First Look: Macedon with Alex the Great

I just don't get how they think Athens and Sparta are kinda the same but Macedon is not. Completely different civilization by any standard :V
Even their unique ability name is called "Hellenistic Fusion".
Bah...

Cramming a Domination-flavored leader into a culture-themed civ would be crappy design. This is better from a gameplay perspective.

"Hellenistic" means "Greek-like," as opposed to "Hellenic" which is just "Greek."

"Hellenistic" more properly refers to the "Greek lite" culture propagated by the Macedonians in the wake of Alexander's conquest. It's the culture of the Hellenized rather than the Hellenes.

Whether the Macedonians themselves were more properly to be considered among the Hellenes or among the Hellenized is still something of a matter for debate. It depends who you ask. ;)

I agree with those saying that Alexander wouldn't fit well with Greece's civ abilities; I also agree with those saying that adding Macedon is a complete waste of a civ when the Balkans are already overrepresented, even ignoring the fact that Europe as a whole is overrepresented (NB: I want more European civs...later, when we have more non-European civs). I could have blithely lived without seeing the return of Alexander the Great; just make him a great general and be done with it. Same with Napoleon. And Genghis Khan. (Mongolia can have Kublai Khan.)

All that being said, I do admit that Macedon fits a niche not currently present in the game: single-minded rampant conquest. I'm not sure I would have chosen Macedon to fill that niche, however; after all, Alexander's empire crumbled immediately upon his death. I'd much rather have the Mongols fill that role. On the plus side, maybe we'll see a more nuanced depiction of the Mongols? The Yuan did make significant contributions to trade and culture, after all.

I agree with those saying that Alexander wouldn't fit well with Greece's civ abilities; I also agree with those saying that adding Macedon is a complete waste of a civ when the Balkans are already overrepresented, even ignoring the fact that Europe as a whole is overrepresented (NB: I want more European civs...later, when we have more non-European civs). I could have blithely lived without seeing the return of Alexander the Great; just make him a great general and be done with it. Same with Napoleon. And Genghis Khan. (Mongolia can have Kublai Khan.)

All that being said, I do admit that Macedon fits a niche not currently present in the game: single-minded rampant conquest. I'm not sure I would have chosen Macedon to fill that niche, however; after all, Alexander's empire crumbled immediately upon his death. I'd much rather have the Mongols fill that role. On the plus side, maybe we'll see a more nuanced depiction of the Mongols? The Yuan did make significant contributions to trade and culture, after all.

So far the devs are (over)filling southern Balkans/Greek region excluding Albania, and other southern slavic groups. However, the music for Macedon in the first look video sounds like Balkan/south Slavic. If that were the case, I guess it adds a hint of other Balkan group but it would create a huge controversy if Alexander's music is Macedonian music. I could be wrong and they may be northern Greek music. Though, I agree that it is a bit much to add more western civs than needed for now. I was kind of hoping Macedon would only show up in the scenario.

It would be a nice change to give the Mongols a more cultural, tolerant, or adopting traits, especially in regards to trade. Would like to see other Mongol leaders apart from Yuan to get representation but that may not be likely.

Alex is back?! *starts hyperventilating* If he starts complaining about me settling near his lands when I settle 4 tiles away from my capital like he did in Civ V, I swear I will go on a rant.

I never go for domination victory, in fact, I avoid offensive wars altogether. But now with this... oh boy! Can't wait to play as Alexander!!

The irony of Alexander having lower war weariness when that is what effectively ended his campaigning.

The irony of Alexander having lower war weariness when that is what effectively ended his campaigning.
Most armies would have stopped long before he did though.

The great thing about playing against a conquest-dependent civ is that they are the ultimate snowballers. If you can shut down his first assault, he's never going to be able to get back up on his feet, and you can eliminate them later at your leisure.

Last edited:

And here I thought it was his death that stopped his campaigning...

