Finally Getting It!

I like it. If you play to have fun (ie instead of learning builds and playing the same way over and over), then it will be fun.

I am finally getting CiV tomorrow, and I am hoping it is as good if not better then Civ IV.
You're in for one hell of a disappointment, unless you've used to struggle on Noble in Civ4 - now you'll be owning everyone at Emperor so you'd get some kicks from that for sure.

At least now build times are much faster and you've got buildings increasing your production, but diplomacy is still nonexistant.

I didn't win on Noble in Civ 4 in the last 2 years, and I can beat Civ V AI on Emperor and occasionally Immortal. Such an easy game compared to its predecessor, but Civ IV had more interesting decisions to make and was the more fun game imo. That said, there is some nice drama between the Civ 5 AI thanks to the cinematic leader screens, so that's a slight plus I guess.

I didn't win on Noble in Civ 4 in the last 2 years, and I can beat Civ V AI on Emperor and occasionally Immortal. Such an easy game compared to its predecessor, but Civ IV had more interesting decisions to make and was the more fun game imo. That said, there is some nice drama between the Civ 5 AI thanks to the cinematic leader screens, so that's a slight plus I guess.

I had a few wins in Civ IV at the Prince level -- mostly all Dan Quayle wins.:blush: So, anyway, I figured I totally sucked at the game so I unistalled it & donated it to the Salvation Army. I can win Civ V on Emperor any day of the week, usually with the highest ranking scores (Augustus Caesar?). To me that's more fun, so I like V way better than IV.:p

I had a few wins in Civ IV at the Prince level -- mostly all Dan Quayle wins.:blush: So, anyway, I figured I totally sucked at the game so I unistalled it & donated it to the Salvation Army. I can win Civ V on Emperor any day of the week, usually with the highest ranking scores (Augustus Caesar?). To me that's more fun, so I like V way better than IV.:p

Well, some underprivileged soul is having a great time anyway. :D

Seriously though, that was a nice thing to do. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the Op, Civilization 5 is an acquired taste. I tried to like it but I just can't.

It feels like a game now (and not a very good one at that) rather than a gaming

experience.

Just my take on it, however. Let us know what you think after playing for awhile. :)

All I'm going to say is this:

There are two sides to this. No one falls in-between.

LOL, that's for sure. I fall into the camp of love the game, but recognize it needs some serious fixing.

I know two people at work that got V recently, one loves it, the other hates it. Which pretty much falls in line with what I've seen here.

I'm having fun with the game again, but same time playing other Civilization games too, when I have time..

I recommend the game and I'm also looking forward to new game mechanics and additions.

right, so whatever level you played on with civ iv you should go up one from that in civ v lol.

You're in for one hell of a disappointment, unless you've used to struggle on Noble in Civ4 - now you'll be owning everyone at Emperor so you'd get some kicks from that for sure.

At least now build times are much faster and you've got buildings increasing your production, but diplomacy is still nonexistant.

I'd say the disappointment won't kick in until later. Until the new game/new civ high, wears off.Till' then, enjoy the game :)

Comparing difficulties of games 4 ish years apart depending on how old you are, or your current life priorities isn't quite the same.

Dunno if you are just trolling since 12 people are going to jump in here saying Civ 4 is better (which begs the question as to why they are reading the Civ 5 forums all the time).

Moderator Action: please don't call other users trolls, there is simply no way such a posts furthers civil discussion
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Personally I think 5 has it's flaws, the combat AI being the worst (you can fairly easily beat an AI with equal and somewhat larger forces) and a few kinks in the diplomacy AI. However it feels like they are improving with each patch/dlc and it's still a great game.

Comparing difficulties of games 4 ish years apart depending on how old you are, or your current life priorities isn't quite the same.

Dunno if you are just trolling since 12 people are going to jump in here saying Civ 4 is better (which begs the question as to why they are reading the Civ 5 forums all the time).

Personally I think 5 has it's flaws, the combat AI being the worst (you can fairly easily beat an AI with equal and somewhat larger forces) and a few kinks in the diplomacy AI. However it feels like they are improving with each patch/dlc and it's still a great game.

This. I think this thread was a clear joke ... Once a week a thread like this pops up, where somebody relates IV to V and a debate ensues ...

Moderator Action:
if you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion, please do not post in it. Insinuating other users are trolling is not acceptable.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I am finally getting CiV tomorrow, and I am hoping it is as good if not better then Civ IV.

I'm back... :D

Keep your hopes... but don't expect too much of it. Subpar product in many ways, starting with simplistic models, a very bad AI, non-working multiplayer...

Top Bottom