February 2021 Update - Patch Notes Discussion

Is anyone else getting "empty" barbarian camps without the bar nor units?

upload_2021-2-26_11-46-27.png

Is anyone else getting "empty" barbarian camps without the bar nor units?

View attachment 587774
Maybe you're using a mod that makes this happen? Try disabling all mods and then slowly progressing until you've figured out which mod is causing this. CQUI doesn't work with this mod if a post on this forum is correct.

Maybe you're using a mod that makes this happen? Try disabling all mods and then slowly progressing until you've figured out which mod is causing this. CQUI doesn't work with this mod if a post on this forum is correct.

Looking at your top bar, you're using a UI mod. CQUI has been confirmed to cause issues, others probably do as well.

BTW, I do get proper sites. I wonder if it's the game running out of barbarian clans names and spawning a non-tribe site? I tested heavily increasing the BARBARIAN_CAMP_MAX_PER_MAJOR_CIV and the amount of non-clan empty sites increases as well.

Peaceful Civ is not the same as a Civ without military power. To me, “peaceful play” doesn’t mean you ignore military, indeed you need military and defensive structures, eg walls, encampments, to be peaceful, because you need to both discourage and defend from aggressors. Indeed, you actually need some military force to make friends with Civs, because if you don’t have a reasonable army early they will just surprise war instead of being friendly and trading.

While playing peaceful, you only invest in military power if necessary. In some games you need to defend yourself, in others you're either isolated enough that the AI will leave you alone, or your neighbors are all friendly and you can declare friendship, completely removing war out of the equation. You won't always need an army, walls or encampments (you'll never need encampments). For a peaceful player, these things are optional, which goes back to what I was saying in the other thread, about military policies being situational: They can be good, even essential under certain conditions, but they're often weak or completely useless in early game, if you're being peaceful. One military slot is more than enough if you're peaceful, and the second is often a dead slot. Seriously, you don't need a dedicated slot for conscription if you don't have a large army, in the same way you wouldn't dedicate a slot to Caravansaries. The yields are the same.

Has crowded maps of city-states been common to you since the last update?
Since the last update, I noticed that my home continent is crowded with city-states everywhere.
I selected a huge size map and 12 city-states, and none of them appear to have emerged from barbarians.
Has anyone else noticed this?

Spoiler :

Since the last update, I noticed that my home continent is crowded with city-states everywhere.
I selected a huge size map and 12 city-states, and none of them appear to have emerged from barbarians.

Spoiler :

Want to know what's really weird? Last night I did a huge map with 18 city-states. Yet as I played the game I saw there were actually 32 of them on the map! What...

Well.. i can only conclude that far TOO many --Barbarian Clans-- automatically convert to CS!! Even on my initial gameplay (against 4 Civs with 5 CS on a standard Archipelago map, etc)... the CS count has risen to 15+ by turn 140.. still climbing from what i could explore (up to around 60%). I've managed to keep a single Clan active for awhile (nearly 110 turns) to gain all three achievements, each of the rest has fallen directly to a wacky concept design. What's worst is that any new Camps aren't spawning at all & if they *do* into the fog.. they also swap as fresh CS almost immediately.

Mode broken, AFAIC.
PS; It might be caused by some Mod conflict(s) in fact. "Civitas--City States" comes to mind since it expands on both the spawning cycles and CS types, etc.

Ideally, some of the starting "Camps" should be much more likely to keep their Barbaric status beyond the currently flawed ruleset tricks.

Last edited:
Well.. i can only conclude that far TOO many --Barbarian Clans-- automatically convert to CS!! Even on my initial gameplay (against 4 Civs with 5 CS on a standard Archipelago map, etc)... the CS count has risen to 15+ by turn 140.. still climbing from what i could explore (up to around 60%). I've managed to keep a single Clan active for awhile (nearly 110 turns) to gain all three achievements, each of the rest has fallen directly to a wacky concept design. What's worst is that any new Camps aren't spawning at all & if they *do* into the fog.. they also swap as fresh CS almost immediately.

Mode broken, AFAIC.
PS; It might be caused by some Mod conflict(s) in fact. "Civitas--City States" comes to mind since it expands on both the spawning cycles and CS types, etc.

Ideally, some of the starting "Camps" should be much more likely to keep their Barbaric status beyond the currently flawed ruleset tricks.

We may need some more examples of Modded and Un-Modded games to confirm this, because my experience has been exactly the opposite: the majority of Clans are getting destroyed by City States or Civs before they've gotten anywhere near converting, and the first converted City State didn't appear until the Medieval Era.
I suspect that possibly some of this is due to having a lot of Militant Civs in the only game I've had time to play for any time: Shaka, Genghis, Monty, Basil, and Tomyris didn't leave a lot of anything near their borders as far as I could see!

Mode broken, AFAIC.

Okay but thats great that 'too many' spawn cause that means conquering them doesn't feel nearly as bad man.

Yup... there are a lot of specific incode factors to consider **IF** someone tries to explain how this gameplay concept (should or ultimately must..) evolve through the basic 50/100+ turns.

In the meantime, i'd have to suggest an enhanced variation (via modding IF any genius out there is interested!) of the basic principles when these Camps progressively switch to CS.

Just KEEP their very cool Names & Logos as is while the swap officially occurs... refer to the custom mockup GFX below for clarity!
It certainly could help us tracking down whatever happens during that critical period while we consult the rapidly changing CS report stack.

BC--CS_Keep_Name+Logo.png

Please?! I beg you, someone. That's not some fancy request.. more like a pure QoL feature that even solves a few of their (Firaxis) strange, buggy or accidental concept issues, IMO.

Something odd just happened in my first game with the Barb mode enabled: I managed to chop out the Stonehenge and received both a Great Prophet AND an apostle. The apostle has the wrong religion, but his possible promotions include Debater, so I'll use him to vanquish any missionaries that get lost in my lands. Though on second thought that might spread the wrong faith among my people, or does it? Will have to find out. Still strange that I got both.

Spoiler :

My first thought was if only that was Pericles, instead of Gorgo.
Then I saw Rough Rider Teddy and realized he must be excited. :lol:

My first thought was if only that was Pericles, instead of Gorgo.
Then I saw Rough Rider Teddy and realized he must be excited. :lol:
If he got Owls of Minerva as well, he is going to have a really good time.

re: audience chambers - what player going tall is going to want to promote a ton of different governors instead of spending all titles on a single governor (IE Pingala or Magnus)?

Is it just me or is it not possible to save leader pools between games? Do you have to manually set it each time unless you save configuration (in which case you have to manually change the seed?)

If you save your configuration with a blank seed, it will automatically generate a new one when you create the game.

Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but Oligarchy used to be so good for America :( No green slot to turn into a purple slot makes coco a sad sea plane.

re: audience chambers - what player going tall is going to want to promote a ton of different governors instead of spending all titles on a single governor (IE Pingala or Magnus)?

Everyone? I'm not sure what's your logic here. You can max a governor before you reach the Renaissance. So the question is, why on Earth would you be spending titles on Industrialist and Vertical Integration for Magnus, or Space Initiative and even Curator for Pingala, long before you can even use them?

Plus there's Reyna to consider now too.

Top Bottom