First game with April patch

I think it will be. I once won an Indonesia CV by relying on Kampungs and Colossal Heads, and I never even had to use a Rock Band or Naturalist.

Surely, you can become the most cultured civ around by placing down giant rocks around pastures :)

I think the bigger question is whether the ones that don't have multiple Pastures to be adjacent to will be worth a damn for Tourism. And so far, Pastures are rather sporadic on my first start, so I won't be having any high powered Kurgans.

Playing as Canada for my first game, and I severely underestimated their improvements to tundra yields: four food on flat tundra with farms; four production on hills with mines. Previously Canada was a "settle on as little tundra as necessary" kind of civilisation like Russia, but now their tundra tiles are simply better than anyone else's grassland and plains tiles. Maui and the Goddess of the Hunt pantheon are a perfect mix for Canada too, as most of the bonus and luxury resources Maui can spawn on tundra woods are improved by camps, especially deer.

Playing as Canada for my first game, and I severely underestimated their improvements to tundra yields: four food on flat tundra with farms; four production on hills with mines. Previously Canada was a "settle on as little tundra as necessary" kind of civilisation like Russia, but now their tundra tiles are simply better than anyone else's grassland and plains tiles. Maui and the Goddess of the Hunt pantheon are a perfect mix for Canada too, as most of the bonus and luxury resources Maui can spawn on tundra woods are improved by camps, especially deer.

So Canada Tunndra farms get +2 food IN ADDITION to the +1 that farms usually give? That's actually pretty huge, since that makes them better than grassland farms. I've gotta try them next!

Yes, I've found myself getting to the border of my starting tundra homeland and grimacing as I look once at the grassland and plains, and again at the luxuries there that I need. Canadian farms are so good that your cities will skyrocket in population compared to what you're used to.

So Canada Tunndra farms get +2 food IN ADDITION to the +1 that farms usually give? That's actually pretty huge, since that makes them better than grassland farms. I've gotta try them next!

You definitely want a very early ancestral hall with Canada now!

Maui and the Goddess of the Hunt pantheon are a perfect mix for Canada too,

And dance of the aurora is still as good for them as always so it's nice to see some pantheon choices.

I will start my new game today.

I go for random leader, small map, continents, quick game speed. Barb clans, corporations, secret societies and heroes.

Its going to be my first game with barb clans actually.

I’m going to play with the Black Queen. I’ll firstly investigate how many extra Châteaus you can build around Wonders, such as the Bolshoi Ballet, now that Château don’t need to be located alongside rivers.

My second objective will be to become culturally dominant against other civilisation(s), and then see just how speedily my ladies-in-waiting can now carry out their “investigations”. What the likes of Céleste & Babette actually get up to is relatively immaterial. But as a fan of espionage, I think the buff in this patch to spying is very welcome!

Maya, small map, continents, zombies, secret socs, heroes & legends, monopolies, barb clans

making a lot of gold so far. The new start biases have given me many plantations

Iron seems to be very scarce though

Portugal
Huge earth map
Barbarian tribes
Immortal difficulty
Epic game speed
extended era’s mod
Smooth difficulty mod

game plan would be rapid early expansion. In the middle game i will try to maximize gold per turn to about 500.
Will play a good bit with naval and air force in the second half of the game.
Will dump all gold on science buildings. And great people or timed agression on the next war. Like insta buy 3 frigates.
Probably go for a science victory.

played half way through a Mapuche game, no modes, small pangea. Trebuchets are welcome. Mapuche are a fun dom Civ for having to be flexible about opening up war fronts to maximise the combat strength bonus. Didn't loyalty flip any city

My Scythia game is going well. Their Faith economy is pretty good. Now that Kurgan Faith becomes Tourism, and I can spend it for Naturalists and Rock Bands, I anticipate Scythia will be very competitive for Cultural Victory.

Also, the Saka is a lot more robust and I find it pretty useful for farming barb camps for Gold.

Canada
Fractal
Normal everything else

Germany, Mediterranean Large, Immortal. Trying out the river starting bias and getting WILD hansas with decent commercial hubs thrown in the mix.

Currently @ turn 122. Spain spawned next to me and declared a very early war on me. I ended up steamrolling through to Spain's capital and took over a solid amount of land. Probably going to turtle for the rest of the game, but I might be swayed to attack England if I can catch up to them in Science. Feels like a nice easy game!

Still working up the courage to try Deity. Any thoughts on the easiest/most fun civ/win type to go for on your first deity game?

Georgia
Continents and Islands
Standard Map (Switch struggles with anything above this in late game)

Decided to try a domination game to see how effective her new ability can be. Barbarian kills got me an early pantheon, chose God of War. This turned out to be very useful because all my HS adjacencies were awful and the majority of my faith to buy missionaries (for CS suzerainty to help with my wars) came from warfare. So - at least on this one game - big thumbs up for new ability!

Had the option to nab Crusade but skipped it to see how effective Tamar could be without it. Rushed Military Tactics for now-upgradeable Khevsurs. Annihilated Persia (kept capital, razed everything else) and am currently sieging Gaul’s capital having captured their whole empire (Gaul full of hill mines, Khevsur good on hills).

Lucked out... dropping my first Nalanda improvement gave me Siege Tactics early in the Medieval era. Wow. Tsikhe’s currently being built where I can and totally making up for my poor HS adjacencies.

Work in progress.

Note 1: I have never used God of War before. Didn’t realize it’s effects work off other Civs HS’s as well. Nice.

Note 2: Doesn’t matter how many capitals you capture... build Tsikhes in every city and STILL make decent Diplo Favor with Monarchy. Everyone hates me though.

Last edited:
Phoenician on Mediterranean true start location, on marathon. I love the ancient/classical era of civ so this map really itches my classical era scratch. So I’m gonna try to conquer Rome as Carthage this time lol. I’m really not sure of a good win condition for Carthage though, any advice?

Phoenician on Mediterranean true start location, on marathon. I love the ancient/classical era of civ so this map really itches my classical era scratch. So I’m gonna try to conquer Rome as Carthage this time lol. I’m really not sure of a good win condition for Carthage though, any advice?
Phoenicia can easily be the wealthiest civ, and they can jack up yields for colonial cities by placing their capital in their least populated continent. This leads towards diplomacy, science, and domination the most imo.

Note that you'll start in the Levant. You can move the capital to Carthage, and settle Carthage for that matter, later on but if you have a lot of African cities (and you should), you may loose colonial bonuses you would otherwise be able to make great use of.

Top Bottom