1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

First Look: Macedon with Alex the Great

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by SupremacyKing2, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Prince

Clearly you've never watched the Eurovision Song Contest

It'd have been burned into your memory forever if so

CivLuvah and Katakanja like this.
  2. drubell

drubell Prince

This game has so many unique swordsmen that, ironically, the baseline "swordsman" is a bit unique in itself.

Please add some more variety to the units.

CPWimmer, ShinigamiKenji and nzcamel like this.
  3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Make a new thread for that, please. We are going to need to discuss it separately, I think.

4. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

I haven't. I try to keep my brain cells alive. And maybe it's not all bad, but with the average level of the people the Netherlands send... Yeah, I try to stay as far away as possible. Do like that Lordi (Finnish, iirc) won with a metal song though. And actually watched that one on YT when I found out. But yeah, that's the extend of the Eurovision Song Contest for me.

nzcamel likes this.
  5. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Done. :)

whyidie likes this.
  6. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

English has the same distinction: Macedonia = FYROM and Macedon = Greek kingdom / region. ;)

Siptah likes this.
  7. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I just noticed that for some reason we see Alexander standing in Pella in his leader screen. The sea being close and he's still in a southern European environment.

8. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

9. Katakanja

Katakanja Emperor

You are not alone! I too credit all my knowledge of the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia to Eurovision. :thumbsup:

It might be a technicolour all-singing all-dancing contest with awful music, but also manages to accurately reveal the geopolitical state of the European nations every year!

10. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Prince

Well fact of the matter is that most interesting civilizations in human history are pretty old ones, so it's logical that there'd be more unique units from the ancient/classical/medieval eras than anything beyond that. But yeah some more distribution of what units to replace within those eras would be nice

And just in case you get to hear it a second time around in French too :s

11. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Something about the way Alexander takes off his helmet and shakes his hair around when you first meet him reminds me of a specific cartoon character, but I can't recall which one. I'm kind of leaning towards Prince Charming from Shrek 2, but I haven't seen it in a while so I'm uncertain.

12. GauntZero

GauntZero Warlord

I think he looks more like He-Man, prince of eternia.

13. View619

View619 Warlord

And now I understand why John Curtin gains such a huge bonus for having war declared against him.

14. Tacgnol

Tacgnol Warlord

Depends what you mean by 'officially', according to Macedonia it's just called the Republic of Macedonia, the FYROM label is used by the UN/EU because Greece got butthurt about them using the name.

Siptah likes this.
  15. maurcus

maurcus Warlord

Just to throw into the Hypaspist debate: If my memory serves me they were pike-men who sacrificed armor for mobility (and a larger shield), and also used a shorter spear. IIRC they relied on shock and discipline more than durability.

16. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Funny thing is that we now have two swordsmen replacements whose names translate as 'shield bearer'
    Yes, you are correct. They used a spear that was around 2m, and often additionally a throwing spear. It makes sense that they replace the swordsmen since they yield swords as well. And in later Hellenistic times, even rather long ones.

17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Per the blog, they were the flank-guards for the phalanx.

18. Bonci

Bonci King

It should have been an alternate leader for Greece...what a waste of a civ spot.

MantaRevan likes this.
  19. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I'm not sure the spots are limited yet. They probably decided on the first expansion civs and the next DLCs. But after that? If people buy DLC civs, they will probably release new ones until civ VII development starts.

nzcamel likes this.
  20. Bonci

Bonci King

I just don't get how they think Athens and Sparta are kinda the same but Macedon is not. Completely different civilization by any standard :V
    Even their unique ability name is called "Hellenistic Fusion".
    Bah...

MantaRevan and Zaarin like this.