FiRe! - Fall into Revolution

Ok, I'm back home and startet working on the mod again. Just finished succesfully integrating Revolution 1.64. Next thing is going to be stripping everything from the Revolution code that is somehow connected to espionage. That should fix the culture through spy points problem reported by Opera - hopefully. After this I'll try to pimp the dynamic civ names. 1.64 makes this a bit easier than it would have been before. Thanks for all the input concerning the names issue btw. I'll not change the civics itself though, but I'll see what I can do about Godqueendom. :)

For those who want to know it. All the peoples republics come from Decentralization. Maybe it has also something to do with me coming from the eastern part of Germany, but probably not after almost 20 years of reunification. ;) Revolution wanted me to declare one civic to be commuinistic and I thought this would be the most fitting one.

Concerning the Flavour Start option: There shouldn't be any problems with this component. At least there are none I did encounter myself so far. Everything FlvourMod does happens after the map generation. If you only get errors playing the Erebus map script, than there might be another reason: Erebus limits the number of allowed civs. If there are not enough regions it will throw python exceptions. However, if you get errors again, then please post theme here.

With minor civs enabled the AI should be forced to research cartography for their own goodwill (might be a harder task).

No, I'll try another solution first. I'll add some more techs to the list of techs making a minor civ a full civ. I was thinking about Trade and Feudalism, because both are techs which actually allow you to trade stuff.

The increasing difficulty option doesnt seem to count in the minor civs, who might be more advanced then you, just check if so.

Could be. I'll check this out. Never tried this option myself.

Only problem I've yet encountered is with my rivals ... the AI doesn't know how to deal with what's going on. The end consequence of this is that those Civilizations that can deal with this (IE the human player) have an easy time of eliminating rivals.

True. Jdog500 promised to do something about the revolution AI in one of the next releases. So don't worry, he'll do a great job with this as always. As a quick solution I'll lower the influence of unhappy faces. Some games soley played by the AI showed me, that the AI lets its cities almost always grow to unwise sizes. A middle term solution could be to to somehow tell the AI simply never to do this. The only advantage of letting cities grow beyond the happy cap is to get some more free units. Nothing else. Am I right?

Multireligious Civs are highly problematic right now.
Its a bad idea to mix ur current statereligion with e.g. Empyrean or Council of Esus. Every new Holy City gets a big draft towards rebellion.

That's intentional, but it should only be really problamtic, if you are running Theocracy, Crusade, God King, Arete or Guardian of Nature (decreasing in this order). But there are not only downsides to this. You'll get some rev index boni for your own religion with this civics.

[to_xp]Gekko;7386898 said:
... it's way too easy to trigger revolutions. they should be more the result of "extreme" circumstances instead than a constant threat imho.

Revolutions should be always a thread. But you are right, that they should be a bit less likely. It should be very hard to hold conquered cities, but not impossible either. At the moment it's way to easy to conquer and assimilate your foes. Speaking about assimilation: I was thinking about giving the barbarian leader the assimilation trait, if that's possible. I think it really fits, but would that be really a good idea? I don't have any experiences with this trait. Only read about it in the forum.

I ran into a problem that seems to creep up a lot; I could do any tech research. I've heard this comes from playing FF and the FfH because some of the flags in FF when ported into FfH says "No techs!"

Hey Arkam, I'm surprised you are still playing this mod mod after your traumatic experiences with it in your past games. Good to see, you didn't throw in the towel completely. ;)

But back to your problem: You could research any tech? Heard only of the opposite problem so far - no reasearch at all (similar to the Illian world spell). To be honest, I don't like the game option saving mechanism of civ4 very much. It's just a constant source of problems. I'm tempted to disable it completely. Did you check which game options are really active on the game settings page of the victory screen? It's the only way to be sure what's going on with the hidden options ingame. Another thing you could try is to reset the game options in your CivilizationIV.ini to zeros and check if the problem vanishes. If you know how to do this.

