[Feature] Additional Wonders

For the Guadalupe Basilica, can you make it's building restricted to new world cities with pagan temples and catholicism as state religion.. and maybe somehow restrict it to Latin America? The basilica is famous because it's at the site of an ancient prehispanic pilgrimage site and because it's a symbol of how catholicism took the native religions and merged them onto itself. The gold it provides "from cities in the continent" would mean both North and South America, right?

How many columns should there be from the enabling tech to the obsoletion tech? I'm afraid there are a lot of the new wonders which in real life were only utilized for a short time.

Anyway, I made a copy of the Google Sheets spreadsheet posted in this thread and put my suggestions here. Bright yellow ones are existing ones that are changed. https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ak26bwNbPWbFgccb0GcS88j3y0X9UA
I'll look into the list.

My criteria for obsoletion techs are usually a combination of historical use and balance. For example, the Great Lighthouse lasts until the Middle Ages because that's when it was destroyed. Other wonders however still exist but expire because the culture it exists in entered a period that suggests positive effects are over, for example Spiral Minaret with Economics. I don't think a wonder should expire earlier than four columns after its prereq.

Hey, not sure if Global Seed Vault is being included or if anyone mentioned this but I think it should have a latitude requirement similar to Space Elevator, except Arctic/Antarctic not Subtropical.
It's included (you can find a sheet with included wonders linked in the OP). Latitude requirement is also a good idea, so far I thought I'd require Tundra in the city area.

My criteria for obsoletion techs are usually a combination of historical use and balance. For example, the Great Lighthouse lasts until the Middle Ages because that's when it was destroyed. Other wonders however still exist but expire because the culture it exists in entered a period that suggests positive effects are over, for example Spiral Minaret with Economics. I don't think a wonder should expire earlier than four columns after its prereq.

I see. I had envisioned some of the wonders to expire after only 3 columns, or even 2, depending on the actual history of the wonder. I'll try to update the list accordingly with this in mind.

In some cases that might be more realistic but I think it diminishes the value of the wonder too much.

The icons of most of the new wonders are fine for the most part, until it shows up in the city tooltip as big pink squares. Is this because of MIP maps?

No, it's because city tooltip button paths cannot have whitespaces which I did not account for everywhere.

New update:
- implemented effects for Silver Tree Fountain, House of Wisdom, Gur-e-Amir, El Escorial, Potala Palace, Saint Basil's Cathedral, Blue Mosque, Itsukushima Shrine, Louvre, Shalimar Gardens, Hermitage, Guadalupe Basilica, Amber Room
- removed war weariness modifier from Gur-e-Amir
- removed free Banks from The Bourse
- civilopedia displays custom effect entries before produced great person type

For the Guadalupe Basilica, can you make it's building restricted to new world cities with pagan temples and catholicism as state religion.. and maybe somehow restrict it to Latin America? The basilica is famous because it's at the site of an ancient prehispanic pilgrimage site and because it's a symbol of how catholicism took the native religions and merged them onto itself. The gold it provides "from cities in the continent" would mean both North and South America, right?
Sorry for the late reply. Guadalupe Basilica requires Catholicism in the city and Catholic state religion (as usual for Catholic wonders), plus it needs to be on a different continent as the Catholic holy city. This effectively guarantees its location in Latin America (Spain and Portugal are most likely to research the tech in time), although technically the Philippines or French North America are also possible, but that's fine I think.

I originally intended it to include both North and South America but the way the implementation turned out it is currently North America only, if built in Mexico.

- civilopedia displays custom effect entries before produced great person type

The hover text for wonders with a custom effect is now a bit weird.

Oh is it? Didn't check that.

New update:
- implemented effects for Triumphal Arch, Mole Antonelliana, Neuschwanstein Castle, Palace of Nations, Bletchley Park, Sagrada Familia, The Motherland Calls, Berlaymont, World Trade Center, Atomium, Iron Dome, Harbour Opera, Lotus Temple
- corrected National College button
- corrected text ordering in building tooltip
- refactored and simplified defensive pact limit implementation, should likely not produce noticeably different results

Congo is one of the only civilizations without a Wonder currently. How about the Cathedral of the Holy Savior? Requires Catholicism and Bananas to ensure it is built at least not in Europe (perhaps you could restrict it from being built in the New World also somehow). The effect could be something like +1 Commerce per civilization with the same state religion (mimicking how early Congo established real diplomatic relations with European states), or maybe some benefit to Priests in cities with access to tropical resources. Just spitballing. Not sure about tech but has to be something early so Congo can build it (but still blocked from Euros due to the Bananas requirement). Would obsolete maybe at Economics or some similar-level tech.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_the_Holy_Saviour_of_Congo

Congo is one of the only civilizations without a Wonder currently. How about the Cathedral of the Holy Savior? Requires Catholicism and Bananas to ensure it is built at least not in Europe (perhaps you could restrict it from being built in the New World also somehow). The effect could be something like +1 Commerce per civilization with the same state religion (mimicking how early Congo established real diplomatic relations with European states), or maybe some benefit to Priests in cities with access to tropical resources. Just spitballing. Not sure about tech but has to be something early so Congo can build it (but still blocked from Euros due to the Bananas requirement). Would obsolete maybe at Economics or some similar-level tech.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_the_Holy_Saviour_of_Congo
If it's going to represent diplomatic relations, why not +1 Commerce per Open Border with a civilization with same religion?