And here I thought it was his death that stopped his campaigning...
His men started protesting that they were sick of fighting when the campaign moved on into India, and that what they had conquered was already enough. They wanted to go home to meet their families again. Alexander wanted to push onwards but eventually had to concede and turn back like his men wanted. He died in an illness shortly thereafter back in Persia

Or at least that's what I remember being taught at least, don't quote me on it

I assume Alexander will speak Attic Greek like Pericles and Gorgo (inaccurate in Gorgo's case). There seems to be not much left of the ancient Macedonian language, which is one of the reasons for the debate about ancient Macedonians being Greek. Hopefully, the voice acting is better that Civ5 Alex :p

I assume Alexander will speak Attic Greek like Pericles and Gorgo (inaccurate in Gorgo's case). There seems to be not much left of the ancient Macedonian language, which is one of the reasons for the debate about ancient Macedonians being Greek. Hopefully, the voice acting is better that Civ5 Alex :p
Evidence leans towards Macedonian being either a sister language or a rather divergent dialect, but closely related either way. (And seriously, would it have been too much to ask for Gorgo to speak Doric Greek?) Given that Alex was educated in Athens, though, I don't have a problem with him speaking Attic Greek.

Alex is back?! *starts hyperventilating* If he starts complaining about me settling near his lands when I settle 4 tiles away from my capital like he did in Civ V, I swear I will go on a rant.

Alexander was the most annoying leader in Civ 5 for me. Marbozir and others hate Trollface the most, but I hated Alexander with a passion. I always felt like punching my screen because of him. Something tells me that he is going to be very annoying in Civ 6 too.

I also bet he is going to be one of the "Terrible Starting Neighbors" Civs too. Scythia, Sumeria, and now Alexander. All those multiplayer guys cannot ban every new civ. At some point there will be enough strong civs to go around. I suspect when they finally bring Shaka Zulu back, he will join that group as well.

At some point Firaxis is going to have to circle back and adjust a few civs like England, Egypt, Japan, etc. otherwise that will be alot of Civ 5 Indonesia's for a single Civ game that are not good enough for competitive play.

I am wondering how would Macedon and Greece fit in a TSL Earth map standard size.

Alexander´s capital could be Babylon. The place is still empty;)

Firaxis already set the bad precedent with England/USA/Australia, so there's no point in complaining about Macedon. I'm happy for Macedon, and I have no problems with 3 Greek leaders in 2 Civs. Don't forget that Byzantium might come later, so make that 3 Greek civs and 4 Greek leaders. =P

And that is not enough for their weight and diversity as Civilization.

It must be intentionally;) Alexander has from the begin of his rule and later campaign massive problems with the loyalty in his domain. He was very bloodthirsty and killed a lot of renegades.

What I do not understand is the last sentence in video:

"How will you lead Macedon in Sid Meier´s Civilization VI?"

I guess, there is only one way for playing Alexander in Civ 6. As AI opponent is his play-style welcome. To play him by my self one game and the scenario will be enough.

Alexander was the most annoying leader in Civ 5 for me. Marbozir and others hate Trollface the most, but I hated Alexander with a passion. I always felt like punching my screen because of him. Something tells me that he is going to be very annoying in Civ 6 too.
Alexander, Napoleon, Shaka, Attila, and Monty were all equally evil in Civ5; I hated starting near any of them. Alexander and Napoleon were raging expansionists who then got huffy if you tried expanding yourself; Shaka and Attila declared war for no apparent reason every few hundred years; and Monty was like Shaka and Attila only less so.

What I do not understand is the last sentence in video:

"How will you lead Macedon in Sid Meier´s Civilization VI?"

I guess, there is only one way for playing Alexander in Civ 6.
Yeah, if you're playing as Alexander and not conquering everything that moves, you're doing it wrong...Not my style of civilization, that's for sure.

Most armies would have stopped long before he did though.

The great thing about playing against a conquest-dependent civ is that they are the ultimate snowballers. If you can shut down his first assault, he's never going to be able to get back up on his feet, and you can eliminate them later at your leisure.

I agree except, I can see him becoming a real nuisance like India is right now. If you don't remove him from the game it might end up being a mistake. You would have to cripple him pretty hard. I think anything less than taking his capital and his second city would not be good enough.

Top Bottom