Final Fixes Reborn

Ronkhar

Warlord
News:
September 2015: Beta Releases are relatively frequent (Changelog)
Short-term roadmap:
  • have 10 emergent leaders functional
  • publish new stable version
  • get player returns on emergent leaders mechanism (bugs, relative strength of leaders, xp speed)
  • continue changes

14th November 2014: standard version 14.11(=Beta Release R85) is uploaded to server. (changelog in odt or pdf)

Ashes of Erebus (AoE) is a mod trying to improve the mod "Rise from Erebus" (of which last version was in October 2012 at version 1.41) (Genealogy reminder :crazyeye:)

Summary
Spoiler :

• MAIN GOALS:
    • Make all units, spells, promotions playable
    • Make all civilizations playable (notably scions and mekara)
    • Emergent leaders: add code for the trait upgrade
    • Teach the AI how to play (notably d'tesh and scions)
    • Add help, strategy and history to obscure items (notably spells)
    • Mutliplayer: find the source of desynchronizations and repair it
    • Test game balance (we know that all religions are not equal)
  • DONE
  • TODO
  • Active members

• | XML code | XML text layout | python code | dll code | dll code for the AI | Civilopedia content | Translation | SVN Admin | last heard from
      Ronkhar|OK|OK|OK|basic|not yet|english,french|english => French|manager|--
      jungd|--|OK|--|--|--|--|english => French|backup|2014-11
      praya|--|OK|basic|--|--|french|--|--|2014-11
    • people who helped : Arquibus, blazenclaw, dunpeal, Hiryuu2, lfgr, mordax, ... TODO=complete list

Download and installation
Spoiler :

If you prefer quick and frequent updates (with the risk of some new bugs if I mess it up), choose the beta version:
- Case 1 (AoE not installed): please follow the instructions in "Beta version - SVN tool" (~2 GB download, ~4GB on hard drive)
- Case 2 (AoE Beta already installed through SVN): please follow the instructions in "SVN update"
- Case 3 (AoE Standard already installed): delete the mod, then follow the instructions in "Beta version - SVN tool"

If you prefer a slow-paced version (several months between updates) choose the standard version:
- Case 1 (AoE not installed): please follow the instructions in "Full installation" (800MB download, 1.4GB on hard drive)
- Case 2 (AoE already installed, version 14.4): please follow the instructions in "patch to 14.11" (4MB download)
- Case 3 (AoE already installed, version 13.10 or 13.12): please follow the instructions in "patch to 14.4" and then "patch to 14.11" (2* 4MB downloads)

Standard version - Full installation - Ashes of Erebus 14.11
  • Prerequisite: Civ4 :bts: patched to version 3.19
  • Prerequisite for Steam users: In your steam library, right-click on Civ4, open "Properties", tab "BETAS". In "Select the beta...", choose "original release"
  • Prerequisite: a file archiver (aka compression software), that can open .7z files. 7zip (Wikipedia article) is recommended.
  • Advice for Rise from Erebus users: finish your RifE savegames and uninstall RifE
  • Advice: save a profile of your current Civ options ("advanced", "options", "other", "create new profile"). If AoE messes with your options, you'll just have to reload your normal profile
  • Download version 14.11 (~790MB) and extract to ...\Your_Civ4_BTS_Folder\Beyond the Sword\Mods\
  • For players with low-resolution screens (width<~1300): By default, I upgraded the civilopedia for high-res screens. If you prefer the original pedia, just extract ...\Ashes of Erebus\Assets\pythonScreens - Old Pedia Layout (1024x768).7z to ...\Ashes of Erebus\Assets\python
  • For players with low-end computers (only one known victim so far): By default, the mod textures are compressed in a package file to accelerate game loading. Some computers can't handle it --> the menus do not appear when loading the game. In that case, please follow the procedure at the end of Noxic's post
  • Launch the mod using AoELauncher.exe ( ...\Ashes of Erebus\AoELauncher.exe)

Standard version - Patch to 14.4
  • Prerequisite: Ashes of Erebus 13.10 or 13.12
  • delete the folder Assets/XML/Text
  • copy the content of this archive (4 MB) into the mod folder and yes to overwrite

