Favorite Super Smash Bros. Melee Character

Who's your favorite SSBM character?

• Mario/Dr. Mario

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Pikachu

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Fox, and I'll count Falco

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Captain Falcon, and I'll count Ganondorf, even though they're fairly different

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Zelda/Shiek

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Jigglypuff

• Marth

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Roy

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Donkey Kong

• Samus

• Link, and I'll count Younk Link

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Ness

• Yoshi

• Kirby

• Bowser

• Ice Climbers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Luigi

• Mr. Game and Watch

• Mewtwo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Peach and Pichu)

• Total voters

tombeef

King
With all the SSBB talk going around, I decided it was about time to revisit SSBM. So here it is, pick your favorite character. Obviously, I had to omit some characters, and group some. If you choose "other" or a pair of characters, please state who you are voting for.

The reason I didn't combine Pichu and Pikachu is because I figured Pichu wouldn't get any votes in the first place.

I decided to vote for Marth, who just beat out Mario, because I think I've beat more 3 fighter teams of level nine AI as him. :goodjob:

In my opinion, Roy barely wins by 0.01 cm over Marth. They both are great characters, I just think that Roy is stronger.

Roy, because his name is cooooool!

(Actually I can't remember which one I picked out of Marth and Roy, but both of them were awesome. Captain Falcon and Ganondorf were both good too.)

Mr Moron said:
Fox, there is really no question about it honestly.

Ok. Why? Not saying he is bad, but I wanted to ask a question, since you said there isn't one.

Swiss Bezerker said:
Ganondwarf.

Did you mean to speel it like that? Or is that just a really funny typo?

tombeef said:
Ok. Why? Not saying he is bad, but I wanted to ask a question, since you said there isn't one.

Is it Falco or Fox who has the blaster that stops the enemy? If Fox has that blaster then I see why he chose it.

Thank God that Slippy wasn't in SSBM!:rolleyes:

Tycoon101 said:
Is it Falco or Fox who has the blaster that stops the enemy? If Fox has that blaster then I see why he chose it.

Thank God that Slippy wasn't in SSBM!:rolleyes:

Falco stops/stuns an enemy with his blaster, but it's slower.

tombeef said:

He is very fast for his weight. Compared to other characters as fast as him, he flies off the screen much less. His normal attacks (especially his up smash and jumping up smash) pack a good deal of punch. Once your opponent is at about 50-60% (depending on their weight) a well timed mid-air attack well send almost anyone flying off the top of the screen.

His B attacks do lack a certain punch, but have good utility. Fox Fire and the Shield can both throw off your enemies positioning, and I find Fox Fire to be on of the easier to Triple Jumps to recover with. The shield has the added pretty much removing all missile attacks from the picture. This can be especially devastating to some characters, like samus who rely on them heavily. Even against opponents with little or no missile attacks it still does a good job of limiting item use.

My only gripe with fox is his throws, which are very lacking. But overall he is an extremely well balanced character. He has got decent punch, good speed and doesn't fly off the screen when he gets hit by a single heavy attack.

Mr Moron said:
He is very fast for his weight. Compared to other characters as fast as him, he flies off the screen much less. His normal attacks (especially his up smash and jumping up smash) pack a good deal of punch. Once your opponent is at about 50-60% (depending on their weight) a well timed mid-air attack well send almost anyone flying off the top of the screen.

His B attacks do lack a certain punch, but have good utility. Fox Fire and the Shield can both throw off your enemies positioning, and I find Fox Fire to be on of the easier to Triple Jumps to recover with. The shield has the added pretty much removing all missile attacks from the picture. This can be especially devastating to some characters, like samus who rely on them heavily. Even against opponents with little or no missile attacks it still does a good job of limiting item use.

My only gripe with fox is his throws, which are very lacking. But overall he is an extremely well balanced character. He has got decent punch, good speed and doesn't fly off the screen when he gets hit by a single heavy attack.

First off, Fox is better than average in my opinion, probably one of my seven favorite characters. But, I will make my counterpoint as to why he is not a top character in my opinion. Fox is lightweight, he is fairly easily knocked around. Although his up smash attack and up attack in the air (Flip Kick, and McCloud Flip, repectively) are good for KO's, Fox doesn't have a lot moves that do too much damage. He is better using his speed to overcome one opponent, I think he is not as good in multiplayer. The deflector shield looses its value when one learns to use a regular shield in the same way. Still,he is fast, and has solid short and long range attacks.

