1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

FFH 2 and Civ 5

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by paincave, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Emptiness

Emptiness []

That made me laugh. Much of what I'm hearing about CiV and the design philosophy behind it sounds bad. If it sucks, and there's limited potential for modding, why would I buy it? Maybe Sid doesn't realize that CiV will be in competition with FfH2. CiV needs to be an improvement over Civ IV + FfH2, and I don't mean nicer graphics.

2. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Honestly, I really doubt there would be any kind of restrictions on the mod community. It's bad for their business at this point, as one of the first things people think when they hear "Civilization" is mods. ;)

3. Abremms

Abremms Prince

you clearly haven't been hearing enough then, even in this very thread it is stated that firaxis has gone on record saying civ5 will be even more moddable than civ IV.

Spoiler :

for what its worth, as amazing as FfH2 truly is, its not in competition with civ5. the vast majority (millions of copies sold vs. a few hundered thousand that downloaded FfH2) of people who bought civ4 never downloaded a single mod, and the same could be true of civ5 depending on how well they execute the in-game mod-browser. Don't get me wrong, i love FfH2 and its modmod offspring, but saying it is in competition with civ5 is just delusional.

just look at how much of a departure from Civ4 FfH2 is. if you had given me a list of FfH2's features back before i discovered modding and was just playing base civ4, i would not have believed it. I have no doubt that the modding community will be able to work the same magic on civ5.

when it comes down to it, we don't know much about civ5 yet. but the biggest thing we DO know is that the lead designer came from the modding community and seems fully commited to delivering a game with unprecidented moddability.

4. Emptiness

Emptiness []

Maybe I've been listening to the wrong people, then. I certain hope you are right.

I understand that only fraction of Civ IV players have downloaded a mod, but they all have the potential to do so. I guess I should have said "in competition among those Civ players who know about mods". My point was that, for those people who have bought Civ IV the cost to play FfH2 (or any other mod) is effectively 0. If the choice is to download a quality Civ IV mod for free or shell out cash for a bad CiV I would think that many mod-savvy players would save their money.

5. Valkrionn

Or buy a bad civ5 and work on a mod which makes it good. :p

6. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

Or... don't let me say this, it's not appropriate for official forums :).

I try not to be happy too much before the game is released to avoid disappointment, but the fact that they continue to work on the series is good. If something goes wrong with Civ5, mods and Civ6 will always solve it :p.

7. Colin

Colin Warlord

I'm still waiting for the big feature announcement that makes me start to count down the days until civ5 is released. While hexes and no stacks are certainly welcome additions, I've yet to see anything which really makes me think 'wow, I can never go back to civ4 now'. If civ5 really offers more potential for realising the vision the FFH team had in mind then of course a sequel would be very exciting. Personally though, I think FFH seems complete - I can't think of anything that really stands out as lacking due to the platform it was developed on. Now if the FFH boys were to go off and develop an independent game from scratch based on FFH, that would make me sit up and take notice!

8. Kranden

Kranden War is the real diplomacy

Yes!!!!!!!!!!

9. Lord Alvon

Lord Alvon Chieftain

They'd have to change the "one unit per tile" thing.
    Otherwise, assassins would suck...
    And, how could the archmages summon anything?

10. cyther

cyther Lord of the Dance

Archmages could have some sort of summon range where they could select the tile. or possibly the summon could appear near the summoner. I think that assassins would be able to walk though enemy lines, maybe they could start out with invisibility.

11. deanej

deanej Deity

Or you could just allow summons to coexist with other units (which we know is possible; you can have one civilian and one military unit on a tile). The assassin mechanic would have to be changed but I'm sure they could stay in.

12. Quetz

Quetz The Tallest Lilliputian

I will point out this quote from the Civ 5 website's Features list:

Sounds good to me.

13. deanej

deanej Deity

That's also marketing speak. We don't know what it translates to in RL.

14. JonathanStrange

JonathanStrange PrinceWithA1000Enemies

Well, I'm waiting for the AI to launch a over-sea invasion and if it takes Civ V to do it, then I'll be there!

15. Valkrionn

You can actually get that in FfH; Hell, just by tweaking the existing naval units to serve clear roles (reduce the overabundance of assigned AI's, add some NotUnitAI's, change upgrade paths/cargo/strength) you can get a decent naval AI. Without python. Though python helps, at least in getting the AI to go for the proper techs.

I've put off my changes for now (later patch, for a reason I can't go into detail about) but with about 4 minutes of XML work I had civs settling on other islands. It took a while for them to get the techs, but they DID do it.

The barbs used it the most, though... Completely outrageous, in fact. Took out 3 civs after they'd pacified their islands, were some very concerted attacks. Each barb city did nothing but produce ships for the barbs to crew and raid from. Was awesome. :p