[GS] First civ in the new patch?

I am ambivalent about my actions.
It has been a while since I played and the extra time is rather nice.
It’s strange but I feel like I will curse them if the fix hurricanes.
That's why I play at night after my wife and daughter are in bed. I pop on the television and play a few turns during commercials in shows or downtime (face-offs, huddles, pitching changes) in sporting events. That way I'm not squandering Quality Family Time™ sitting in front of my computer.

As for which civ I'll play, I'm looking forward to trying out Random with the new changes.

Kupe, Phoenicia, Indonesia, or Norway with the new 7 Lakes map.

Ooo good idea. That map is defo high on my list. As is the new continents one

But my first play is Canada. Have to see the prod changes and give diplo a fair shake. (Real reason: With the Stanley Cup fresh done, I am feeling the NHL hockey spirit. My first 7 cities will be the current teams. If I settle an 8th, it will be Quebec City because they deserve a team. 9th onward, who knows)

Most likely Sweden trying for a Diplomatic victory. Seven Seas map script for sure.

Totaly forgot about the new map types! I'll definitely also be going to Seven Seas first. It reminds me of Mediterranean, which I love, but without the huge empty desert which I don't like :crazyeye:

After that, maybe a naval domination game on one of the new maps with the Ottomans, Dido or Norway.
Great idea, I think that will be my second game as well. One of those three on Small Continents.

England with Victoria to properly try out the new Industrial zone changes (Especially that delicious +9 factory). Her military engineer bonus will make dams and canals easy to make, which will help boost those IZ yields.
I like the idea of going England to test out the new changes as well - could be cool with Seven Seas for finally making my first worthwhile (maybe?) Canal.

Mali because it's the last Civ I have to beat the game with. I was close to finishing a game awhile back but developed a bad case of burnout.

I chose Canada, as I hadn't tried them yet, and they look quite good now, with boosted farms, mines, camps and lumber mills. The fact that you can purchase tundra tiles cheaply is also very nice.

I have had a rather incredible start with lots of flood plains around my capital. It was slow in the beginning, while I was constructing the Great Bath. Now however, I am producing more than 40 faith per turn just from one city. It has 7 tiles with 4 faith, high food and high gold.

England/Victory right now. I usually go to sleep now, but I'll play just a couple hours. ;)

Playing a huge map. I think I added 3 or 4 extra civs. Reduced city states to 15. 7 seas map. Most settings are default, but I did take out cultural and religious victory, I don't want the game to end too early. I'm uncertain what will happen with diplomatic, that may force it to end early, but I do want to test it so I left it on.

Last edited:
Gonna take a look at Canada...
Then Brazil (lumbermill on rainforest should make for some VERY strong cities)
Then I'll see if Maori are worth playing

On Pangaea mostly (water tiles are a waste for such civs)

I've played every Civ, and I sorta keep a running list of who to play next in what order so that I give fairly equal time to each civ, so next on my list was Aztec. So that's what I'm doing. Eagle Warrior rush has been particularly effective, but that may just be the results of the random aspects of the map.

I'm actually playing as Rome since I'm trying to fill up the hall of fame and I figured a good "basic" civ for my first playthrough of the new patch would be fun. Legions are just as OP as ever, and Rome's abilities make the game so much easier at least starting off. They're still a very good civ, at least for building and invading an early empire and snowballing from there. I took out Hungary and Indonesia no problem, although Arabia proved a tougher. I have basically no tourism so that can't be my endgame, domination will be a slog but doable. Science might work but Tamar (diplomacy), Gandhi (culture) and America (religion oddly enough) are all threats to win first. I like the seven seas map a lot.

Did they somehow tweaked the start biases? First game as Canada spawned right in the middle of lush rainforest with plenty of bananas and chocolate! Moving north revealed hot dry desert. Not a single tundra tile to be seen.

I rerolled of course... while the start was strong, it just simply does not feel right for the civ. Prior to patch even when Canada doesn't spawn directly on tundra they spawn pretty darned close such that tundra tiles are always in sight.

Top Bottom