[GS] Firaxis Livestream: Hungary Nov 29 11AM PT, 2PM ET

I hope that there is some limit to how long a canal can be. I'd hate for the AI or the human player for that matter to be able to spam say a 15 tile long canal across their continent. I think a canal should have a limit of 4 tiles.
In line with @Trav'ling Canuck, I believe that they’ve said the limit is 2 tiles of canal and the city center. they also said that the longest possible canal is 7 tiles with the Panama Canal wonder. It is currently unclear how that is constructed.

I'm hyped for canals. I want to find some lakes and good spacing of cities to cross a continent, then if possible load it with ranged boats as a defensive line.
Perhaps like the Nicaraguan canal?

In line with @Trav'ling Canuck, I believe that they’ve said the limit is 2 tiles of canal and the city center. they also said that the longest possible canal is 7 tiles with the Panama Canal wonder. It is currently unclear how that is constructed.

I assume it would require two cities, both with city centers on the coast.

Fist city would be city center, Panama, canal, canal, for a total of four canal tiles. Second city would be canal, canal, city center for a total of three canal tiles. Seven canal tiles total.

I assume it would require two cities, both with city centers on the coast.

Fist city would be city center, Panama, canal, canal, for a total of four canal tiles. Second city would be canal, canal, city center for a total of three canal tiles. Seven canal tiles total.
That seems like a reasonable guess. That would also give you more flexibility on how the canal is shaped. Now that you mention it, we may have already seen it. The middle tile in the original promo screen shot had some extra stuff on it that could be the wonder.

Likely for Panama Canal you need two Canal districts, one on each side Before you can build it. So the wonder would be the finial touch.

I always get lost with the time zone...I don't wanna miss anything this time, so 2pm ET for Brazil is arround 5pm?

I'd imagine that a warship locking through a canal would actually be super vulnerable.

When locking yes. Once you have them situated in the mid-continent lakes, they would be of good use to provide relatively flexible bombard support. You probably wouldn’t build a shipyard to build a battleship in-place in the lake, but if you have a channel connecting it yo open sea, why not bringing a Dreadnought to lake Michigan in order to support your attacks on Chicago? (e.g.)

Likely for Panama Canal you need two Canal districts, one on each side Before you can build it. So the wonder would be the finial touch.

That seems a little restrictive. I would expect it would simply need to be next to a canal, although would be a little weird to have a canal that basically reaches nowhere.

As for the 7-tile, I would guess the canal rules are "next to city centre and/or next to water". The 7 tile Panama one would be wcCcPcCcw, where c=canal, C=city, P=Panama, and w=water. That'd be a pretty epic passage on the civ scale

wcCcPcCcw is how I see it as well. And I hope to use narrow or one tile lakes to make it longer. For example: wcCcPcCcwcCcw.

There’s no gameplay need. There’s no real historical need to include them. And they are going to be of no use in the game at all.

I regularly run into situation where building a one or two tile canal would shorten travel times for my navy to get from a to b a lot. Probably won't need to build one every game but they do get in handy. For instance:

Canal.png

Many of us are predicting that the Marketing Build branch was created for these live streams, to prevent such a recurrance.

I say you're right. Though TBH I don't want to know the Civs that haven't been shown yet.

Yes 5pm Brasilia Time

It's odd that a county in the Americas (Brazil) is only 2 hours behind Ireland, Portugal and the U.K.

Top Bottom