1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Verdict: We want our stack back and other great cIV features!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by NobleJms, Sep 30, 2010.

?

Vote for which feature you'd like to see back in Civ V!

1. Stack (no more 1UPT): much easier to move armies around.

76 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Local happiness instead of the shallow global happiness.

117 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Multiple units for each strategic resource: makes more sense historically

36 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. The old slider system: makes for more dynamic gameplay.

92 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. No more purchasing units with gold.

19 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. Religion: what makes cIV the best in the series!

169 vote(s)
    14.9%
  7. cIV's great graphics: current graphics in ciV is a joke.

30 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. The old map grid: hexes does NOT make CiV look deep!

2 vote(s)
    0.2%
  9. Something else

103 vote(s)
    9.1%
  10. Nothing, i like Civ5 how it is :).

490 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. Wi1d

Wi1d Chieftain

I disagree with all point except the global happiness system which makes the game almost unplayable in the few games I've tried to win by domination. This isn't a big deal though since I believe I'll be able to tweak to my liking with a mod. All of the other changes I think will age well once a few more patches and tweaks have been pushed out.

2. SillyGoat

SillyGoat Warlord

3. 12agnar0k

12agnar0k Emperor

Vote = Fail!

4. kuukkeli

kuukkeli King

Funny how the OP is constantly ridiculed and called a troll while only 42% of voters like the game as it is. You do notice that this is a single choice poll meaning that not fully happy people get divided between nine polling options - it's theoretically impossible for the percentages to even closely agree with the OP?

5. Hehehe

Hehehe Emperor

Ummm.... Yea? I never implied otherwise. BTW shouldn't this be a multichoise poll?

6. generalwar

generalwar Philosopher

Dude, he added that option "I like civ 5 as it is now" later and many people didn't respond anything or said something just to vote.

7. fed1943

fed1943 Emperor

Just my opinion after playing civ for 19 years and civ V for a few days:

The great change is from SoD to 1UpT. I believe both options are good. But this change alone makes a new game.
    This means a new balance should have found. Was it? I'm far from sure.

A new factor, and big one, enters the equation: the number of "convenient" tiles.
    And the fact that tiles were changed from 8 sides to just 6, enhances this.

So, less miltary units are needed, both for offense or defense. The consequences are
    not just for the "warmonger" part of the game, but for all. Do the differences on the
    "builder" part balance it or not? Not sure, yet.

Happiness that is supposed to be an essential balance, seems can be ignored after the
    initial part of the game (I have to check it again).

Then, there is what I call the interface things:

The manual is poor and even wrong sometimes.
    The AI is very weak. (For instance a melée AI kept itself a 2 tiles distance from a
    ranged; and no, it was not at settler level).
    The game is to be activated from an internet plataform. Nevertheless, no PBEM, no
    sequential turns and no good central,unique staging room for the "true" simultaneous,i.e. the ladder style.

If this game was something 1 would be very good; but it is CIV V.
    I do hope they who concern do now and in near future what they should before sell.
    I am still a Civ customer and want to remain so.

8. Rellin

Rellin Norrathian Gnome

9. NobleJms

NobleJms Chieftain

I didn't add that option, the forum's moderator did....that final option is not supposed to be there.

I honestly think everyone should be entitled to his/her opinion, but why are people calling me "trolling" simply because they don't agree with me?

In any case, hopefully soon we can all stop arguing with each other, as modders are working very hard right now to bring Civ IV features back to Civ V. Like the "Legion" mod I've been using, which brings back the stack. That's a step in the right direction I say! :)

10. If you want to make the great leap backwards be my guest. Just don't force it on me.

11. cavilier210

cavilier210 Warlord

Agreed. Some of those options make it sound like the OP is both lazy and hasn't played the game.

12. BeyondCivilized

BeyondCivilized Warlord

Nothing, if I wanted to play cIV, I'd play cIV ;)

13. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Only 5% of the 700 or so people who voted care about having stacking back?

14. lodester

lodester Chieftain

lol poll. Religion was a crutch for a lot of players in civ4, it's amusing to see people complain that it's gone because it was so clearly the least balanced part of the game.

And as far as "stacks" go - it was always pretty horrible tbh but it was the only Civ we had. Huddling around and in cities to mash stack A against stack B. Never felt like a real war with fronts, supply lines, and *real* choke points.

Civ5 is a far more tactical game as a result of 1UPT. It will be a far more strategic game once the AI gets some much needed work.

Anyone complaining at this point about things like 1UPT and basic mechanics hasn't been paying attention for the last...year and a half? Nothing here is news. Try using Google before you buy.

15. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Know what's really funny?

Only one person wants the old map grid back.

16. Ignorant Teacher

Ignorant Teacher Emperor

The very notion of "fact" is not written on stone and it is naive to take it for granted. That said, OK. My point was that telling people to shut up because you don't like their opinions is awful.

17. kuukkeli

kuukkeli King

You know what's funny. You get to choose one option in that poll so you have to choose the option you most want. So the fact that 5% have voted for stacks only tells that at least 5% of voters want stacks back because there's no way telling if people voting other options want them or not.

The religion implemented in Civ4 wasn't perfect or even close to that but to completely remove it instead of improving is far worse option. But hey, we live in the age of political correctness so it would be racist or something to have nations fight each other over religions in the game - I mean we all know that religions only spread peace in the real world :mischief:

18. MadRat

MadRat Cheese Raider

Oh yeah the great "but only <5%" of statistics are reported argument. You cant use that as a justification because the likelihood of more people not wanting UP1T can also actually be correct. These silly circular silent majority arguments can be farcially skewed to make it support anything. Indeed one can argue that since a vast plurality voted they loved CiV - but that may mot mean they didnt find any problem with it - they just voted with their top sentiment!

Rat

19. kuukkeli

kuukkeli King

What on Earth are you speaking about? Is it really that hard for you to understand what single choice poll means? There's a bit over 57% of voters saying they want at least one feature back. Based on both discussions on this board and pure statistics it's certain that among those 57% there are people who want more than one feature back. The percentages in this poll can't be used to deduce how many of those 57% want each option back.

No it can't. If 5% percent of the voters say that stack is the feature they want back the most then it's obvious that at least that 5% of voters wants stack back. Only the almost 43% of voters have made it clear that they don't want stack back by voting nothing.

Only silly argument here is by you because you're arguing a straw man instead of what I wrote.

20. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Prince