Jean Elcard out. (Has to give some new orders to his Priors)

@arkham, I guess you're having the infamous hidden "no tech" option turned on. to get things back to normal you could just start a game with play now!

play now! automatically deselects all options and should fix the problem. after you've started that play now! game you can of course just close it immediately and start a new custom one with your preferred options. let us know if this fixed your issue :)

@Jean Elcard: I think it was MagisterCuultum suggesting that barbarians should get the tolerant trait. I think it's fitting and would definitely be a lot of fun. it's worth a try imho :D

But back to your problem: You could research any tech? Heard only of the opposite problem so far - no reasearch at all (similar to the Illian world spell). To be honest, I don't like the game option saving mechanism of civ4 very much. It's just a constant source of problems. I'm tempted to disable it completely. Did you check which game options are really active on the game settings page of the victory screen? It's the only way to be sure what's going on with the hidden options ingame. Another thing you could try is to reset the game options in your CivilizationIV.ini to zeros and check if the problem vanishes. If you know how to do this.

I'm a glutton for punishment. Actually I meant to say, I couldn't research ANY tech. It wasn't even an option. As for the last bit of advice, no I don't know how.

Wo wohnen Sie im Deutschland? I was stationed in Bamberg back in the mid 90's. About the only decent thing about my time in Afghanistan was I was able to take leave for a week in England/Scotland and then a week in Germany. Got to see Munchen (outside of Oktoberfest, that is) and then back to Bamberg.

10/29/2008 Update: Well I can fix the problem by starting a game in FF and unchecking every option and then go back to FiRe. It's weird, but at least it works. As I mentioned, as a glutton for punishment, as the mod stands right now, the Kuriotates are the way to go. I'm playing with as them with 6 other Civs. So far only the Khazad and Luann seem to have manage to only have 1 or 2 rebellions. Every other AI player's empires are racked with rebellion and no one seems to be able to do much research so not only am I doing fine militarily, but I'm about 5-10 techs ahead of everyone.

Again I notice that it is a Civ's biggest (and one would expect most culturally aligned cities) that rebel. So what I'm seeing is a Civ loses it's prime city (or 2) leaving it with only one or two minor cities that generally get eaten by some other Civ. The new Civ has it good for a bit, they expand and then those same cities that rebelled to create this new Civ rebel AGAIN!

What's odd is barbarian cities don't seem to be scaling up to their own Civs very fast, but I'm thinking that may be because a lot of the barb cities are located in really crappy food areas and so aren't growing fast enough to trigger the advancement.

I must say, as this mod stands right now, I feel like I'm playing in Italy around the time of Niccolò Machiavelli with all the small city-states fighting each other! =)~

i like this modmod, got a couple of ctd while playing but fun anyway..
just a question: is it possible to re-name the name of the folder this is installed in? if it contains "Fall from Heaven 2" it's possible to select the Fall from Heaven-tab in the Full of Resources - mapscript. that doesn't work now.
thanx:)

i like this modmod, got a couple of ctd while playing but fun anyway..
just a question: is it possible to re-name the name of the folder this is installed in? if it contains "Fall from Heaven 2" it's possible to select the Fall from Heaven-tab in the Full of Resources - mapscript. that doesn't work now.
thanx:)

I'm happy you like it. I didn't have an CtD for quite some time now. Are you sure you were using FiRe 0.0.2 with Fallfrom Heaven Patch G? It's not really compatible with Patch H at the moemnt.

Renaming the folder is not a good idea. It's easier to slightly modify the Full of Resources map script to recognize FiRe. Feel free to use the modified version of this map script attached below.

Edit: Welcome to the forum! :)

Attachments

• Full_of_Resources.zip
    159 KB · Views: 122
cheers!
i have no clue how to modify the code or something, so thanks a lot:)
and right, i'm using patch H, that might be the problem. is there a uninstall or do i have delete the whole FFH and reinstall incl patch G?
greetings

Here it is, FiRe for 0.34h. I especially like the new avoid angry citizens button (see the screen shot below).

