[R&F] First Look: Robert the Bruce | Scotland

I just realized, Buenos Aires and Zanzibar are going to be must-have suzerainties for Scotland. Unless they have been changed.
Toronto as well.

I would love to try the MOAR Mods, but I play on a Mac and so have to carefully pick what Mods I try - MOAR and several others just do not work on my Mac.

I play on mac and all my mods work so that might not be the problem. I find using mods is actually easier to put on my mac then on my old PC. I use MOAR units, take your time civics and science X3 (slows the trees down but not city production), better aqueduct/ water tiles and historical religions. I would strongly recommend them all if you can get them to run. I share your frustration on the start location 10 times is lucky! The amount of time I've spent restarting maps is almost as long as I've played the game!

To return to the purpose of this Thread, that actually is a Plus for Scotland: Golf Courses, it appears, can be built on a variety of terrain types, and they come along relatively late in the game so it should not be too difficult to get a viable Start Position. - As long as it's not the Gobi Desert, because it appears that in the Civ VI version, Sand Traps are incompatible with Golf Courses.

Yes sorry back to topic I think that because golf courses are all over the world used by every civilisation they would make a great general tile improvement that every civ could build. I don't think it should be a uniquely Scottish improvement just because they invented the game. The tile improvement should be something that is only found in the country of origin. That is why I would have preferred a Celtic style castle built on lakes (only found in Scotland) to a golf course (built in nearly every country in the world).

I've seen a lot of comparisons but does anyone else think that Robert looks a lot like Harald? With Tomyris and Tamar looking very similar as well I think there might be a lot of design re-use going on. Does anyone like the clothes idea though? Leaders changing fashion and dialogue for each era?

Last edited:
Yes sorry back to topic I think that because golf courses are all over the world used by every civilisation they would make a great general tile improvement that every civ could build. I don't think it should be a uniquely Scottish improvement just because they invented the game. The tile improvement should be something that is only found in the country of origin. That is why I would have preferred a Celtic style castle built on lakes (only found in Scotland) to a golf course (built in nearly every country in the world).

I've seen a lot of comparisons but does anyone else think that Robert looks a lot like Harald? With Tomyris and Tamar looking very similar as well I think there might be a lot of design re-use going on.
I don't mind the fact that Scotland has the golf course. It still wouldn't have been my first choice if I was designing the Civ. I would have gone for a broch instead. That being said I also didn't realize that golf was invented in Scotland, before this reveal. So it's not as jarring as my first impression. At least the club house in the middle looks Scottish in design.
I think he and Pedro have the same nose and face overall. Here's hoping Shaka doesn't look like Gandhi. :eek:

I don't mind the fact that Scotland has the golf course. It still wouldn't have been my first choice if I was designing the Civ. I would have gone for a broch instead. That being said I also didn't realize that golf was invented in Scotland, before this reveal. So it's not as jarring as my first impression. At least the club house in the middle looks Scottish in design.
I think he and Pedro have the same nose and face overall. Here's hoping Shaka doesn't look like Gandhi. :eek:

I just ate lunch. The mental picture was nauseating. Please don’t do that! :nono:

I was a bit annoyed with Scotland as a civ until I realised that I conquered Europe so many times in TW Med 2 with them that I really couldn't question the decision to add them.

They were a really cool faction, weren't they? Fun bit of alternate universe roleplay.

I play on mac and all my mods work so that might not be the problem. I find using mods is actually easier to put on my mac then on my old PC. I use MOAR units, take your time civics and science X3 (slows the trees down but not city production), better aqueduct/ water tiles and historical religions. I would strongly recommend them all if you can get them to run. I share your frustration on the start location 10 times is lucky! The amount of time I've spent restarting maps is almost as long as I've played the game!

The problem is certainly not in the Mods, it's the fact that technically, my Mac (6 years old) only marginally meets the minimum requirements for Cv VI, so I have to be especially careful of any Mod that adds any graphical complexity - the poor old machine starts to have spasms. Unfortunately, it is perfectly capable of handling all my 'real' work (I write military history and keep a large military data base on the Mac) so I can't really justify (yet!) buying a new computer 'just' for gaming..

I agree that the Golf Course is a more universal improvement than civ-specific. It also seems that there is actually no limit to the number of golf courses you can have in a small area: where I grew up in central Pennsylvania there were 3 golf courses within a 5 mile radius of my home, and where I live now in Puget Sound there are at least 6 golf courses within 10 miles of where I sit!
Castles on lakes or beside rivers are actually pretty ubiquitous in Europe: I know of at least 4 just in the places I was stationed in Germany. On the other hand, a Clan Castle Improvement that provides Defensive Value in a Tile, a small amount (+1?) Culture which increases if the Castle is on a cliff overlooking the water (lake or ocean), And the Culture points are equaled by Tourism points starting in the Industrial Era, plus Great General points and/or Great Musician points (who d'ye think sponsored all them pipers?) - That would be peculiarly Scottish. Throw in a few rustled cattle grazing around the Castle, and you've nailed it.

And, of course, all the Culture and Tourism points would be doubled if you get Sir Walter Scott as a Great Writer - the man almost single-handedly invented the Romantic Highlands, which before him had been regarded even by the Scots as simply a windswept and desolate lair of cattle thieves...

I've seen a lot of comparisons but does anyone else think that Robert looks a lot like Harald? With Tomyris and Tamar looking very similar as well I think there might be a lot of design re-use going on. Does anyone like the clothes idea though? Leaders changing fashion and dialogue for each era?

