1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Verdict: We want our stack back and other great cIV features!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by NobleJms, Sep 30, 2010.

?

Vote for which feature you'd like to see back in Civ V!

1. Stack (no more 1UPT): much easier to move armies around.

76 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Local happiness instead of the shallow global happiness.

117 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Multiple units for each strategic resource: makes more sense historically

36 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. The old slider system: makes for more dynamic gameplay.

92 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. No more purchasing units with gold.

19 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. Religion: what makes cIV the best in the series!

169 vote(s)
    14.9%
  7. cIV's great graphics: current graphics in ciV is a joke.

30 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. The old map grid: hexes does NOT make CiV look deep!

2 vote(s)
    0.2%
  9. Something else

103 vote(s)
    9.1%
  10. Nothing, i like Civ5 how it is :).

490 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. t0mme

t0mme Great Red One

I like Civ5 the way it is (or will be, when it stops crashing in strategic view). I do have a little beef with global (un)happiness, but that might as well be a matter of time before I come to terms with it. Other than that, mighty fine game.

And indeed, I don't want it to look like Civ4, I already own that game.

2. aziantuntija

aziantuntija Prince

Looks like the communism is overthrown ;). Because now we got this: "Nothing, i like Civ5 how it is :)." -option.

EDIT: Look at that! By adding that one small option in to your poll of many choices you almost instantly got huge amounts of voters and that option became instantly the majority :D.

3. Kaitsuh

Kaitsuh Chieftain

Have to be a pretty demented fanboy to not want at least one of those features back.

Voted for the slider, but was a tough choice since the other options are so crucial too. The slider system allowed for so much more versatile play, and the current system of how gold rules over everything is completely ********. You could really fine-tune your play with the slider, like drop all research for a while when you have some new fancy tech and need to produce gold for upgrades and so on.

4. knugen

knugen Chieftain

only if you cant count

5. ArataWata11

ArataWata11 Chieftain

I can't vote more than one so I voted for religion to have a comeback in subsequent expansion.

Hexes and one unit per tile are great features in the ciV. In the previous civ series, I never attempt to play civ in hard or king and up level of civ difficulty, because AI always kick my ass. Now I can stand toe to toe with those AI in king level of difficulty. hexes and UPT help me great in planning my offensive and defensive war strategy.

6. JoxerNL

JoxerNL Warlord

I am a very long time lurker, way back when Sisiutil started his first ALC with Monty, but i just registered to these forums cause of the constant negativity of whiners on these forums.

Now back to the topic :

First of all, how "DARE" you even assume you can speak for a majority, do you have delussions about yourself being some grande speaker?
    You do *not* speak for me, and many with me it seems, stop being a pompous ass or assuming your some big person cause your not, your nothing.

Second of all you seem to like to insult everyone who disagrees with you and actually like the game, cause "if they like the game, they are the wrong gamers".

It's of no use whatsoever to go into a normal discussion with a "gamer like you" OP, cause you just tell anyone that disagrees they are the wrong gamers anyways.

And with that i'll just leave it, your just a troll whiner who cant win @ CiV, do us all a favour and go back to C-IV.

-J

7. MadRat

MadRat Cheese Raider

I dont thin anyone can speak for all the civ players. I'd change the title - there is hardly minority that wants stacks back - YOUR opinion isn't the majority view at all.

I just want a non-cut-rate-lobotomy-recipient AI

Rat

8. wilmer007

wilmer007 Chieftain

+1

It's not even the insults is the fact that i put him on blast and then the very next reply after me it's him trying to defend his opinions. how come he hasn't replied to the last reply i made where i put him on blast because he can't defend what i replied back.

the fact is that 42% of the poll voters say they like Civ 5 the way it is. So now he has to defend his opinions because it backfired on him and he wasn't expecting that to happen. Almost 300 people say Civ V is great the way it is. I highly doubt these so called "Core" Gamers on the other forums are more than 300 voters saying they hate Civ 5.

He reminds me of the local scrubs at the local arcade i work at where the scrubs keep coming up with new excuses to justify why they are right and while thousands of other players are wrong and what he doesn't understand is that it has already been agreed by thousands on what the topic is about and now you have to sit there and explain to them why so and so game is so unbalanced while SSF4 is one of the best balanced games ever made. yet they sit there and cry (like OP) and they haven't played the game nearly enough time as me and instead of listening and learning they just sit there and cry to me to get me to believe they are right when everyone knows he is wrong.

OP needs to stop playing Civ period and try learning SSF4 at a professional level. Then just then he'll come back and play Civ again with the right mentality and understanding of how and why games are designed by taking feedback from the people who take the series very seriously at a professional level and why the developers don't listen to people who "think" they are professionals at the series.

Developers play the game they create more than we do so they know the mechanics of the game inside and out and when you are telling them something that they know don't make sense to improve the game they just ignore you. when they listen to what you say and they see that u know your stuff they will listen to you because two heads are better than one and you may have something that they didn't think about or it went overlooked. The obvious stuff OP has posted hasn't been overlooked by the developers it just flat out doesn't make sense and would make the game worse if they listen to stuff like his opinions.

9. Ignorant Teacher

Ignorant Teacher Emperor

That would be true in an ideal world. None of the Firaxis' testers was able to get an Apostolic Palace win when testing BTS so, unless they changed their testers completely (and the guy who picks the testers), I wouldn't praise them that much.

