FfH Roleplaying Game Saturday!!

To my understanding the time posted as a starting point is 17.00 in UK time zone.(correct me if I'm wrong!). Currently, as it is summer time used -- it is GMT + 1.

Middle European Time in Germany is same as Central European Time (CET), and currently (in summer) it is GMT+2.

So, the time we set up a game is currently 18.00 in current German time.

But let's better show up a little bit earlier, as... you can never know.

im in tomorrow, hope it ll be a good game, seems like alot of new peeps around nice we could have a nice 9-10 player game?! i still think erebuscontinents is the best map gameplaywise, greetings and c u tommorous

Well, I'm definitely in tomorrow too, just the same quick double/triple check - are most people looking for a 17:00 GMT start time or the 17:00 UK time (one hour later)? I'm fine with either big or small games, however many players we get, should be fun.

Earlier the better. I suppose its the 17:00 GMT ... whichever is noon eastern :D

That said, it always takes a good deal in start up, and the longer a game lasts the better, so earlier than that is always cool

To my understanding the time posted as a starting point is 17.00 in UK time zone.(correct me if I'm wrong!). Currently, as it is summer time used -- it is GMT + 1.

Middle European Time in Germany is same as Central European Time (CET), and currently (in summer) it is GMT+2.

So, the time we set up a game is currently 18.00 in current German time.

But let's better show up a little bit earlier, as... you can never know.

oki doki thx.
:king: the earlier the better?
okay X)

[...] just the same quick double/triple check - are most people looking for a 17:00 GMT start time or the 17:00 UK time (one hour later)? [...]
17:00 UK time is in fact one hour earlier than 17:00 GMT.:) In other words: at 17:00 in UK it is still 16:00 in GMT zone. Nevermind, we aim to start as early as possible.

IRC is broken again, don't forget hamachi network "ffhchat".

We should get a new chatroom and a new sticky post. None of the people who own the old chatroom even turn up anymore.

So there was talk of a Sunday continuation of the Saturday game, bumping this to see who is around. Didn't want to let anyone down yesterday but I did have to go, it had been like 7 hours, and we'd been talking about saving for a while. So I'm up for a continuation or if not I could be in for a couple of hours on a shorter, quick game if others want.

If you are going to start up a new game I wouldn't mind playing. I've only gotten to try multiplayer a couple times and that was quite awhile ago. Is IRC the best way to get a hold of people or should I just join whichever Hamachi server? (ffchat appears to be pw protected)

Two nice games on Saturday and Sunday. Both have potential for continuation.

On Saturday the Kuriotates were lead by Cardith Lgaarda. They found their settlements in the remote corner of Erebus’, with some jungles and forested grasslands and hills. Although squeezed between harpy-event (turn 1!) driven cultural expansion of their northern neighbor – Sidar, and the southern ocean, the noble nation managed to built three metropolia. The relations with the Sidar were good, as both leaders were concerned of the presence of another neighbor – the numerous orcs from the Clan of Ember, growing in strenght at the coast of the "Bay of Pigs".
The situation evolved very slowly (“medium speed” in settings:thumbsdown:). I don’t know about the rest of the world (Belseraphs, Luchuirp, Sheaim, Elohim, Hippus and Svartalfar), but the only war at my part of the continent was a ‘preventive’ sneak attack by Sidar against Clan, as “orcs were extensively building their forces for an invasion”. The attack was moderately successful, one city was taken, but the danger from the growing strength of orcs’ marauders was not mitigated. And just after the war started we decided to lay aside a game for continuation on the other day.

