Firaxis Devs Q&A - Send me your questions!

Except why should the Northern and Southern regions be impassible? After all, we are not talking about Earth! At the very least, nukes should be able to fly over the North Pole. Also, we have the option for maps with edges, so why not an option for north/south wrapping? (I am pretty sure other Civ versions had this feature.)

But I have to point out that you have switched cause and effect. The Northern and Southern regions were made impassible as a way to mask the problem that the world is cylindrical. It works pretty well, but I am hoping that Beyond Earth will give us a sphere.

Except why should the Northern and Southern regions be impassible? After all, we are not talking about Earth! At the very least, nukes should be able to fly over the North Pole. Also, we have the option for maps with edges, so why not an option for north/south wrapping? (I am pretty sure other Civ versions had this feature.)

But I have to point out that you have switched cause and effect. The Northern and Southern regions were made impassible as a way to mask the problem that the world is cylindrical. It works pretty well, but I am hoping that Beyond Earth will give us a sphere.

Well for nukes, they really should just be global.

And cylindrical-spherical
s much less of a distortion than
doughnut-spherical

Well for nukes, they really should just be global.

Different point, but stealth bombers too, anything with a lot of range, maybe even helicopters, and paratroopers. There are many real-life examples where going over the poles would shorten distances. The north/south edge of the map being impassible is fiat to hide this. Again, it works well enough in play, but it’s very arbitrary if you think about it.

And cylindrical-spherical is much less of a distortion than doughnut-spherical

I don’t have the formulas, but from a purely mathematical perspective, that is not correct. Perception wise, since we are so comfortable with flat maps that we forget their inherit distortion, I agree completely. Besides that, the comparison I am making is not cylinder/sphere versus torus/sphere but plane/sphere versus plane/torus.

My larger point is that, especially with a sci-fi game, if (and only if) our planets are not really going to be spheres anyway, then having the option for maps that wrap in two axis is eminently reasonable.

Best shape would be a buckminister fuller sphere : any number of hexagons and 12 Pentagons, like this:

This and levels in terrain would be awesome but we will not get it with this engine, but maybe in civ VI?

Skickat från min GT-I9195 via Tapatalk

Hex tiles in released screens show additional lines embedded within. Can units orient toward a specific hex side for combat purposes?

Well, it’s safe to say that the system requirements won’t be any less.

Actually, it might be. They talked about optimization, plus there are only 8 players.

And monkeys might suddenly fly out of my butt, but I'm not going to plan my day around the possibility. :D

True...
But they have said it should not be any higher requirements (and all people plan their day around something flying/coming out of their .... at some point, just not monkeys)

If nothing else it should be lower for the max player map (because that max player is smaller.

I do like how the game runs better over time, and more models of graphic cards are explicitly supported. But if you have hope of it playing better than BNW, 8 player map or no, then I have a bridge I would like to sell you…

True...
But they have said it should not be any higher requirements (and all people plan their day around something flying/coming out of their .... at some point, just not monkeys)

If nothing else it should be lower for the max player map (because that max player is smaller.

What Firaxis/2K says will be, and what actually happens at the completion of a semi-finished product is two entirely different things.

There may be better support on AMD APUs, including low-end ones, given they've said they're making use of Mantle.

One month have passed since the announcement, so let's hope they release new info today/this week ;)

Hello everyone. I have an update! The Q&A blog post should be up and live today or tomorrow at the latest. Keep your eyes peeled, and I will return to this thread with a link to the post once it is live. :)

We asked for questions, and several of you responded!

We picked some out and sent them over to the developers at Firaxis Games. You can read the answers from the Co-Lead Designers of Civilization: Beyond Earth here!

Stay tuned for our next Q&A opportunity, where we will be taking questions from our 2K Forums community!

Top Bottom