Standard version - Patch to 14.11
  • Prerequisite: Ashes of Erebus 14.4
  • delete the 3 following files: "RifELauncher.exe", "RifELauncher.exe.config" and "Assets/XML/Text/CIV4GameText_NewTags.xml"
  • copy the content of this archive (4 MB) into the mod folder and yes to overwrite
  • Launch the mod using AoELauncher.exe

Beta version - SVN tool - example using tortoisesvn for Windows
  • download and install tortoisesvn (where you usually install programs, for example C:\Utils\TortoiseSVN)
  • restart computer (necessary to load with windows explorer)
  • open Civ4 mods folder (for example="C:\Games\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods")
  • right click at any place in the folder, and click "svn checkout"
  • in the tortoisesvn window that opens, enter parameters as follow :
    • url of repository : svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/ashesoferebus/code/
    • checkout directory : YOUR_CIV4_BTS_FOLDER\YOUR_BTS_FOLDER\Mods\Ashes of Erebus
    • if you're not a C++ programmer, you can remove (avoid downloading) the c++ code by clicking on "choose items", check everything except the folder named "DLL Sourcecode(for coders only)"
  • once you hit OK, the software proceeds to donwload the mod to the right place
  • When it has finished, you can see "completed at revision ##". Acknowledge with OK.
  • You can now create a shortcut to the mod launcher (for example : C:\Jeux\Civilization 4 BTS\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Ashes of Erebus\AoElauncher.exe)

SVN Update
  • Normally, you can see a green check icon on the "Ashes of Erebus" folder
  • tortoisesvn regularly checks if the code on sourceforge has been updated. If it is, the green check is replaced with a red exclamation mark.
  • You can then continue playing your current version, or download the update (right click on the "Ashes of Erebus" folder, then "SVN update")

I want to help this mod
Spoiler :

• Do you know how to code xml, C++ or python? Or how to draw dds images? Or how to create or modify 3D models? Are you fluent in german, italian or spanish? Come join us! :)
  • Write new texts for the Pedia (lore, strategy, help)
  • Report bugs (see section below)
  • Play the mod with your friends, have fun together (despite the bugs ;)) and tell us about your experience.

Reporting bugs
Spoiler :

In all cases, please tell us the version you're playing (DVD or STEAM + AoE version)
If I don't answer your post(s), it doesn't mean I ignore you. Either I forgot it, or I put your info in the bug spreadsheet while I was in a hurry. Just send me a PM ("Hi, I posted something X days ago. What's your opinion?"). Either way, I apologize in advance

Case1: an error popup appears ingame (here is an example
  • Step 1 : verify if the bug is known. Look for the keywords in the bug spreadsheet (the last line showing a filename, a line and a function name. In our example, that's "CvPediaMain" and "placeFilterSort". Ctrl+F one of these words leads you to bug 46)
  • Step 2 : If the bug hasn't been reported yet, take a screenshot and send it (answer this thread or private message to me)
Case2: a crash to desktop (if you see a message asking for "no dump", "partial dump" or "full dump", you can safely choose "no dump")
  • Step 1: Try to reproduce the bug. Load the last autosave, and try to reproduce the same actions as before. If the game crashes again, it will help us find the cause of the problem.
  • Step 2: Tell us the list of actions that lead to the crash. If you're playing the latest beta version, please send us the savegame too.
Case3: an ingame behaviour you did not expect
  • Step 1: verify the spreadsheet (1st page will tell you if the bug is already known ; page 3 lists intended features that look like bugs)
  • Step 2: If it's a new bug, send us the details (text, screenshot, and, if you're playing the latest beta version, a savegame)
Case4: a desynchronization in a multiplayer game
Important note: We don't know why they appear --> no solution yet.
  • Step 1: send us the OOS logs (one from each player, located in TOFINDFolder/Playername - Player X - OOSLog - Turn Y.txt), and tell us if it was LAN or over the Internet)
  • Step 2: Try to salvage the game and continue playing. Load the latest autosave and change at least one action of a city or unit (thus changing the random seed of the game)
[*]Thanks for helping! :goodjob::worship:

For programmers
Spoiler :