I think the Oriental Pearl Tower is too weak now. As a represent of the developing of Modern China, it could be more powerful. How about to add "+100% foreign trade route benefit in all coastal cities"?
That's a bit powerful.

New update:
  • added Metropolitain wonder (art by merijn_v1)
  • implemented wonder effects (all are implemented now): Global Seed Vault, Gardens by the Bay, Burj Khalifa, Channel Tunnel, Oriental Pearl Tower, ITER
  • implemented wonder requirements: Al Khazneh requires Oasis in city radius, Delta Works requires only water and flatlands in city radius
  • changed Image of the World Square effect: +1 trade route per culture level
  • renamed The Mausoleum of Maussollos to the Great Mausoleum
  • increased maximum trade routes to 10
  • added wonders to 600 AD and 1700 AD scenarios
  • changed some tech requirements to more accurate columns or to spread wonders across techs more evenly:
    • Park requires Measurement
    • Colossus requires Bloomery
    • Great Mausoleum requires Cement
    • Dujiangyan requires Writing
    • Prambanan requires Politics
    • Notre Dame requires Commune
    • Alamut requires Compass
    • Blue Mosque requires Academia
    • Nalanda requires Philosophy
    • House of Wisdom requires Alchemy
    • Taj Mahal requires Urben Planning
    • Image of the World Square requires Geography
    • Itsukushima Shrine requires Logistics
    • Mole Antonelliana requires Assembly Line
    • Neuschwanstein Castle requires Film

Last edited:
Two wonders I would still add immediately if there is good art:
- Abbey Mills Pumping Station: requires Hydraulics, free Sewer in all cities
- Menlo Park: requires Electricity, +25% commerce with power (change Crystal Palace to +2 free engineers)

Another wonder I might add with a good effect: Floralis Generica (art already exists)

Since the Great Wall is now exclusively Confucianistic - have you considered the Limes/Hadrian's Wall as a knockoff for the classical west? (Edit: Of course you have. So I promise to not present a simple copy that would make it not-unique)
Having played a bit as Rome now, a little reward for barbarian-squashing is much needed: You get some generals and experience against gauls and rival civs, but the later hordes are really a chore.

Regarding requirements: Construction, not built in core/historical area, and also at least 6 (8?) non-core cities. Similar expansion doesn't exist for most other classical empires, except for Greece, who is also an acceptable candidate to build it imho.
Regarding costs and production bonus: It should be pretty expensive without bonus - and stone shouldn't grant a bonus, seeing that the Limes was woodworks, earthworks and landscape sculpting in most parts. But each wall in a non-core city could give a +25% production modifier, as should forts if any exist within borders. This represents how the defenses of the Roman Empire all worked together to form a multi-layered defense. Or possibly, the Limes could be erected automatically once the 8th (10th?) non-core wall has been built, so that the player doesn't need to actively build the wonder.
Regarding effect: A culture bonus of only 1, and a similarly small great engineer bonus. If not zero. I can think of several alternatives for the main effect, but the economic one is my favorite:
- military: enable regular Great General points for defeating barbarians (would lead to a high number of generals though).
- military: allow the owner's military to gain experience up to 17 XP points in fights against barbs, thus a higher XP cap - I had a few dozen legions around who were all at 10 XP...
- military: +50% against barbarians and +25% against other enemies, inside cultural borders

All of these possible military bonuses however lessen the pressure that should lead to Rome's downfall. So instead I propose
- economic: awarding some wealth per defeated barbarian/enemy, inside cultural borders (I'm thinking about slavery, but it's depending (on civic?): could be wealth, production, science, culture, great statemen points, espionage?). The task to defeat all the barbs has still the same difficulty.
Regarding the art: Not a Limes all around the borders. A single Limes tower in one city should be enough as a representation.
Finally an early expiration date: Feudalism and Fortification seem to be obvious obsoletion techs - so the medieval civs can't profit at all.

Of course, my game experience comes from 1.15 again, but I have given the Aqua Appia some thought: Except maybe for Rome, I didn't encounter health problems in 1.15, seeing that they already get aqueducts and baths. Shouldn't the effect be "free baths in all cities" instead of "+2 health" on top? Just my 2 halfpence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom