FFH2 .25 Balance Feedback

just a quick thought: if the elohim are able to see the unique features then maybe the amurite should be able to see the mana nodes from the beginning...

*sorry bout spelling... quick post...*

Nice Idea. I second this.

Yeah, the fact Philosophy does nothing now is a little annoying. What if it granted a free great person to the first to research it (probably either a sage or prophet)? Or your moving god king back idea could work to.

Philosophy could be required to build disciples (along with the religion tech), this is a faster "fix".

In .25 Philosophy is required to use Incense. This alone makes it a high priority if you want to gain some additional happiness.

I seem to recall someone mentioning animal units holding Orthus's Axe not making sense, and someone mentioning that it needs fixed so you cannot have the ENTIRE stack of units use it, but I just found another thing with the Axe (and any future items) needing fix for potential to expoit.

Hawks can carry the Axe, and rebase to any city.

Is it still the case that the AI players will never found a religion that changes their alignment? If so, I suggest we change this out for the "favorite religion" function, to account for the instance of all civs adopting runes, for instance, if that gets founded early, and then leavin the veil unfounded.

Is it still the case that the AI players will never found a religion that changes their alignment? If so, I suggest we change this out for the "favorite religion" function, to account for the instance of all civs adopting runes, for instance, if that gets founded early, and then leavin the veil unfounded.

Yes, an AI player wont research a tech that will change his alignment.

But I dont understand what you mean about the favorite religion function. Favorite religion is the ability of a leader to pick any religion he wants when he founds a religion, so if you found buddism you could choose to found christianity instead (its an attempt to follow history more closely).

Well, it's just a variable, we could have other function call it up, right? So we could have it so that if tebryn's favorite was the AV, he won't mind founding it even if I've already converted him to the Order.
But then, I'm not sure that would really be any better, so it doesn't matter.

Personally it often annoys me that I cant trade (or give) away a religious tech to a civ if it would change its alignment. I would prefer if civs were just less likely to convert, or to think the tech was worth as much. It also seems odd just how much the good civs seem to go for way of the wicked and malevolent designs.

That reminds me, AI often seem to overvalue religious civics. It make a lot a sense for them to value getting it first, but there should be a way to decrease the AI weighting once the religion is founded. The same would go for techs that allow wonders or heroes that have already been built.

is there a way to make the holy city random rather then your second city... or maybe having it randomly pop up in a city (maybe the civ that has the greater religious fav for that religon) and then the person who researches it will get a few follower of that religion.

Its supposed to be random, but it is weighted to not happen so much in capitals or in cities with many religions already present.

I just got an civil unrest event that destroyed several towns around a city with an unhappy population point. I'm fine with destroying mines, farms, plantations, etc but completely destryoing fully developed towns is a bit to much imho.

I guess that´s a placeholder event from the vanilla game, it even has the option to spend espionage points.

I hope that when the ffh2 team creates their own events they don´t add the many trivial negative bts events that only annoy you. I´m fine with bad events resulting from choices the player made (like adopting slavery) or obvious sources of conflict(veil and order in the same city).

It´s funny that Soren Johnson notes in the manual´s designer notes that they originally planned to have dark ages periods, but realized they weren´t fun and turned them into positive golden ages. Yet in Bts they reintroduce those unfun dark ages by creating lots of annoying negative events.

Yeah, I'm with you. I dont think there will be many events from BtS that we will keep. I like the disaster ones tied to a particular armageddon counter (so earthquakes and stuff start happening at high armageddon levels). And I like the one where friendly locals help your troops (bonus healing, only for good leaders). But outside of that I want to redo just about everything.

In particular the one where your mine collapses is more annoying that interesting. And the little ones where you get a + in a tile (groundhogs, etc) seem to insignificant to be worth the players time. Id rather have events more tailored to what is happening in the game (as you mentioned) and have the effects be bigger than some of the weaker events that are currently in.

Those insignificant (+1 in the plot) events have a place early in the game. It´s really nice when you have only 1-3 cities. So I´d keep them, but make them go obsolete with second tier techs(bronceworking/trade/philosophy etc).

That being said, here is some balance feedback from a just finished deity game with Tasunke of the Hippus.

1. The raider trait is massively overpowered. Free commando and bonus gold from pillaging alone would make this trait already a very strong contender for no.1 pick, but the added +1xp/combat makes it really broken. It is like a massively boosted version of charismatic, which is already the strongest trait in vanilla, where xp is not that important. I´d say drop the bonus xp and the trait will be more in line with the others.

2. On high levels the religion that gets founded first is usually totally dominant. The AIs usually have open border treatments and will quickly spam missionarys everywhere. This results in later religions not being adopted, or not even being founded, because everyone is good/evil when the dominant religion happens to be AV/Order. Games with a totally dominant religion are not particularly interesting, so I propose all or a mix of the following changes:

a) Give the AIs strong positive and negative weighting to particular religions. It´s already the case for Khazad and the Elves. I´d like to see some evil civs, particularly the Sheiam, (almost) never adopting the Order or Runes, so that they will still research the Veil and on the other hand good civs avoiding the veil/OO.

b) Make disciples national units like in vanilla to slow down the AI religion spread.

c) Make disciples only available with a certain tech (philosophy comes to mind), so that you have to rely on natural spread for a while.

3. Hyborem is always a sad joke. He will enter the game and pretty much immediately vassalize himself to the veil founder. He should really get an impressive demon army when entering the world, so that he actually becomes a power and will start wars. Of course that would make him rather easy to play if you choose to switch to him, but that would mainly be a concern for multiplayer.

4. Not so much a balance issue, but more of a gameplay issue: The famine event when the armaggedon counter hits 40 is the most annoying thing in the game. It makes destroying the world not fun, because you have to spend a ton of time rebuilding all your irrigation networks, which the dumb autoworker AI will not do. Please make it not destroy farms, but instead add a poisonwell effect to it that raises unhealthyness by a large amount for 10-20 turns.

I'll second the ditching of the +1 exp/combat idea. It makes the 100 exp cap from barb/Animal disolve basically, and since most of the leaders with Raider are supposed to be allies with the Barbs in some way, it defeats that purpose by encouraging them to kill Barbs more than any other Civ will want to (once you hit 100, why bother?)

As another note on Religion, maybe it belongs as a bug, but it seemed intentional. The one time I used Order for my religion, each time I used an Acolyte to spread the religion, I got a new Acolyte. Made the entire region Order in about 5 turns (would have been 1 turn if the cities were closer).

Top Bottom