First Impressions Collection/Discussion

Well, our embargo on first impressions just lifted, and there's already a flood of new coverage.

So let me start by sharing the video with the overview of cultures Elhoim shared in the other thread.

Please do share anything else you see for everybody else to enjoy. I don't think I can keep track of it all myself. :)

I really like this one, the guy deep dived quite a lot in the mechanics.

@Catoninetales_Amplitude Do you control the units yourself in combat? The videos don't really mention it when talking about combat.

@Catoninetales_Amplitude Do you control the units yourself in combat? The videos don't really mention it when talking about combat.

Yes, you have full, direct control over your units. And as some of the videos point out, you can "click out of" the combat at any time to manage your empire. E.g. if you see the battle is not going well, you can go out of the battle while your enemy is taking their turn to move another army in to back you up the next turn.

Yes, you have full, direct control over your units. And as some of the videos point out, you can "click out of" the combat at any time to manage your empire. E.g. if you see the battle is not going well, you can go out of the battle while your enemy is taking their turn to move another army in to back you up the next turn.

Awesome, this game is going to be great. I love everything I'm seeing.

Can someone make a list of weblinks for articles on Humankind? So we could mine them for info ;)

Does anyone know if there is gameplay information in this video that has not been talked about in others?
I summarized the info that I think was not available from other sources last week in the Humankind Game by Amplitude Thread.

A couple of screenshots from these videos:

Culture and EQ Bonuses, I think legacy bonuses are a separate trait not pictured but I'm not quite sure.
hmk-culture_bonuses.jpg

Gameplay Orientations, each with a special mechanic. Couldn't find expansionist, aesthete, or merchant.
hmk-agrarian (2).jpg hmk-builder (2).jpg hmk-militarist (2).jpg hmk-scientist (2).jpg

Ideology Bonuses.
hmk-ideologies (2).jpg

Basic Quarters. Couldn't find market, defense, or harbor quarters.
commons-q (2).jpg farmers-q (2).jpg research-q (2).jpg trades-q (2).jpg

Obviously these are from the alpha version and subject to change. I think the special mechanic for each orientation is a cool idea, though I sorta wish that the scientist and builder mechanics were as creative as the militarist and agrarian mechanics. I'm also super interested in seeing how ideology will play out besides the bonuses shown.

EDIT: Just saw that a bunch of these are also in the Humankind Game by Amplitude thread.

Last edited:
Culture and EQ Bonuses, I think legacy bonuses are a separate trait not pictured but I'm not quite sure.
View attachment 561104
The top bonus in that list is the Legacy Trait

Gameplay Orientations, each with a special mechanic. Couldn't find expansionist, aesthete, or merchant.
View attachment 561105 View attachment 561106 View attachment 561107 View attachment 561108
Those three are not ready to be shown yet for UI reasons.

Keep in mind that this picture only shows the extreme positions of the axes. Each of the bonuses gets weaker as you move away from that extreme while the opposing bonus gets stronger. The center offers a combination of both bonuses, rather than no bonus at all.

Obviously these are from the alpha version and subject to change. I think the special mechanic for each orientation is a cool idea, though I sorta wish that the scientist and builder mechanics were as creative as the militarist and agrarian mechanics. I'm also super interested in seeing how ideology will play out besides the bonuses shown.

The Builder and Scientist abilities might not seem as "creative" as Militarist and Agrarian, but I personally find that they have as much or often more impact on my strategy. For example, As Babylon I can choose to invest heavily in Industry and knock out some buildings and some units to defend, then I divert all that Industry into a burst of science, then turn the ability off to make use of what I just unlocked. I don't have to invest specifically in Science to reap some scientific benefits. Much like the Fame system, the Builder and Scientist abilities offer you a lot of flexibility.
Also consider combinations of different cultures. The Babylonian "+2 Science on Extensions" turns into "+2 Industry on Extensions" if you switch to a Builder Culture later and turn on their ability, and in the same vein the Celtic and Mayan "+3 Food/Industry on Exploitation" can give you some huge scientific leaps in a later Era by taking a Scientist Culture.

I just saw an interesting thing on the Mauryans card... "Independent people under patronage". Minor civs peacefully integrated?

Top Bottom