Change Log for 0.0.3:

• add: button that dynamically stops city growth at the happy cap
  • add: Full of Resources map script version fully compatible to FiRe
  • add: installer calls uninstaller for older versions before installing if necessary
  • change: updated to work with FfH 0.34 patch h
  • change: new Revolution 1.64 content integrated
  • change: FlavorMod component updated to 2.1.5
  • change: startet toying around wit dynamic civ names (removed all era dependent stuff, added new names, ...)
  • change: score board shows civ name instead of leader name
  • change: renamed the FfH Editor to FiRe Editor and added the additional civic tags in blue
  • change: reduced influence of distance to capital on rev index
  • change: disabled game options saving mechanism
  • change: Trade turns minor civs into full civs as well
  • change: new icon for desktop link
  • fix: removed/disabled everything that has anything to do with espionage
  • fix: game mode information etc. is now displayed correctly above the score board

Attachments

• AvoidAngryCitizens.jpg
    AvoidAngryCitizens.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 536
nice! i give it a try later on.
i had a problem playing yesterday as i changed to hyborem: there are happieness-problems and the cities became revolutionary, because of no food and unhappieness... but there are only demonic citizens in the hyborem cities, which don't need to eat and laugh at all;) so should infernal cities be able to revolt?

brilliant! I'll try the new version as soon as I get home :D

GREAT idea about the "avoid angry people" button btw! another one for "avoid unhealthy people" would be nice of course for those of us that hate that green hazy cloud around their cities :lol:

Yay! I won a cultural victory thanks to the Great Library. It gives each of my Sage 60000+ culture points per turn :crazyeye: So... I'd say that something in this wonder is broken.

Otherwise, it was great. I played the Grigori (first time!) in a Creation map. Starting spot really annoying: a sort of path between two valleys. A very open field full of jungle. But I managed to have a pretty decent research (90% at turn 400~ with 3 cities, ~170 beakers/turn). Sanitation helped. I was late on military techs though, as I saw some Champions... Sheaim, neighbor, kept throwing me their annoying Pyre Zombies. When the bug showed its ugly face, I had already 7500+ culture with my capital.

Revolution-wise, nothing happened to me. I was careful not to send my settler to far away. In fact, my fat crosses overlapped each other. I managed to keep my citizens happy and healthy (I loathe jungle). And with the huge culture I had, everything went fine. Did I mention this Great Bard I popped out of a Barrow 10 turn after the beginning? :D

For some reason 0.0.3 came with an incomplete game core. Sorry for the inconvenience. It's fixed in 0.0.4 (first post).

@Opera: I'm happy you've made it through FiRe without provoking a revolution. It seems it's possible after all (at least for human players). Pyre Zombies are really insane. Siege and melee weapon in one. You can't do anything against them in the early game. A stack of 12 Pyre Zombies destroyed me completely in my last mp game.
I don't know how you managed to get 60k+ culture from your great library scientists. I tried to reproduce the bug, but I weren't lucky. Everything worked as intended. Maybe it had something to do with the screwed up 0.0.3 game core. However, I'll keep an eye on the great libray.

@Gecko: I knew someone would ask for the second button. ;) I'll see what I can do, but first let's try out how the first one is doing its job. If it work's well I might try to teach the AI to use it as well.