Yes, the mighty developers know best.
    I disagree with your tone and your opinion. I already stated that I don't trust the developers particularly, now let me say that, if the OP disagrees with the directions of the game, that's his right. It doesn't mean he's stupid, it doesn't mean he can't play, it doesn't mean anything other than he doesn't like Civ 5 and would like to have gotten a game he liked more.

I guess that after this time after the launch (what has it been? two weeks?), it's already time everyone cooled down and started to deal with the posts more calmly, without name calling or taking the dissenters as enemies.

10. jdp29

jdp29 Chieftain

I might be in a minority here but...

I'm glad stacks are gone. I hated trying to manage all those units. Not my style and I'd get bored after a while with nothing happening but making a SoD.

The graphics in the new CiV are great. I do recall when Civ 4 was released people were complaining about the graphics. When CiV three was released people hated the 3-d View.

Purchasing units with gold is fine. It is realistic, you can purchase stuff from Private companies instead of the gov't in RL if you wish. You can rush orders, ect...

Religion, while interesting, didn't really do that much. It wasn't really implimented correctly, and it was abused to no end.

Not sure how the slider system makes anything more dynamic. The new model simply forces you plan ahead a bit and be more dynamic in your planning instead of being static.

While I am still learning the game, I having more fun than with Civ 4, simply because I hate micromanagement, which was all Civ 4 turned out to be in my eyes.
    Civ 5 is more streamlined and you actually play, instead of manage an empire.

11. wilmer007

wilmer007 Chieftain

+1

Civ 4 was basically research and get a slight tech lead, then drop your research so you can make lots of gold to fund your next plan which is a SoD. So they go and build a SoD with very little effort or thought, just build like 8 Artillery and then add Calvary and Infantry and make one giant SoD. then just bombard the city and in one turn you lower the city defenses from 80% or more down to 0% in just one turn. then end your turn and the on the next turn send in just all your artillery by themselves with Barrage II or III and then just send in the other units to clean up the left overs with a 99.9% combat odds. then replace the Artillery you lost by building more. yeah that takes alot of skills to do. while in this game you have to think and plan your attacks and defenses. that is why some people don't like Civ 5 because thinking and planning is too hard for them and they like stacking a wall of units, make a couple of clicks and think they planned it well and are good players.

12. JoxerNL

JoxerNL Warlord

The OP is the one here who keeps on raving, insulting the people who actually like the game, cause they are the wrong type of gamers.

Also the threads title should be appropriatly changed as it in no way whatsoever reflects the community as is clearly shown after reading all the pages on this thread.
    It's a minority oppinion that is being attempted to be shoved down our throats, and i for one wont stand for that.

In short i'd say : Can a modd change the thread title to something more appropriatly?
    First of all, there clearly is no final verdict.
    Second of all, "we" is a very misrepresentation of the community.

Anyway's im longing for the forums to cool down again and reach the mature posting level where everyone is enjoying their game and helping eachother with tactics and what not.

13. Ignorant Teacher

Ignorant Teacher Emperor

I was going to try to show that this whole us vs them debate derives from misconceptions from both sides and a childish attitude, but I'm too tired. Let the kids wear their fingers off.

Just a small edit
    If you equal reason with numbers, I don't know how any change is possible. The sun revolves around earth, remember? Consensus.

14. wilmer007

wilmer007 Chieftain

Exactly i saw the title and thought it will be interesting to see what everyone here has agreed on for the game play and style, i may learn something new about the game. but then i just see OP and his opinions on the very first post and said to myself "this guy is giving scrub excuses for why the game is too hard for him". That's when i said i gotta correct this kid because yes while he is right to have his opinions he needed to be corrected because his opinions just didn't contribute to the game in a balanced way and they definitely did not prove why it has been decided as a "Final Verdict"

15. JoxerNL

JoxerNL Warlord

Well the OP's main gripe seem to revolve around the removal of the stack-o-doom, which only has a totall vote of 5.56% of totall votes, i would most definatly call that a "minority".

Also i'd like to think that not all people are so rude as to simply insult others who dont share their oppinion, again that's just a minor but very vocal minority that lives on the internet.

Im not going into the symmantics about how the whole game is, the sole reason why i started posting on these wonderfull forums is the fact that someone was claiming to be the voice of the community, which clearly they were not.

16. Watiggi

Watiggi Deity

Lol... I love the stupidly arrogant title of this thread given that the poll itself suggests that the majority of people dont support the so called 'Final Verdict' (ie, most people are ok with Civ 5 the way it is).... lol.

17. Hehehe

Hehehe Emperor

I want vassal states, colonies and cIV style world builder back

18. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

I agree with that.

19. JoxerNL

JoxerNL Warlord

Vassal's were from Warlord expansion if memory serves me right.

20. craig123

craig123 Prince

Whether the sun revolves around the earth or vice versa is a matter of fact - i.e. there is a correct answer, even if we don't know that answer is yet. It is the same for questions like "Is there extra-terrestrial life?" or "How old is the universe?" Even if 99% of people believe, for example, that aliens exist, that would not make that belief correct.

On the other hand, matters of opinion cannot have a right or wrong answer; they are opinions. If 99% of people believe, for example, that hexes are better than squares, that wouldn't make that opinion correct because there can't be a correct answer to that question. But it would mean that using hexes rather than squares was probably a good design choice. In this example (as long as the sample is representative), you can - to an extent - equal reason with numbers (the caveat being that what people think they want and what they actually want can often be different things).