Bowser, Yoshi, and Mewtwo are the ones I play the most. I voted Yoshi, because I think he'll be lonely.

tombeef said:
First off, Fox is better than average in my opinion, probably one of my seven favorite characters. But, I will make my counterpoint as to why he is not a top character in my opinion. Fox is lightweight, he is fairly easily knocked around. Although his up smash attack and up attack in the air (Flip Kick, and McCloud Flip, repectively) are good for KO's, Fox doesn't have a lot moves that do too much damage. He is better using his speed to overcome one opponent, I think he is not as good in multiplayer. The deflector shield looses its value when one learns to use a regular shield in the same way. Still,he is fast, and has solid short and long range attacks.

I find most folks that are harder to kick around than fox are far too slow for my tastes. He is at just the right balance for me. If you go heavier than fox you have to go a lot slower. If you want to go faster than fox, you have to go much lighter.

The shield doesn't lose any value when you learn to use the normal shield. In fact the two work best together. You've got more than twice blocking power of the normal shield when you use both together at the right times. You are right his moves don't do a ton of damage on their own, but they are fairly solid combine with his speed you can set up some decent combos or just get in the decent hit when you need to. Foxs strongest point is his balance and flexibility. Many other characters have much stronger strengths but also much bigger weak points. Fox has no single huge flaw that can be easily exploited.

Mr Moron said:
The shield doesn't lose any value when you learn to use the normal shield. In fact the two work best together. You've got more than twice blocking power of the normal shield when you use both together at the right times.

Again, I like Fox quite a bit, one of my 7 favorites. But the normal shield does everything the deflector shield does, it deflects items, lasers, projectiles, etc. While it may be hard to time it that way, it is possible, and that's when the deflector loses some of it's value.

Fox's blaster is really, really good in stamina mode, btw.

tombeef said:
May I ask who these 1 on 1 battles are against?

My cousin(who is scarily good with Pikachu and Dr. Mario) and brother(who is close to unbeatable with Samus), and any Level 9 comp.

I can use Link very well. He has the right balance between longrange and short range attacks imo. While his (B) moves other than (B, Up) are fairly weak, they are good for keeping the opponent off balance whilst building up damage. Then a good Smash will knock them off the side. Also, he has some good grab moves that i can use very well in a combo. eg, Grab, chuck into ground, B-Up. Gives at least 20% each time, and will knock them along way. His jump moves, specifically Up and Down and very powerful and will often bring a KO. Although he is fairly slow, and he doesnt jump very high, the rest of his abilities make up for it.

Can anyone here, besides me (yes, I know that's considered bragging) beat three level nine AI all on the same team, in stock, time, and coin, and bonus?

tombeef said:
Again, I like Fox quite a bit, one of my 7 favorites. But the normal shield does everything the deflector shield does, it deflects items, lasers, projectiles, etc. While it may be hard to time it that way, it is possible, and that's when the deflector loses some of it's value.

Fox's blaster is really, really good in stamina mode, btw.

Well almost. You lose ground on hard hits with normal shield, and it doesn't have the bonus of punishing an opponent who overestimates their position or makes a mistake. But the real bonus of having the second shield is to avoid the wear down that comes with the normal shield. There have been multiple times where i've had to defend from a series of very rapid strong offesives that would have torn the normal shield to the point where I couldn't for fear of it breaking. Those little bursts of shield really do add up many times.

It of course is probably a personal taste thing. You state Marth and Mario as two of your favorites. Both of those characters are way, way too slow for my tastes (your just asking to be danced around those guys). Marth has some good range on his attacks to make up for it but playing mario is like playing a sloth with no arms.

Can anyone here, besides me (yes, I know that's considered bragging) beat three level nine AI all on the same team, in stock, time, and coin, and bonus?

Wouldn't know. I've never played AI for any purposes but what me and my friend call "Jigglypuff Beatdown", which is it's own thing. It's just one of those games that just really feels wrong anything but multiplayer.

Top Bottom