FinMod

It's good to know there might be a problem. However, I haven't had any problems loading the mod. As a workaround copying the contents of the FinMod directory to the CustomAssets should work like Wyz_sub10 said in the above post. Hopefully there will be a fix to this soon.

I will add this info to the readme.

Cheers,
Uluk

As an interesting sidenote I found this thread. If you look closely, you'll notice that the two mods are pretty similar. Even the UU's are basically the same thing. :lol: I didn't even know that such mod existed, because I didn't play civ3 all that much. And I certainly didn't use any mods with it. Interesting read nevertheless, maybe I'll pick a few things from that thread. :)

I was hoping to get the civilopedia entries updated this week but it seems very unlikely now, because I have an exam on thursday and I will be away from home for the weekend.

Cheers,
Uluk

loler said:
Well, you were a bunch of bloodcrazed imperialists and sold a lot of ore and other minerals to Germany in WW2 to protect your own butts. Not much good to be said about swedes...

Moderator Action: Leave nationality bashing out of these forums, because they are against the rules. Warned for trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Whether a country is "bloodcrazed" or not is not so much a comparason of what is today but what was then, Sweden was no worse than any other country that had the ability to expnad (for a time there were even strict rules on how plundering was to be conducted). And if I remember corectly Finnland was allied to Germany during most of WW2. I think that the past is very interesting but it shuld be left in the past.

Well, lets end that discusion (sorry I just had to wright this last part).

When i was playing one smal thing that bugged me was that there is only one Jager in the Jager unit (normaly there are three).

One other thing that came to mind is wether or not it is possible to make some new sounds to the units (so they speek finnish, not german)

Screenies look pretty good. I'll download it when I have enough time. Those leader pics look though a bit stretched. Or is it just the screenshots? Maybe you could do something with it?

Hienoa työtä :p

gerryandersson said:
One other thing that came to mind is wether or not it is possible to make some new sounds to the units (so they speek finnish, not german)

yes! it would be really awsome if the finns said "perkkele" or something like that when they get their orders.

Karoliner (Carolines in eng.) would be a good UU for the Swedes.

@gerryandersson: You most likely have that "only show one jaeger" option enabled. :p Here's a few jaegers for you http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~vesavola/finmod/pics/old/ingame_jaegers.JPG. I had that option enabled too because I was trying to reduce the lag while playing (especially annoying in the modern times when there's lots of units around etc.).

@Skari: It's because the actual images are 128x128 (iirc) and yes they do get stretched to fit the area. As a counter to that I guess it would be possible to "anti-stretch" them a bit beforehand to make them look nicer in the game. However, I haven't bothered to do so (at least not yet) and Kekkonen would probably punch me in the face if I'd touch him, anyway. :D

It is possible to make new sounds, but I haven't really looked into that yet. Besides you would need a voice actor who sounds convincing enough for that. ;) Maybe I should hold an audition...

Cheers,
Uluk

Uluk said:
@gerryandersson: You most likely have that "only show one jaeger" option enabled. :p Here's a few jaegers for you http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~vesavola/finmod/pics/ingame_jaegers.JPG. I had that option enabled too because I was trying to reduce the lag while playing (especially annoying in the modern times when there's lots of units around etc.)

Thanks, I diden't know that:o (I haven´t played long enugh to get jagers in the game, I just loked at the screenies)

And you shuld hold an audition to find a voice actor and make new sounds (if you have the enargy to :) ). Becaus I am Swedish I won´t be mutch help. The only finnish I know/think I know is "pirtä ja voita" (paint and vinn :confused: ), I read it on a cornflakes box or something.

Started a second game and I had some "border problems" with England...

Hope you diden´t know ;) and that you can fix it.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 1,774
Heh, pretty funny. The english use the same primary colour (which is used in the borders). This was an oversight by me, I never realized that the game won't display the borders properly if two civs shared the same primary colour. I should change the colour slightly or switch to blue in the next release to avoid that problem. Thanks for bringing this into my knowledge.

Cheers,
Uluk

I'm working on a MOD and I am not able to put a .dds picture for the leader. I had no problems adding the flag. But when I select my leader, it is displaying a purple square. I saw that you have done well adding leaders pictures, could you help me ?

Lovely! I certainly know which civilization I'm going to play as next, the ol' UKK is going to barrel through those puny opposing civs. You might consider making Mannerheim's favorite civic Nationhood to mirror the times he represents. Otherwise it's much as I have suggested on certain hypothetical discussions, so I can't complain.

Good mod, I've been waiting for this (okay, finns have never been a big player in historical events, but I saw someone wanting a swiss mod so this can't be that bad).

Kissamies said:
Lovely! I certainly know which civilization I'm going to play as next, the ol' UKK is going to barrel through those puny opposing civs. You might consider making Mannerheim's favorite civic Nationhood to mirror the times he represents. Otherwise it's much as I have suggested on certain hypothetical discussions, so I can't complain.

What?! You're playing Kekkonen all wrong! You have to agree to every demand and ultimatum every civ make. If it's possible, Kekkonen should have options to go to sauna with other civilization leaders (trade proposals):crazyeye:

I think the game misses a wonder, which really would suit for Kekkonen.

Finlandization http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finlandization

It should enable a civilization to trade with all the civs without damaging the individual relationships.:mischief: The building could be Sibelius Monument.

Oh yeah, those earlier weblinks given about Sweden and Finland relations (suomalaisuuden liitto or something) on the webpage is like quoting neo-nazis on immigration issues.

Heh, I am well aware that that's how he should roleplayed, but I want to step out of Paasikivi-Kekkonen line. If I have a huge and powerful empire, let them placate me and be all neutral, hehe.

Juu oikein hienolta näyttää. :b:

As for Kekkonen...he is a bit controversial to our head of state. I dont know if he was anything more than a traitor or semi dictator, but I guess we dont have any better atm..

MichaelBlondin said:
I'm working on a MOD and I am not able to put a .dds picture for the leader. I had no problems adding the flag. But when I select my leader, it is displaying a purple square. I saw that you have done well adding leaders pictures, could you help me ?

What program do you use? I converted the original .bmp's to .dds files with the DDS converter and had no problems whatsoever. The leader pics are 256x256. I hope you get those pics working.

On the other hand, I have had difficulty trying to make a proper flag. I never seem to get that alpha channel right for those. The converter says there's no alpha channel present when eg. gimp says there is one! If someone wants to help me a bit here I'll appreciate it greatly. I have the flags made, but I haven't been able to get those working ingame.

Kissamies said:
You might consider making Mannerheim's favorite civic Nationhood to mirror the times he represents.

Sounds like a good idea, I'll apply this change into the next release.

Cheers,
Uluk

I suggest you replace the scandinavian letters with their non-umlaut equivalents in the text keys. i.e. TXT_KEY_CITY_JYVÄSKYLÄ -> TXT_KEY_CITY_JYVASKYLA. The key itself isn't actually shown anywhere so it doesn't affect anything on screen during a game. However, my modswitcher (or rather, the XML lib I'm using) freaks out since that file is missing an encoding field from the XML header and the lib assumes utf8.

Well, if that's the case I would merely add the missing encoding field. Good point, anyway. I noticed there are many files present which do not have the encoding set.

Really cool :)

What about great people? Jean Sibelius, Mika Waltari?

National wonders: Korvatunturi, Eurovision Victory

Can you replace temple with Sauna? ;)

Yes, many of the game's original files do not have encoding set. However, they do not contain any non-ASCII characters either. Thus, it's perfectly fine to omit the encoding, since any sensible default encoding (latin1, utf8, ascii) treat those characters identically.

Top Bottom