At first glance I thought for sure they had just re-skinned Pedro for Robert. Nw I think all three are the same basic face with some hair and color switches.
"Gimme a red rinse, will you, I'm going out Bannockburning tonight."
Unfortunately for multiple leader animations, even simple costume changes, Animation seems to be the most expensive thing (in sheer hourly wages invested in artists) in the game - they certainly spent more money on it than they did on game design or testing - so anything that adds more animation will probably be resisted strenuously.

Castles on lakes or beside rivers are actually pretty ubiquitous in Europe: I know of at least 4 just in the places I was stationed in Germany. On the other hand, a Clan Castle Improvement that provides Defensive Value in a Tile, a small amount (+1?) Culture which increases if the Castle is on a cliff overlooking the water (lake or ocean), And the Culture points are equaled by Tourism points starting in the Industrial Era, plus Great General points and/or Great Musician points (who d'ye think sponsored all them pipers?) - That would be peculiarly Scottish. Throw in a few rustled cattle grazing around the Castle, and you've nailed it.

Yes exactly somewhere along those lines! Theres not much point in hoping for that now because the civ is designed already. Sometimes I wish Firaxis would give the fans more choice in what the majority of people want for future civ designs. There must be a subtle way of doing it without revealing who the civ is before release. I know someone will say ''er these forums?'' but maybe something more than that. An online questionnaire for numerous potential civs or something. At present it seems Firaxis just do what they want without listening to the fans as much as they should be doing but we just love these games so much we just automatically buy the next release.

Unfortunately for multiple leader animations, even simple costume changes, Animation seems to be the most expensive thing (in sheer hourly wages invested in artists) in the game - they certainly spent more money on it than they did on game design or testing - so anything that adds more animation will probably be resisted strenuously.

It's a shame if it is a case of cost over value to prevent us from getting re skinned leaders. I'd have no problem with the animations being the same it just seems silly having leaders wearing togas and medieval armour in information era. For Civ 5 every civ got 2 songs, a war song and a peace song. In Civ 6 they decided to give every civ 4 songs accompanied by a ton of ambient tracks, so they got about 10 rather than 2 in the end. I'm sure that bringing in a live orchestra and musicians from around the world wasn't cheap, but they took that risk, the payoff was big and I can remember it being one of the main selling points of the game. Civ in such a lucrative game franchise that developers should always go the extra mile to make the best game they can at the time.

I don't think I have anything more to say on Scotland now and have gone on to talk about other stuff so I'm going to leave this thread alone for a bit. Looking forward to discussing the next two releases in a couple of days I guess.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if Golf Courses could be built in Snow.

Don't know about Built in snow, but I know it can be and is Played in snow: as a teen I caddied at a Country Club that opened early enough in the spring that there was still frequently snow on the ground - it's why they make golf balls in shades of bright red and orange.

Also, as I remember, an astronaut took a golf ball and club to the moon and tried a shot, so there can't be too many places on earth where someone won't try to play!

When I lived in the Northwest Territories in Canada, they had avid golfers up there, I recall. They even had an annual golf tournament called the Midnight Sun Golf Classic in Yellowknife (62 degrees North) that started at midnight on June 21st.

There are a few golf courses in the NWT and one even on the tundra. 70 degrees North. Ha ha!

NWT golf courses
Northwest Territories has eight golf courses and driving ranges. The 18-hole course in Yellowknife is the oldest and busiest, with sand and gravel fairways and Astroturf greens. Fort Smith, Hay River, Gameti (formerly Rae Lakes) and Fort Simpson have nine-hole golf courses.

The nine-hole tundra course in Ulukhaktok (also called Holman), on Victoria Island in the high Arctic, is the most northern golf course in Canada. Hazards include meandering wildlife and ravens that steal golf balls, thinking that they are eggs.

http://www.krolltravel.com/stories/Cruise_Norweta.htm

Spoiler World's most northern 9 hole golf course :

Last edited:
Scotland could have bonuses related to curling as well.

Curling was actually invented in Scotland, unlike golf (which may have Chinese origins).

In fact, Scotland the Brave is often played before major curling matches.

Ailsa Craig is a beautiful island best known for the specific type of granite used for curling stones. I even proposed it as a natural wonder.

It would be interesting that golf courses could not be built on desert, snow, or tundra, while curling rinks can be built by Scotland on flat snow or flat tundra instead.

Did the proposal ever make it into the final version?
Unfortunately not.

I proposed it here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/posts/15011310/

Curling is the second most popular winter team sport in Canada after ice hockey and curling is extremely popular here.

When the Scots emigrated to Canada, they thought that curling would be excellent for long Canadian winters, which is why curling has the largest following in Canada.

Curling was actually invented in Scotland, unlike golf (which may have Chinese origins).
No, golf was invented when Bandobras Took knocked the head off the goblin king and it went down a rabbit hole at the Battle of Greenfields, TA 2747. :p

No, golf was invented when Bandobras Took knocked the head off the goblin king and it went down a rabbit hole at the Battle of Greenfields, TA 2747. :p

Are you sure about that? I thought it was when Robert "I got no handicap' the Bruce used the original Mashing Niblic on an English knight at Bannockburn...

Are you sure about that? I thought it was when Robert "I got no handicap' the Bruce used the original Mashing Niblic on an English knight at Bannockburn...
If I understand the math correctly, the Hobbits beat him by millennia. :p

Finally watched the vid.

No brainer, playing as tB first game... just to hear the pipes while my troops are marching out to kick Saladin in the unmentionable whatsits.

And I shall wag my fingers jauntily as they do so.

Top Bottom