Votes: 19 15.4%
  • Renaissance

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Industrial

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • Modern

Votes: 9 7.3%

• Total voters
So future era is magically not even a choice :sad:?!

I pick industrial. Although renaissance are the most typical break-out-and-get-a-game-winning-position wars, industrial doesn't get enough love. Industrial grants a few unique things:

1. Access (finally) to 100% :hammers: multipliers outside of IW/HE.
2. Very powerful units against earlier eras (infantry/arty just walk over renaissance or earlier with no effort).
3. The single indisputably longest period where you can war without having your military obsolete. Nothing beats infantry in the field except tanks, modern armor, gunships, and mech infantry. Of those units, the only ones that come reasonably close in tech are tanks. But the typical unit to accompany infantry is artillery (which handles bombardment and actual attack with high ease), which also allows for anti-tanks. 3 resourceless units completely own everything until the future era basically: infantry, arty, and anti-tanks. Also, if the AI gets cute with going gunships, SAM infantry is only 1 tech further, while advanced flight is a LOT of techs away from AL/Artillery. To sweeten the pot, anti-tanks and of course SAM infantry intercept, too.
4. If you aren't AGG or Vikings, supreme naval raids are now open to you for the first time.

So this era allows you to utterly dominate earlier eras and remains quite effective at war, production, etc until very close to the end of the game... Unless the AI can put together an appreciable amount of modern armor, such a stack can be devastating.

The problem with the industrial era is empire management. I'm also often in a "now I only want to get this game over with"-mood.

I voted medieval. Map looks sweet at this point since most land is settled, but not completely roaded. Stacks are at a decent size and you got a nice selection of units. City micro is still fun. The game is not decided yet, but you pretty much know who will be a threat.

But I do have to admit that in quite a few games I enter the medieval with civil service and then it's over 2 techs later with education.

Renaissance! Why? Cause it has the most club bangers by that one cool mofo Bach.. pretty too.
Ancient and medieval are fun gamewise.

What's with that music for the modern age? :wallbash:

Industrial workshop spam mixed with panzers.... WIN!!! :D :D :D

The problem with the industrial era is empire management. I'm also often in a "now I only want to get this game over with"-mood.

I get that way too. It gets to the point where I have clearly won, and am just going through the motions. I am tempted to teach my dog how to finish up for me.

i picked ancient cuz, rise of roman empire, alexander the great and the celts are all interesting civs :)

If you are winning all the time pre-industrial, maybe you should try playing a more challenging difficulty.

Also, panzers tend to suck other than the fact that they're tanks...kind of like ballista elephants.

If you are winning all the time pre-industrial, maybe you should try playing a more challenging difficulty.

Also, panzers tend to suck other than the fact that they're tanks...kind of like ballista elephants.
I just moved up to Emperor, and 2 of 3 games I have crushed the computer in... I guess I will step it up a notch then.
The hints/tips I got from this website have really put me over the top as a player. I used to be good, but now I have refined my skills to the great level.
Immortal time? I guess so.

I just moved up to Emperor, and 2 of 3 games I have crushed the computer in... I guess I will step it up a notch then.
The hints/tips I got from this website have really put me over the top as a player. I used to be good, but now I have refined my skills to the great level.
Immortal time? I guess so.

Oh yeah? Well, Sid Meier calls me for playing tips. So there. :mischief:

What's with that music for the modern age? :wallbash:

It's the new minimalism, and it's quite excellent. Look up Adam's "Nixon in China", or "Doctor Atomic".

I like Modern, and Future when available (Future War, etc.). At that point you have the widest range of units and options and some large empires to take down. For those who like Epic or Marathon, it's the goal of the game.

I like the Modern era the best. Its when the game picks up the pace. What I mean is like if have Factories in your cities they get their much needed production. And now you should have lots of :science: which you can then slingshot through all the techs. And like the one poster said that warfare gets more interesting, it does with all the new modern-era units. Air units, Tanks, Naval Units it just makes the game much more interesting.

Medieval... you have the most tech parity there, and the defense can really make some stands. Castles, knights, macemen, trebuchets...
Castles I find to be very cool.
This is also a time when space is probably severely limited, so this leads to more wars too.

I like the tech choices you have to make here to get to your way out of the period.

Interestingly, of the civs I made, most of them were rolling high during this period too.
Renaissance would be next... then classical.

no actually I like castles for there extra trade bonus

Oh yeah? Well, Sid Meier calls me for playing tips. So there. :mischief:
Can I have his number? After my last game, someone's going to get a lecture... :trouble:

I voted Industrial for the good warmongering. I usually rush to Assembly Line, so I can steam roll the AI's rifles. I usually play Terra, so I can load up a Transport with 2 settlers/defender combos, and later airlift the settlers to the new world. Oh, and there's also the levees, factories, and other fun buildings.

It's the new minimalism, and it's quite excellent. Look up Adam's "Nixon in China", or "Doctor Atomic".

It's devoid of aesthaetic value and the added end-of-round loading times you're seeing in the modern age only adds to the mindnumbing repetitiveness :hammer2: repetitiveness that is the essence of this frustrating music. Might as well admit it: it's postmodern toss, written by this guy :twitch: and never even meant to be artistically appealing... oh dearie.. if someone actually liked my music, then I'd have to deconstruct it again... repeat ad absurdum

Naturally I respect our differences of opinion though

I voted Industrial because the new units like infantry and artillery cut through my enemies lines like a knife through warm butter muahahaha,but I have to admit that the renesance is intersting too because it gets crowded city wise and gunpowder makes it's first apperance and of course the usualy won by me Lib. race which I use to get rifling muahahaha again.So in military acrtion the industrial is like a upgraded renesaince.

voted for ancient era. nothing comes close to that feeling of starting a new game ripe with all the unknown random permutations and possibilities slowly unfolding in all of the game's glorious plenitude in the next hundred or so turns. it is the era when i am most cautious, deliberative and giddy.

ancient era means that my cup of coffee is still hot and brimming and that the night is still young. just the way i like it. aaah civ.

Top Bottom