But on the other day, not all people showed up (Tas, you were a key person missing!), so we started another game. This time I entered the stage as Lgaarathiel of the Bannor. Quite nice start, I ended up with 4 cities (average result for that kind of a small map), all surrounded by villages/towns and mines. Good basis for The Crusade(tm). Unfortunately, AV was founded (by Belseraphs) far away, on the other side of a map. After buying friendship of neighboring Hippus (with kind diplomacy and promise to recapture Hippus city that had been claimed by Loki), the crusade started. Handful of axemen, demagogs and crusaders, lead by Valin, and blessed by confessors, rushed (ok, crawled, well, snailed) through Hippus land, and than Khazad land… and then… desert… and then… Eventually got to the first, well defended Belseraph blasphemous settlement. Snail-speed Bannor crusaders blocked roads to block the movements and engage demon worshipers’ armies in skirmishes, while quick Hippus horsemen were taking city by city. Three of them were taken, but unfortunately not an unholy city of Ashen Veil. Well… razing the unholy city was a main (only?) aim of this war campaign, so it could not be called fully successful.
Then, the Hippus decided to quit the war, and no money were able to buy their loyalty. Bannor crusaders, abandoned by their allies, stuck in the deserts of the eastern coast of a Mediterranean sea, had no choice left. Charge the unholy city, no matter the cost! The cost was in fact ultimately high. All forces destroyed, Valin dead, unholy city unclaimed. Failure.

Nice epic story. I found it climatic to be eventually left alone with the holy quest. Good move, Marco. Seriously, no sarcasm here, I find it was a nice contribution to the story.:)

By the way, Bannors are ok. My PC is not. It is a neolithic age technology, which is not supportive in any manner to tactical maneuvers in Civ 4. Need to scrap it soon.:badcomp:
Bannors are ok. Long distance crusade with speed 1 demagogs is not. Need to set closer target next time.;)

I hope we will come back to the "Bay of Pigs" game.

Play Decius Bannor next time then, commando Demagogs! Fun for all the family (except Grandma and Grandpa).

And ZOMG I'M NOT ACTUALLY DEAD!
Saying that however, back into FFH seems about as far away as a new computer. Or employment, for that matter :/

ello.
liked the game on sunday.
it was like rp X)

only one thing : CRUSADE

omg the brave and peacefull hippus were lead into war by this bannor warmongers:goodjob:

and...LOKI must die!

greetings

Yeah ... Im thinking of starting another Morrowind game as an Uber RP Sheiam Adept. ... Skellingtons anione? :mwaha:

I don't have much to add about the Sunday game, I was the isolationist dwarf, built up just fine but wasn't involved in any conflict - that said, if it was to continue, and we relaxed rp rules a little, things are set up for a monster war between various factions, and seems pretty balanced at the onset as well.

But, I will tell a little of the story of Earthworm the Unmentionable, Chieftain of the Clan of Embers. We orcs found ourselves initially alone, in a Southern region of the map, not even in sight of a single unique feature. Braduk the Burning was growing into a fine city, and for a while we had our sights solely on our own orcish concerns. Early exploration revealed these facts - The beautiful and enslavable Rhoanna of Hippus to our North (led by an AI, which was a source of major, major disappointment as we had a player who was going to join as them, but another player quit and so that role was taken instead, and so I was stuck with an AI neighbour. I didn't feel it fair to abuse the AI in war or against another civ) Further northwest we found the Khazad, and across a peninsula to our east, past the cold of Letum Frigus, the vast borders of the Sidar, boosted by some unknown cultural power. Directly North of our capital was the site of what would become the lifeblood of the orc empire - the vast Bay O'Pigs, upon which the first glorious city we founded was the bustling Pigsport.

Early events in the game transpired in a way that may have seemed typical for an orc. Barbarian tribes attacked other nations, we looked for weaknesses which to exploit. Then, one glorious year, the great warlord Orthus gathered up warriors in his war against the Bourgeoise (Orc Calendar definition: uppity humans we no like) which in this case were the Khazad. Many goblins united to our cause by ancestral magic gathered, as did several of our wolf riders as we descended to watch, and possibly participate in the action. As a side note, it was in this time that these distant goblins informed us of the beautiful, super secret hidden special island of fish, apart from the rest of the world which our orcish sailors vowed to one day settle.
(island south of the dwarves, they may have found it too, but the map was big and had a lot more wilderness some places than one would expect). But, back to the Orthus front, where the warlord was doing some serious damage to the dwarven settlement of Halowell I believe. Our orcs were contemplating moving in for the kill, as we had a grudge against the dwarf for defiling the temple of Bhall (someone destroyed the Pyre, might not have been the dwarf, but in-character the orcs didn't know).

But then, a surprise! Our forces spied an army amassing from Rhoanna of the Hippus, heading straight for the dwarven lands. Realizing that the conflict to come was indeed between the dwarves and horsemen, and not ourselves, the orcish generals retreated. Orthus himself is even of another tribe, and his mistakes are not our own to pay for.
(It simply wouldn't have been fair to wipe out the dwarves that early, again, I was really disappointed with an AI neighbour, but that's no one's fault in particular. I believe SuperChicken was the dwarven player and he actually did a fine and fun rp job).

But, where did that leave us? With no blood to seek out and a lot of simple empty space, we orcs simply put our tremendous production capabilities to expanding
(warrens double settlers/workers too). Our people's faith in Bhall was, as always, foremost, but our priests had trouble convincing the populace that any faith we could adopt on Erebus was suitable. Distant negotiations with the Sheaim revealed their desperate urge to contact the Demonic forces of Agares - eventually we decided that someday we could carve out everlasting power as others struggled for the world, but let them to it (I also have to credit the Sheiam player for persisting in his situation, not the best economically with a war against the eventually AI-controlled Svarts. But I thought it wise to let them have AV, and after I couldn't seem to contact the Balseraph player, and some of the good nations were complaining I shouldn't go OO, I didn't either).

So, the orcs really just continued to expand with no particular aims, simply growing in number and wealth, even if lagging in knowledge. We were mistrustful of outsiders like the northern monks and their hoarding of knowledge, but had no war parties to send across vast distances. Eventually, orcish merchants establish some few trade routes with neighbors, at the time thinking nothing of opening borders to distant civs, and even the more nearby Sidar.

(Out of character note - I was extremely disappointed with how tech trading worked out in this game. I shouldn't have been surprised, it's happened before - the most fun I've had in our rp games do seem to be the ones where tech trading was off. Here, of particular note, we had no brokering on - which means other players can SEE who is giving whom techs. I'm not trying to blame one particular player, it could have been various combinations, but as a backwards orc I would often see players with 5+ techs in the "CAN'T TRADE" Column, the most egregious being the Hippus AI, who had 2 cities, yet seemed to share tech with the most advanced civ. True, it takes just one player to build a massive economy and be very advanced, but it takes others to simply accept sharing a ton of techs with no regard to rp - I do know I turned down some trades specifically because the Clan wouldn't take them, but that didn't seem to phase other players when really, why should Kilmorph, FoL, and Esus all be trading buddies?)

So, as time was winding out for this period of leadership of the orcs, a great surprise came to us. Our Sidar neighbours began speaking of great violence and bloodshed, no sooner could our panicked generals marshal their troops than invisible assassins began appearing out of nowhere, attacking our cities. Even more outrageous were previous demands by the Sidar that no orcish envoys passed through their lands - military passage was supposed to be closed to both sides, but we soon learned they could not be trusted.
(A side note - there was definitely some poor play on my part, which I didn't realize until idly watching the Bannor crusade in the Sunday game. I had COMPLETELY forgotten the Hawk unit can be used to spot invisible, because for ages now in my single player game Hawks/Floating eyes/any other equivalent produce crashes, so I'd gotten used to relying on promotions/empy priests and all if I really needed (not like the AI really matter with regards to invisibility. But this time I didn't see it coming ;)) However, the proud and brave orcish people held off the worst of the first assault and we began leveraging what we could into a quest for revenge and destruction, the energies of the Clan unleashed. (people had to leave, including myself, and that was it for the game, personally I'm not sure this one is the most continue-able).

Also, I'm hoping people enjoyed the orcish Calendar tradition, at least it might have made up for my slightly weaker capability at belligerent dialogue in general. I actually heard very little from anybody, must have all been private messaging, aside from the aforementioned Sheiam - it's true the game didn't progress very far on normal speed.

I can agree with Earthling and his 'tech trading' observation. I find it RP-destructive. If trading a tech is profitable in such obvious way, there is always a temptation to perform it, even if it brakes all lore. When some leaders start trading techs extensively, the others if fact have no other choice, and do the same.
It takes time, brings risk of breaching RP covenant and generally promotes 'to win' approach.

I agree which is why I turn tech trading off (like in sundays game)

Yeah ... Im thinking of starting another Morrowind game as an Uber RP Sheiam Adept. ... Skellingtons anione?

O.o I was just playing morrowind lol

Top Bottom