First Impressions

First Impression: Love it. It so nice to have this style of game not have to cramp itself around historical modeling. I also liked being swarmed with aliens when I tried to expand. :)

Looks like I'm going to wait this one out and maybe purchase it when the base game and its first DLC go on sale. After spending over 1000 hrs on CiV G&K and BNW (considerably more with the former than the latter) and then not touching it in awhile, I was hoping CiV: BE ;) would offer a completely novel 4X experience. Reading many of the comments here suggest otherwise. Thanks guys for saving me $50. The one thing I've been enjoying so far is the game's soundtrack on sale on itunes.

After playing my first games I have to say I’m in utter amazement how they could release such an unpolished and unfinished product… I’m sorry some of these issues and faceplants have been mentioned before… this is just a small selection of the numerous issues it took little time to identify...

Challenge
- First game (gemini), far from being a great Civ player, quit at turn 150 being more than double points ahead number two , having just received my second affinity point… *sigh* restart... Second game (second highest difficulty) – rage quit after taking enemy capital not losing one soldier on turn 120. Almost double points. I have 7 cities, most have 2-3 .

- “Hello, my name is purity one Explorer. I will camp outside every nest on the planet until the stoopied aliens leave, and then I will burn it with no retaliation. Because I just turned into a God, not sure why this godhood does not extent to my friends in marine clothing over there - but still… fire it up”

- On Gemini, I thought my three cruisers should soften up the defences of my nearest enemy’s capital. To my utter surprise, three (3!) volleys brought the city down to zero, and a CARVER I keept as backup as a ship could just take the city. Mine and their main army did not exchange a bullet… (I actually replayed the turn, there was ZERO way that the my enemy could hinder me from taking the capital in that first turn of war. Even if I declared war and let him move first, two cruisers and two marines were more than enough…)

UI
- I spent 20 min trying to locate the option to show what my city just built, no avail, this most obvious information does not exist.

- I can hardly see what hexes my population is working from the gigantic icons cluttering the city interface. I actually never access the ciry screen any more, except for one reason… trade route availability (*sigh* see further down)

- (update: seems i might be wrong on this) You can’t search for buildings or units on the research screen… A CTRL-F function would suffice…

- Still I can’t see if my damn artillery can fire on the evildoers BEFORE I set up. *sigh*

- I can’t see the damned miasma… and I got 20/20 vision… In orbital view I’ve missed a couple of launches of repulsers due to this.

- No warning on either Explorers or workers will DIE in miasma before they finish their task... You will have to gauge if they have enough health left, and then remember to check EVERY TURN

- And worst of all – workers lack radio… “Sir, I’m close to death here, mind if I go to the hospital to heal up and finish this later?”… They just work themselves to death.

Trade routes & stations
- I have no clue what stations are for. They are almost always a worse choice than a normal trade route. I did not really like city states (until the PLUS maps solved my main issues) but this is a gigantic disappointment. It’s just a wasted tile that kills your ability to settle where you want for some unknown reason… and they are kinda ugly... A station the size of a city....

- Don’t even get me started on trade routes… a brand new city can produce a Tacjet or marine on standard speed in 1 turn after the third vessel is built… Balancing people, balancing…

- Trade route updating… all the time… every turn…
- (also seem to be wrong on this, but this is minor point) Not stating previous trade route (are you effing kidding me)
- When building a vessel, I first need to press the city to see if I have room for more trade vessels or convoys. No info on the production screen.

- No info if there is anyone I can trade with BEFORE I build a vessel or a convoy. Especially in the early game, wasting time building a vessel or convoy just to find out that I can trade with no one is almost a rage quit.
- Trade depot and Autoplant… all you need….

Other:

- Most sad - wonders… are not wonders…. Almost all are really boring and pointless. The feeling when you GE rushed Notre Dame or fought your neighbour over Stonehedge… all gone. Or that epic feeling when you finished Liberty as Poland and still managed to grab the Hanging Gardens, what memories of joy. Or getting the Weather Paradigm in AC - NOW the fuuuun starts! *siiigh*

- A victory picture… Most disappointing ending since the last Batman movie...
- Is there any point to use diplomacy? Sorry, I can’t see any... in any game so far.

But – I still enjoy it. But in my mind, this is as broken as Civ5 was on release, maybe even more. And with Civ5 I stayed away for 2 years until I found the energy to go back.

Ok, I’ll end rant here… Firaxis… Please fix above in a patch. If you wait until a DLC or something an avid fan having played every game since Civ1 will be lost.

A lot of your complaints are fair, but some of them just seem wrong. Just to the right of the filter option in the top left corner of the research screen is a search bar to find buildings and units. And trade routes DO have a "previous route" thing listed on whatever their previous route was. Granted, it's perhaps too small, but it is there.

As for trade routes, Stations are not bad by virtue of being bad. They're bad by virtue of the other options being too good. If international and internal trade routes were hit with a (probably large) nerf, than Stations would become more appealing, and fewer people would be looking for mods to tone them down.

A lot of your complaints are fair, but some of them just seem wrong. Just to the right of the filter option in the top left corner of the research screen is a search bar to find buildings and units. And trade routes DO have a "previous route" thing listed on whatever their previous route was. Granted, it's perhaps too small, but it is there.

As for trade routes, Stations are not bad by virtue of being bad. They're bad by virtue of the other options being too good. If international and internal trade routes were hit with a (probably large) nerf, than Stations would become more appealing, and fewer people would be looking for mods to tone them down.

1: The Filter only works for the tech (for me at least). I could for my life not find Biowells or carriers....

2: I know i have seen it once or twice when you mention it.... but rarely (checking now, not there). Could be that the route has been taken already, but that does not make sense...?

3: Good point - could be balanced easily.

