FinMod

Ok, to avoid the border problem found by gerryandersson I have decided to change the english primary colour to red. Of course, this leads to another problem: the japs also have red as their primary colour so I have to make them distinguishable from each other. I have made a dark red colour which fulfills the criteria, now all I have to do is to decide whether it would look better as the english colour or as the japanese colour. What do you think? Samples below (ignore the flags).

Also, in the next release the finns will have three flags to choose from:
  • national flag
  • state flag
  • coat of arms

More on that later.

Cheers,
Uluk

I prefer the borders in the first screeni, it is more similar to the red in the english flag.

Ok, I decided to do just the opposite. :) Here are some screenshots of the new english colours: pic 1, pic 2

Updated version of the mod is available. Please see the first post for the changes and the download.

Cheers,
Uluk

Great work Uluk!! :cool:

Had to register just to congratulate you on what it seems a very decent looking mod. Still have to try it out myself as soon as I have time to spend some hours playing again.

Not sure about your solution conserning the border colors, though... changing another civ's color just to incorporate Finland's white doesn't make sense imo. What about blue, light enough to be distinguishable from France?

Oh, and I also took a quick look at one of the XML files there, containing the city names etc. I guess in the game cities are founded in the order they're listed in that file? Which isn't the historically correct order, that is. We definitely should start with Turku, and leave it for the player to make the right city the capital. ;)

More comments later on, keep up the good work!

-O

Riskitekijä said:
Not sure about your solution conserning the border colors, though... changing another civ's color just to incorporate Finland's white doesn't make sense imo. What about blue, light enough to be distinguishable from France?
Thanks for the feedback. :) Now, when it comes to border colours I have to disagree here. I tried the blue colour and didn't like it that much. I do realize that the easiest solution would have been just to make the finnish borders blue. However, remember that in addition to the french, the americans use blue too, whereas no civ used dark red. Also, imho the english look better with the new red as their primary colour.

Additionally, if someone ever decides to incorporate all these new civs into a one big mod he's going to curse the sheer number of civs with some sort of blue as their primary. If people really insist, I might make an optional colour scheme for the finns in the next release. In the meantime, you can change the colours yourself if you really want to have "the blues". ;)
Riskitekijä said:
Oh, and I also took a quick look at one of the XML files there, containing the city names etc. I guess in the game cities are founded in the order they're listed in that file? Which isn't the historically correct order, that is. We definitely should start with Turku, and leave it for the player to make the right city the capital. ;)
Yeah, I know Turku was historically before Helsinki. The list was taken from wikipedia (with minor changes). And it was the biggest cities list not the oldest cities list. It's not a big deal, anyway. If you want to have Turku as the capital (at least for a while) just change it when the game asks for the name of your first city.

Cheers,
Uluk

loler said:
Finland isn't really a civilization. Mostly slaves for the Swedish empire at its height, an agrarian culture.

Since Finns are of very different stock of people than Swedes or even Russians, I susptect they could be their own civilization. But perhaps I would rather make a Fenno-Ugrainian culture, which would sweep all the people of the same basic stock: Southern Finnish (not including the Sami people - Laplandians), Estonian, Ukrainian. And I believe there are some of the same root stock still living somewhere in the Ural mountains...

But, even being a Finn, I'd consider the might that Sweden once had more worthy of a Civ than Finland.

Expect a minor update tomorrow. If I have time I'll try to throw a few finnish Great Persons into the mix. Too bad GPs aren't civ-specific... Also at some point we will have unique AI for both of the leaders and maybe another UU.

Thanks for all the comments so far, keep them coming folks!

[EDIT]
There's a small error in the readme.txt. It says that the cache directory is
...\%username%\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\cache​
This is incorrect. It's actually
...\%username%\Application Data\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\cache​
If you are having problems with the mod try clearing the cache and try again.
[/EDIT]

Cheers,
Uluk

Wolfwood said:
Finnish (not including the Sami people - Laplandians), Estonian, Ukrainian. And I believe there are some of the same root stock still living somewhere in the Ural mountains...
You mean Hungarians (Not Ukrainians ;) ).

Great mod. Now all we need is new audio for the Finnish units.. I'd volunteer but I hate my own voice.

"joojoo", "perkele", "hakkaa päälle pohjan poika!", "menossa ollaan", "kunhan tässä keritään..", "ihan kohta"...

Elsewhere said:
"joojoo", "perkele", "hakkaa päälle pohjan poika!", "menossa ollaan", "kunhan tässä keritään..", "ihan kohta"...
Don't forget "mee ite", "emmä jaksa"...

One thing that could be added is music for leaderheads. I already added a horribly low bitrate Jääkärimarssi (had no good instrumental one handy) for Mannerheim so it seems perfectly doable. If proper music can be found, this feature can add surprisingly much, you can also hear it when zoomed close to cities.

;)

Yeah, finding some good finnish music should not be a problem. There are several good options available. I'll look into that.

I didn't know, that our ancestors had tomahawks... Please, work more on this one.

Ok, FinMod development has been a bit inactive lately. I'll try to make a new version when I have time. The next version will accommodate the required changes caused by the latest patch.

Cheers,
Uluk

Lookin' good... BTW I could volunteer in making that voice acting (in theory).

Here's a list for potential "Unknown Soldier" quotes that could fit in the Jägersprache: http://fi.wikiquote.org/wiki/Tuntematon_sotilas

"Myö ei olla tääl kuolemas, vaan tappamas." :D

And the diplomacy music for Kekkonen could be "Finlandia" (composed by J. Sibelius), why not for Mannerheim as well. Jääkärinmarssi is ok too :)

Well, to keep the style consistent with other unit select/command sounds, the clips would need to be pretty short. I believe this is why some of them seem to be spoken very quickly. This makes sense, because it's easier to grow bored and start get annoyed by long clips, they get in the way more.

As for music, Finlandia indeed rules, but there is a couple points against using it: 1. It's a long piece and large file size. Of course, you can cut it to comfortable size by taking only the "hymn" part, but don't know if the end result would be satisfactory. 2. It's too cool as gameplay music to be used as "mere" leaderhead music. If Finlandia were to be included, it should be used as background music, IMO. Well, as long as the national anthem is not used, there must be better choises than that.

Top Bottom