a row. Why are they so powerful? They are always a powerful civ to play against as well...I don't get it. Guess I don't need to. So long as they kick other civs out the window!

16. pickle

pickle Lord of the Preserves

i generally play random civ, and have yet to notice an obviously weak trait, but i do like the short time between govts in a religous civ

currently enjoying handing the ai their asses on a plate with with japan

17. MadScotsMan

religious/militaristic=Jihadists! No, really, large empires, always conquering those infadels

18. civverguy

civverguy Emperor

1. Iroquois- MW rule! Great trait combo too
    2. Maya- Great trait combo
    3. Byzantium- With dromons, I won't have to worry about getting invaded.
    4. Persia- Won my first victory as them. Immortals are pretty powerful
    5. France- Great defender unit and trait combo

19. RFHolloway

RFHolloway Analyst in the UK

C3C list

1 Celts (agri + gaelic swords - need I say more)
    2 Sumeria (agri + sci + cheap defense - good when I am reaching up an extra level)
    3 Babylon (because I play lots of 100k games)
    4 Byzantines - Dromons are fun
    5 England - MoW are fun because of the enslave ability

20. CEO Daedalus

CEO Daedalus Gibsoneer

I cant see Korea as a favorite. They do have decent traits. But the Hach'wa Is really not worth having as a unique. Dont get me wrong. if you like it. you like it.

(just added)
    Shoudve read first:lol: