FinMod

Uluk

Chieftain
Hello all,

I have made a mod which adds the Finns as a playable civilization. I made this because I noticed that I often started a new game with the Germans renamed to Finns. And since Civ4 is supposed to be rather easy to mod I decided to give it a go. So here it is. Feel free to comment and make suggestions. If you find any bugs or other things which need fixing reply to this thread (preferred method) or drop me an e-mail (the address is in the readme).

Latest release: v1.12 (12 March 2010)

Download the mod from this page (744kb)

Link to the readme

Link to the changelog

Some screenshots can be found here

What's new in v1.12:
  • The mod is now compatible with Beyond the Sword v3.19. Kudos to HIT Games Finland for making this happen. Please note that this is totally untested by me, report any bugs to this thread.

What's new in v1.11:
  • Fixed a v1.1 compatibility issue with previously saved games

What's new in v1.1:
  • Support for patch 1.52
  • Unique Kekkonen AI (kudos to Mr. Will) (somewhat untested, comments and criticism are very welcome)
  • Three finnish Great Persons added (artists Jean Sibelius and Alvar Aalto, scientist A.I. Virtanen)
  • Various minor fixes

What's new in v1.0:
  • Three new flags to choose from:

National flag

State flag

Coat of arms

• Better civilopedia entries for the civilization and the leaders
  • Updated graphics
  • Starting techs are now Hunting & Fishing instead of Hunting & Pottery
  • Mannerheim's favourite civic is now Nationhood instead of Representation
  • Now the english use dark red as their primary colour to avoid the border problem

See the readme & changelog for more information.

Cheers,
Uluk

Looks great! But, I think you should add a little bit of info in the civilopedia about each leader, and add the link at the end. Nobody wants to have to alt+tab out to read about them, then go back into the game.

Very good job Uluk, and welcome to the world of modding. ;)

Thanks for the friendly comments. :)

@Greek Plunder: You are right about that. Those links are as basically nothing more than placeholders atm. I'll make them better, no question about that.

I might add another UU later. I think that the legendary hakkapeliitta horsemen deserve to be added into this. And maybe one more leader. Keep making comments, folks.

Cheers,
Uluk

Finland isn't really a civilization. Mostly slaves for the Swedish empire at its height, an agrarian culture.

loler said:
Finland isn't really a civilization. Mostly slaves for the Swedish empire at its height, an agrarian culture.

When Sweden lost Finnland to Russia, it was not like losing a distant "slave colony" it was like if USA had lost Florida or Texas. (But the finns were "under" swedish rule, no question)

Cool Mod Uluk, great work.

loler said:

Please discuss the mod, not the country. Comments like that often lead to country bashing threads. :( Thank you.

gerryandersson said:
When Sweden lost Finnland to Russia, it was not like losing a distant "slave colony" it was like if USA had lost Florida or Texas. (But the finns were "under" swedish rule, no question)

Cool Mod Uluk, great work.

Finland was under a colonial Swedish rule as basically a slave colony, Sweden tried to keep Finland in it's grasp well into the 1950's. I found this: http://www.suomalaisuudenliitto.fi/history.htm

I'm Swedish and I like your FinMod alot.
I'm no modder, but if somebody wants to make a Sweden mod, go ahead.

If you need any help in finishing this mod off, just let me know. I'm trying to get enough experience to d one of my own, and I'm finding out that learning BASIC a couple years ago is doing wonders for how quickly I'm learning Python. If anyone could point me in the right direction as for modifying the diplomacy I'll be glad to hop in and see if I can help.

I don't mind working with Civilopedia entries either, but I'll leave that to a history buff.

Great job on your mod!

@loler: If you want to educate us on finnish/swedish history - at least try not to link to a site that is biased to the point of stupidity. The author of this site does nothing but taking swings at Sweden.

Loppan Torkel said:
Great job on your mod!

@loler: If you want to educate us on finnish/swedish history - at least try not to link to a site that is biased to the point of stupidity. The author of this site does nothing but taking swings at Sweden.

Well, you were a bunch of bloodcrazed imperialists and sold a lot of ore and other minerals to Germany in WW2 to protect your own butts. Not much good to be said about swedes...

Moderator Action: Leave nationality bashing out of these forums, because they are against the rules. Warned for trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

loler said:

Moderator Action: Troll removed. Warned.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Thanks for all the good work on this. We appreciate your efforts. The more civs added the better!

As I said before, leave the country bashing out of this thread. And my dear loler you are doing exactly the opposite. I don't like that. Anyhow, I hope to update the civilopedia entries during the following week.

@Mr. Will: I really haven't looked into the diplomacy thing. It's all copy&paste for now (same as the Bismarck one for both leaders). I'll look into it in the near future and decide what to do with it. Thanks for the offer though, I'll keep it in my mind.

About the suggested swedish mod: I pondered earlier that the hakkapeliitta cavalry unit would be a nice addition into my mod. I took that line of thought a little bit further and now I think that it would make a fine UU for the swedes instead. After all, they existed under their rule only. So, if someone is going to make a swedish mod that could be one option for their UU. And if the one making it is not being put off by using "foreigners", of course. ;)

Here's a wikipedia article about the hakkapeliittas

Cheers,
Uluk

texastarheel said:
placed this mod in the mods folder, it will load but it's not there as a selection after it loads?

I'm having the same problem with my Canada Mod - loads perfectly from CustomAssets, but not from the Mod directory. I'm working on getting a resolution to that now.

I think there is a caching issue with the ridiculous way Civ4 loads files, but I won't call it a bug until we get more info. For now, we'll assume fault. :)

Top Bottom