1: The Filter only works for the tech (for me at least). I could for my life not find Biowells or carriers....

There is a search box right next to the filter where you can type in exactly what you are looking for. Did you try that?

I did, but obviously not enough if you both state it should work. Will verify - thanks.

The game has some nice things to it, but over all I feel like it had very little passion in its making.

It feels like they did as little as they possibly could. There is no soul in this product. I blame the company for this not the designers.

I´ve played 3 games so far till the end, all on Apollo difficulty and I almost won. I lost it to another faction beating me by around 2 turns, where I had to reload the game just to find out what was actually happening and who had won. The Victory/Defeat picture is such an anti-climax.

Factions and their leaders are plain boring and soulless, wonders are hugely uninteresting, as well as diplomacy, virtues and AI(not right in the head).

The foundation is there for a sweet game, but Firaxis needs to get their together and release a fat and juicy patch, for me to want to start a new game. If nothing serious is gonna come from them until they tell us that they are gonna release an Expansion, I´m seriously thinking about boycotting this company all together. I have a bitter taste in my mouth, and this game is going on the shelf until.

Could be that the route has been taken already, but that does not make sense...?
Yes, that can easily happen, because they have prevented "mirrored" trade routes. If you have a trade route from A to B, you can no longer have a route from B to A. Also, sometimes foreign routes are cut off by miasma or hostiles. Usually a "previous route" is identified--but not always.

I agreed with most of the first half of your list of flaws, though!

It's not easily noticable. Just bolding/coloring it and making it the top option on the list should help immensely.

another factor that may be hitting people too is that if you have 2-3 trades all come due at the same time for a city the trade you are looking at may be for a city further down the list. The previous route only specifically shows what that unit was doing. I know it has messed me up a few times late game and I end up sending the trade off to someone else's route. in the end they all get setup again, but not with the same units all the time.

Horribly broken and extremely unpolished - but still sort of fun...
Hahaha... that describes it perfectly. ^^

(Sorry for not adding anything to the conversation.)

It's not easily noticable. Just bolding/coloring it and making it the top option on the list should help immensely.

Looks exactly the same to me, I had no problem finding previous routes. But I do agree, previous route should be at the top of the list.

I agree with almost everything that OP said, I think that it is at this point a general consensus that trade routes are broken.

The AI also seems to be way too much concerned about building the pointless wonders and very little concerned about building a vast army a trend that I've noticed in BNW as well (but at least wonders are useful there). I wish they went back to how God & Kings was, there the AI at least knew how spam units to make your life harder.

Unfortunately, entirely accurate description of game by OP. Also agree with the statement it feels like they put absolutely minimal energy into it.

... at the same time, yet another +1 to the statement 'still sort of fun'. It's fun simply because it's a Civ game, and Civ games are fun. But it's a total, inexcusable mess. Add a +1 on the boycott option, as well.

I think the early game is really amazing. Once you get 4+ cities it gets kinda dull if you stay peaceful. Late game is tedious. If you are way ahead, it's a bit dull. If you have to go destroy another faction's planetary wonder, it's rather exciting. The "holy crap, can I phasal transport enough troops in and reach it in time" feeling is pretty great.

I'd be curious if any of the Devs have posted anywhere with regards to the underwhelming response. I guess I probably wouldn't were I a dev so no surprise.

It would be nice to have an update as to if there's a patch or fixes on the way. Typical, for Firaxis/2K - they make a lot of noise prior to launch but nothing after. It would be nice just to hear a word or two - "hey guys we've heard you and we're working on it!" for example.

Moderator Action: A second first impression thread merged into the main one

Tech web: Love the idea even if the UI needs alot of help as pointed out by many others.

Victory conditions: Again I like the idea of having to accomplish something really epic, the actual implementation doesn't seem very epic. Just moving some slow moving units, or feed your entire army into a hole... The steps (Victory points) along the way doesn't really give you any sense of being on the road to victory.

Traderoutes: I don't even...

Military: I like the idea of perks to add another layer of shaping your civilization, however, I think it is a mistake to have them completely replace the promotions from CiV. In CiV you could have 3 standard soldiers that were completely different units shaped by your choices. One could be a frontal assault heavy hitter and damage sponge, one could be a marine assault unit and a third could be a special ops, all terrain-going assassin. It made the army much more personalized and you almost got emotionally attached to some of your elite units. In BE, if one of your units die? No problem. Build another and throw it into the fray.

1UPT: Ties into the above, I really like 1UPT combat over the stack 20 armors and roll forward of earlier games, but with the above mentioned problems, combat doesn't get as interesting tactically as all units seem more or less the same, they are either ranged or melee, period.

Affinities: Fantastic idea! The implementation again lacks something. Right now it is too closely linked to tech. All you have to do is research stuff and your affinity levels go in whichever direction you want to, it's too easy. Your actions in the game have next to no impact at all! You can easily make a treehugging hippie civilization with 18 in supremacy, or instead make an all devouring monster civilization with 18 in harmony...

Trees: Where is the lumberyard equivalent for harmony? A complete oversight? Right now trees are something to cut down to make room for tile improvements and nothing else... :(

Virtues: Lack what social policies had in CiV: Exclusion! Right now it's just random bonuses that trickle in over time. There are no hard choices to make along the way.

Quests: Another great idea! Should have more gameplay involvement though! Instead of just choosing one over the other and done. And quests should also have a greater impact upon affinities instead of tech being the dominant factor here.

Exploration/Excavation: Love it! Hope you expand upon the idea! More is better! :)

Wonders: There's not much wonder about most of them.

Tile improvements: Great work here! Very balanced and varied choices.

Satellites: Another great idea and well implemented.

There are many other things to comment on, but most have already been covered. All in all there is great potential for BE, I hope the, near rather than distant, future develops this potential.

Top Bottom