@welpe: You are right, that shouldn't happen. I plan to make the Infernal and Mercurians more or less immune to revolutions. Only if there is enough foreign population some rebels may spawn.

could the option " AI autoplays your civ for X turns" be axed? flavourful as it is, it's just not fun at all to sit down and watch, we wanna play! ;)

[to_xp]Gekko;7411157 said:
could the option " AI autoplays your civ for X turns" be axed? flavourful as it is, it's just not fun at all to sit down and watch, we wanna play! ;)

I don't like this option either. You can switch it off easily by making a small change to the file Revolution.ini yourself. Look for these lines ...
Code:
[COLOR="Green"]; Cities may ask for a new leader or election (human player's civ is automated for a set number of turns)[/COLOR]
LeaderRevolution = True
HumanLeaderRevolution = True

... and change the third line to ...
Code:
HumanLeaderRevolution = False

That should do the job. The file is located at <Your Beyond the Swords Folder>/Mods/Fall into Revolution/.

thanx for the info, I'll definitely do it. you should probably add this to the first post as I guess that many people will like this change. ;)

btw, your signature needs updating ( and Currrent should be with just two "r" ) :p

in my current game I started next to a goblin fort with NO defenders, not sure if that's supposed to happen.

end of winter was selected and it seemed to be working, although I noticed a lot of non-forested grassland tiles that you'd expect to be tundra instead.

start as minor civs was selected but it didn't work for some strange reason. maybe because I was playing with the hidden option "no buildings get destroyed on city conquest" turned on and it screwed up the gameoptions? I don't think so, weird... :\

[to_xp]Gekko;7412955 said:
in my current game I started next to a goblin fort with NO defenders, not sure if that's supposed to happen.

Odd. This shouldn't happen, according to the FfH code. And thanks for demonstrating the correct spelling of "current". ;) (fixed my signature)

end of winter was selected and it seemed to be working, although I noticed a lot of non-forested grassland tiles that you'd expect to be tundra instead.

End of Winter and FlavourMod working together isn't problematic. The map turns to ice after the assignment of starting locations. Patches of grassland aren't supposed to happen. Not in the first 10 turns that means. I tried the option myself and it did work as intended. Maybe you did mistake it for marsh? Marsh is not turning into anything with "End of Winter" activated.

Edit: Thinking about it, I would like for Marsh to turn into something else too. And why are features not turning into their snowy selfes? I could imagine ice on the water or snow on the trees. Even deciduous forests turning into conifer forests. Maybe this is something for a future version of FlavourMod, if it isn't too hefty for the CPU. Temporary land bridges would be cool too, but they are proably not a good idea, if someone should decide to build a city there.

start as minor civs was selected but it didn't work for some strange reason. maybe because I was playing with the hidden option "no buildings get destroyed on city conquest" turned on and it screwed up the gameoptions? I don't think so, weird... :\

Again, very odd. Are you sure you had an unmoded Fall from Heaven on your computer before installing FiRe? Even with the "no buildings get destroyed on city conquest" option active everything went fine for me.

fall from heaven was patch H and unmodded before I installed FiRe, yes. I did a couple tweaks in python AFTER installing FiRe, namely xienwolf's fix for the missing potions in the treasure chests ( http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7401568&postcount=16 ) , DrPepper's "mercurian/infernal fix" ( http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297605 ) , setting cottage types to delete less forest in the tile they're in ( cosmetic, I just halved the fCenterCut values ) , setting all unique features to appear on the map ( UNIQUE_FEATURE_CHANCE = 200 in globalaltdefines.xml ) and I was playing ErebusWrap ( erebus.py with X and Y wraps ) . all of these where done manually, I did not replace any file in the FiRe! folder.

regarding "End of Winter" , it's a base FFH issues that tiles with a feature on them do not convert to tundra, but as you said regular grassland tiles remaining grassland are weird. water and possibly rivers turning to ice would be definitely awesome! :)

@Gekko: A candidate for bringing up some issues could have been the replacement of the CvEventManager.py file (the mercurian fix), but as you've made the change without replacing the entire file, I don't have a clue, what could have caused your problems. Everything else seems unproblematic to me.

End of winter: It's an easy Python change to take the "no tundra on plots with features restriction" away. What could have been the reason for this restriction in the first place? Any ideas? Frozen rivers would involve new river graphics. Rather complicated. I don't even know if it is possible to change rivers at runtime. Ice on the ocean or frozen lakes would involve some SDK changes but this should be doable.

Top Bottom