First ideology you want to try?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by AlpsStranger, Jul 6, 2013.

?

Which ideology are you going to try first?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2013.
  1. Freedom

47.6%
  2. Order

37.4%
  3. Autocracy

15.0%
  1. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

So what ideology is everyone going to spin first?

I'm going to indulge my dark side and roll with Autocracy for my first big game.

2. scheva007

scheva007 Prince

Spoiler :

3. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Freedom only because I want to win as Culturally Maginificent Free France.

Then I'll play as each new civ with each civ picking one of the Win X victory with Y ideology.. so I'll have a lot of new ways to play :D

4. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

It's funny because he's an authoritarian.

5. AlpsStranger

I... don't really know if I agree.

I mean, I don't really like Mel Gibson, but he's not what I'd think of as an authoritarian.

6. JokerJace

JokerJace Prince

Am I the only one that decides by how the empire has developed?! :rolleyes:

7. Ryoga

Ryoga King

There's another factor to consider. The one who founds an ideology gets 2 free tenets.

So even if I wanted to get Freedom, if one took it already I'd rather choose Order or Autocracy.

8. IkM

IkM King

Autocracy.

9. scheva007

scheva007 Prince

or that they didnt wear a kilt untill the 16th scenario

10. Hulking Lummox

Hulking Lummox Warlord

I want to do every victory and ideology as Venice, Freedom as France, and then go by fingerspitzengef├╝hl for all other civs (which might also be a hint at a German Autocracy - Desert Fox style playthough at some point). ;)

I voted Autocracy because conquest is always my favorite and therefore I will probably do it first.

11. EnterDOT

EnterDOT Chieftain

This. It's no logic to choose it randomly.

12. CommunistCookie

CommunistCookie Chieftain

Except nobody here is choosing it randomly. It's perfectly possible, and generally a good idea, to plan your victory ahead.

13. A Rabid Dopsis

A Rabid Dopsis Warlord

In a G&K domination game, if you opened an ideology at all, it was order for the happiness. It should be fun to go Autocracy for a change.

Autocracy diplo victory with Venice perhaps? Very Enrico Dandolo. :lol:

14. JokerJace

JokerJace Prince

If you can plan so detailed from start, you probably play on Settler.

15. AlpsStranger

Meh, I guess. I usually only play on King or so (nothing to brag about, certainly.)

Anyhow, please do hijack the thread by measuring your CivCock. Don't let its original purpose get in the way or anything.

16. pilot00

pilot00 King

Am the only one who feels that the 'new' ideology trees are just revamps and am looking forward to the other things and didnt put much though on this? :lol: Probably I am.

But to answer, I will let the game decide, but if war or the need for puppets hasn't been toned down probably order or autocracy.

17. Hulking Lummox

Hulking Lummox Warlord

You can absolutely have a vision for ideology and victory type prior to starting the game. It's what I do all the time on immortal to make more challenging "scenarios" for myself because I don't enjoy diety. Not to mention your ideology choice begins with early game priorities such as building units instead of a second settler. Building culture buildings instead of whatever in the mid game. Spending gold on CS's instead of whatever. If you don't have a vision for those kinds of things THEN you're in trouble.

In a recent game I was allied with every city state and avoided the temptation to change my strategy from a science win. In fact if I had gone for the UN it might not have meant conquering the tech runaway which solidified my science victory and also kept my game fun. Like I said, a little high level role play makes things more interesting - and you have to pick at the start for full effect.

Edit: sorry didn't see the OP's post about thread high jacking. Though I think mine still counts as on topic because it builds a case for discussing the topic in the first place :)

18. Ryoga

Ryoga King

Huh honestly... I can't see how can you win a pre BNW cultural victory without planning it from start. At any rate you are doing it wrong if you don't.

19. A Rabid Dopsis

A Rabid Dopsis Warlord

Good lord. I couldn't play a game on Deity without planning ahead. I mean you don't pick Babylon and then vaguely explore the options. You plan a science victory.

Edit: You're right, AlpsStranger, let's put 'em away. Autocracy Venice all the way. :p

20. CommunistCookie

CommunistCookie Chieftain

If by "detailed" you mean knowing what VC you're aiming for and the best policies/wonders for that VC, then sure.