• XML and python source code can be read directly from the mod directory (just open files with a text editor)
  • The DLL is compiled from C++ code. You can access it here or, if you downloaded the SVN version, directly in the "DLL SourceCode(for coders only)" folder
  • The source code for the launcher will be available soon (I only changed a few lines from anw's launcher. You can read its sourcecode at the former RifE repository)

Credits
Spoiler :

Study and edit .xml or .py files
- download and install Notepad++ (ctrl+shift+f is a real friend in searching strings through all xml/py files), optionally adding some useful plugins (XML Tools, TabIndentSpaceAlign)
- associate xml and py files to that software (instead of the usual notepad from windows)
- download and install winmerge to compare different versions of the same file. (the soft shows both versions and colors differences very efficiently.)
- TODO: add here a few coding rules:
--- indentation with tabs, but inline alignment with spaces
For example
Code:
		self.mapWidth = self.map.getGridWidth()
		if (self.climate == 0):                          # Arid
			self.maxWindForce = self.mapWidth / 12
		elif (self.climate == 1):                        # Normal
			self.maxWindForce = self.mapWidth / 8
		elif (self.climate == 2):                        # Wet
			self.maxWindForce = self.mapWidth / 6
		elif (self.climate == 3):                        # No ice
			self.maxWindForce = self.mapWidth / 8
		self.mapHeight = self.map.getGridHeight()

--- Encoding: Civilization IV is unable to read UTF-8. That's why we encode files with the old regional encoding ISO 8859-1
--- tags sorted alphabetically in thematical files such as Traits, Units, Promotions, ... instead of several huge files (ffh, fall further, ...)

Show python errors ingame
Change these booleans in the following file C:\Users\Your_name\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CivilizationIV.ini
; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 0
; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1
; Enable message logging
MessageLog = 1

Not sure about that one :
ShowPythonDebugMsgs = 1

Edit the DLL
I MUST READ THIS TUTORIAL

=======================================================================================================

Edit DDS images
- download gimp and its dds plug-in
- install gimp, copy the dds.exe file into the correct repertory inside gimp installation, for example C:\Utils\Gimp\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\dds.exe
- open gimp, open dds files
- then, you're on your own :p

Edit fpk files
- pakbuild

Edit 3D models
- download and install Blender
- Niftools

Civ4 Modding tutorials (civfanatics wiki)

Various informations
  • Creation of archive for good size efficiency
    .7z, ultra, LZMA2, dictionnary 512MB. Uses 6GB to compress with 2 threads, only 400MB to uncompress. (FF 0.31 Complete is 1.42GB. The 7z file is 760MB)
  • Placeholder text for empty strings
    text needs to be written
  • Art files, bundled in .FPK file PAKbuild tuto
    Fpk contains "art" folder, which contains "animations", "civs", "effects", "equipment", ...
    In FFPak051.FPK, I found (2013-05-23):
    • these (probably :p) useful files: textures (.dds, .tga, Gamebryo 3D engine files (.nif, .bf, .bfm, .h, .kf, .kfm), , .xcf (gimp image), .ico (icon), .bmp, .jpg, .png (the 3 classical image formats. Are they used by Civ4 or were they placed here for modder help?)
    • these useless files: thumbs.db (Windows miniature --> delete), bak (backup files --> delete), desktop.ini (Windows desktop --> delete)
    • these other files, whose extension I don't know (yet): .khf ori (1st line of file says "Gamebryo File Format, Version 20.0.0.4"), .kf warr(1st line of file says "Gamebryo File Format, Version 20.0.0.4"), .bpib (blender uses these), .dds~ (probably a backup of dds file), .max (1 file, 3DSMax??), .mtl (1 text file, mentions a dds file), .nif~ (probably a backup of .nif file), .obj (1 text file, mentions the mtl file, contains coordinates), .dds.orig (dds texture or related?), .settings (2 files called pikeman.settings)
  • Notepad++ "find in files" function
    ctrl+shift+f, filters "*.xml; *.py", folder "...Rise from Erebus\Assets"
  • Civpedia layout, when to use:
    • BOLD
    • [ H1] my_title [\H1]
    • [LINK=UNIT_NAME [I]or[/I] TECH_NAME or PROMOTION_NAME]text_linked[\LINK].
    • [NEWLINE], new line, no indent
    • [PARAGRAPH:1], new line, with indent
    • [PARAGRAPH:2], see for example TXT_KEY_CONCEPT_BLIZZARDS_PEDIA
    • TAB
    • [CT_NAME], for the player name
    • Colors (CIV4ColorVals.xml)
      • [COLOR_BUILDING_TEXT]gray[COLOR_REVERT]
      • [COLOR_HIGHLIGHT_TEXT]blue[COLOR_REVERT]
      • [COLOR_ALT_HIGHLIGHT_TEXT]green[COLOR_REVERT]
      • [COLOR_UNIT_TEXT]yellow [COLOR_REVERT]
      • [COLOR_NEGATIVE_TEXT]red[COLOR_REVERT]
      • [COLOR_WARNING_TEXT]
      • [COLOR_TECH_TEXT]
    • ICON_ANGRYPOP
    • ICON_BAD_GOLD
    • ICON_BAD_FOOD
    • [ICON_BULLET], for bullet lists (liste à puces)
    • ICON_DEFENSE
    • ICON_DEFENSIVEPACT
    • ICON_EATENFOOD
    • ICON_GOLDENAGE
    • ICON_GREATPEOPLE
    • ICON_HAPPY
    • ICON_HEALTHY :health:
    • ICON_MAP
    • ICON_MOVES
    • ICON_OCCUPATION
    • ICON_OPENBORDERS
    • ICON_POWER
    • ICON_RELIGION
    • ICON_SILVER_STAR
    • ICON_STAR
    • ICON_STRENGTH
    • ICON_TRADE
    • ICON_UNHAPPY
    • ICON_UNHEALTHY :yuck:

dito.
de même.

@Opuhara&Calavente : Thanks for your encouragement :)

looking good
will you incude jotnar and Frozen?

I think that's going into the "why not, will be studied" category. :D

I'm trying to focus on repairing this wonderful mod until it runs smoothly for every civ, with a complete/accurate civilopedia.
Then, I'll shift to expanding lore and adding new features.

jotnar are not "new features"... just that they weren't really balanced and AI compatible.

(do everyone know if maogata module works with final fixes?)

Err,
I know the civfanatics link redirects to moddB.
Once there, if I select "download now", I get "The file you have selected (RifE_1.4.exe) is not available via any mirrors. Please check back shortly as our servers update every 5 minutes. To access more download mirrors we encourage you to join the community, otherwise please be patient and keep trying."

I didn't try "download from Desura" as it requires yet another third-party program I've no use for. (and I've the RifE installer on my computer anyways)

If this latest way works OK, just tell me and I'll correct my error in the first post. :)

Err,
I know the civfanatics link redirects to moddB.
Once there, if I select "download now", I get "The file you have selected (RifE_1.4.exe) is not available via any mirrors. Please check back shortly as our servers update every 5 minutes. To access more download mirrors we encourage you to join the community, otherwise please be patient and keep trying."

I didn't try "download from Desura" as it requires yet another third-party program I've no use for. (and I've the RifE installer on my computer anyways)

If this latest way works OK, just tell me and I'll correct my error in the first post. :)

The "Download Now" option works just fine for me... No idea what's going wrong on your end, seems odd.

The mirror it sends me to is here: http://www.gamefront.com/files/files/21482511/RifE_1.4.exe

Maybe it depends on which country you're downloading to?

That, or perhaps registered users have access to more mirrors than guests.
(France isn't listed on the list of authorized countries for gamefront. Yet, I can download files from them)

If anyone can provide a direct link for the 1.4 soundtrack, I'll happily add it to the first post.

1 bug detected. Please confirm.

Civ: Calabim.

Units related: Bloodpet, vampire, vampirized units.

Description: that spell which kills a bloodpet to heal a vampire and allow him attack again, only works 50%, it heals but dont reload his attacks.

Checked with pure vampires and bitten ones, and Loshas too.

1 bug detected. Please confirm.

Civ: Calabim.

Units related: Bloodpet, vampire, vapirized units.

Description: that spell which kills a bloodpet to heal a vampire and allow him attack again, only works 50%, it heals but dont reload his attacks.

Checked with pure vampires and bitten ones, and Loshas too.

Thanks. I'll check that tomorrow.
PS : you've e-mail ;)

Top Bottom