Favorite game play settings?

Multiplayer(6-7 players): Ancient, small, pangea, new world, abundant, balanced, online speed, dynamic turns.

Actually it's almost like default excepted for new world. Under new world the number of hills raises drastically and it balances production a bit more, since hills are actually overpowered. A player with no hills is condemned to death.

Huge map
15 civs, 18 CS (More than this I feel hurts the AI's too much)
Epic speed (So normal by V standards :p )
King difficulty
Continents detailed, modded so there are less coastal tiles that are not next to land tiles. High seas. This usually results in fully separated continents (So two "worlds" that meet in the Renaissance (for one world anyway or via Norway)
Settings wise I think I have everything else as standard.
I play my own mods that alter the game a lot as well. Generally less science available, more production and basically the only way to get gold is trade routes...

Continents map. Standard everything but balanced starting location. Resources can be abundant. Emperor difficulty (I think it's the sweet spot where the AI can keep up in terms of science without making it an eternal catch-up game for the human player).

Giant Earth, Ludicrous Size (230 x 115).
24 Civs, 60 City States.
Marathon Pace.
Emperor or Immortal.

Allies do NOT share Visibility.
No Barbarians.

I got bored playing the TSL version, but I now like...

Resource Exclusion Zones: Deactivated.
Real World Deposits: Deactivated.
Civ. Placement: Map Generator.
Start Position Link: Random.

All other settings at Default.

This beautiful Earth map. My battle to take Rome was epic. Although maybe more epic because of a few mistakes I made. Rome declared on me, so I wasn't in the best position and lost 2 frigates and if I recall correctly, 2 land units. This was an epic game. My very first Augustus Caesar victory. I usually don't play large or huge maps due to slow downs, but this map can be doable, especially if you conquer everyone. :D Even then though, the in between turn times can still get up there. I could have conquered the city states as well, but I usually don't. I like city states, but I keep the number low to keep in between turn times to a reasonable level.

As for my battle to take Rome, I did make the mistake of leaving the encampment in tact. I like to leave them in tact so I have them for myself once I take the city. But in this case, in a peninsula, I should have taken it down as it allowed units like knights to easily cross the river and attack my siege units. I also made the mistake of having 2 frigates in the Adratic sea who became trapped by encampments and eventually taken down by crossbowmen. I honestly didn't think crossbowmen could take down a frigate, but I guess they take the crew out when they go on shore leave.

The final results was a nuking of Rio De Janeiro.

Ahhhh, nuking Pedro. Brings back fond memories of many a Civ V ending.... :trouble:

Rome, huge continents @ epic speed. 2X with the Time X All In One mod but with the time extension deleted, so it's still 750 turns, not over 1,000 turns.

Increased penalty for attacking across a river (-8 instead of -5). Have tried to increase the uncertainty of combat by decreasing the minimum and increasing the maximum damage done; not certain of its effectiveness and haven't the patience to do studious testing.

I play nothing but standard continents, as Egypt 90% if the time.
The game is already unbalanced enough even with vanilla settngs, I feel like tampering with them just makes things worse.

i like the huge marathon setup. although some things take ridiculously long to build in that setup. even with optimised producgtion over 300 turns not unusual.. that is a balance question i hope weill be resolved. i did not like 6 in the beginning. but well it is civ i love it but it needs a lot ot tweekeing yet

I started playing with a mod that moves the ability to build holy sites to robotics, effectively removing religion from the game. It is staggering how much more challenging it makes the AI.

i like the huge marathon setup. although some things take ridiculously long to build in that setup. even with optimised producgtion over 300 turns not unusual.. that is a balance question i hope weill be resolved. i did not like 6 in the beginning. but well it is civ i love it but it needs a lot ot tweekeing yet

300+? If you're not talking about building a wonder in a newly founded city, you're doing something wrong there. I rarely see numbers above 200 (well, among things which I would reasonably want to build in a new city with low production)...

I'll play a variety of maps, depending on who I am and what kind of game I want. But two things that are almost universal for me are: Epic game speed and New world age. Standard speed is way too fast, especially once I start pouring out the science. I hate sending my troops off to war and having them be obsolete by the time they get there! Epic speed makes them far more valuable and long-lasting. It also means you have to be much more on your toes with tactics. Losing one unit is much more costly, so it challenges me to be a better general. Also, hills are just awesome. I love hills! Unless I'm playing as Scythia I'll nearly always pack my maps with extra hills.

I just loaded up a Primordial wet jungle/woods filled world, with the Prehistoric Wildlife Mod (excellent!). I added natural wonders+ and maxed out the natural disasters. No Civ States- Playing as Kongo along with other ancient type civs with decent Steel and Thunder units (Maya, Inca, Aborigines, Zulu, etc.). Seeing African forest elephants battle it out with T-Rex and saber tooths, not to mention battling the natural world, is proving to be an exceptionally FUN experience! I highly recommend you give it a whirl!

Primordial, low sea, disasters 4, small map, abundant resources, 10 CS.

I don't want to up my map size until I upgrade my computer.

Top Bottom