• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[LP] Leader Pass Pack 3: Rulers of China Leaked Abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, Black Queen Catherine must be pretty jealous of those classical era spies...

Also, watch the actual abilities be different like how they were with the Great Negotiators lol (that's what I'm kind of hoping, since these have eh to no synergy)

Man, Black Queen Catherine must be pretty jealous of those classical era spies...

Also, watch the actual abilities be different like how they were with the Great Negotiators lol (that's what I'm kind of hoping, since these have eh to no synergy)
It wouldn’t be the first time a newer Civ/leader came in with a similar theme but obliterated what came before it 😂 (Hi EthiOPia!)

Someone made a post on Reddit of the other abilities, here is the full post

“Rulers of China Abilities leaked

civ twitter accidentally leaked the first look video(it's now deleted) and a chinese streamer downloaded it and posted it on bilibili(it's now deleted too). Now Firaxis has granted streamers in china the permission to show the leader abilities so i think its ok to share it with you guys.

Yongle

Lijia: a project that can convert 50% of a cities production into faith or food or 100% production into gold. Each citizen in cities with 10 or more population provide 1 science, 1 culture and 2 gold.

Wu Zetian

Manual of Entrapment: Spies operate one level higher and gains extra science and culture for every successful offensive mission. Recieves a free spy after researching defensive tactics.

UniQin

36 stratagies: Grant all melee units the convert babarian action. (expend a melee unit and convert all babarian units within one tile)”
Yongle: not a lot to say, I like it. I'll want to push for very tall cities. You'll probably want to spam farms way more than other leaders, for the food and housing, which in his case end up translating into extra science, culture and gold.

Wu Zetian: Why extra science and culture from successful missions when a free eureka or inspiration would match better with the Civ's ability? I hope that's the intention. I think I'll enjoy playing with her.

Qin: Meh. Very high potential for this to turn into a "blank" leader if you can't get the right circumstances. I find it pretty underwhelming when compared with original Qin.

Edit: So Qin expends a whole melee unit to gain barbarian units. Ruthless. Don't bother making veterans.
Just keep a bunch of useless converted barbarian warriors for a rainy day.

Yongle's ability is so damn powerful if you think about.

On a standard, each citizen provides 0.5 science, so at 10 population, a city will suddenly make 1.5 science per pop.
I don't think it stacks? I read it like it provides a flat 1 rather than the usual figure.

However, looking at Nader Shah, I wouldn't be surprised if it grants plus 1 even if they intended it to be a flat 1.

Last edited:
You know what would have been fun?

Qin the Unifier: Conquering an enemy capital let's you build that Civ's unique unit and unique infrastructure.

There's a mod that introduces this as a game mode, so it's possible.

I definitely would have been hyped for that. (sure it's VERY powerful, so what?)
---

Edit: or maybe gain a City-State ability by conquering it.

Yongle

Lijia: a project that can convert 50% of a cities production into faith or food or 100% production into gold. Each citizen in cities with 10 or more population provide 1 science, 1 culture and 2 gold.
Not at all what I expected, but a pleasant surprise. Seems like you would want to run the food project a lot to reach 10 pop faster.
Wu Zetian

Manual of Entrapment: Spies operate one level higher and gains extra science and culture for every successful offensive mission. Recieves a free spy after researching defensive tactics.
Poor Black Queen Catherine. She just got Wu Zetian'd. There's a new Spy Queen in Civ.
UniQin

36 stratagies: Grant all melee units the convert babarian action. (expend a melee unit and convert all babarian units within one tile)”
It's pretty basic. I wish there was more going on. Seems underwhelming compared to every other Chinese leader. I expect he'll have the Barb Ally agenda.

So far I'm liking all 3 of these leaders.

Yongle: possible fast pantheon would be quite nice. Love the bonus to 10 pop cities, since I love playing pretty tall to begin with. Seems the play is to work food for a while and change over to faith afterwards. Good synergy with Grandmasters Chapel for a powerful faith bought army. Running the gold project seems like a waste since production is already worth 4 gold.

Wu: nice to get free culture and science but I love the idea of getting spies in the classical age. Stealing eurekas seems to be where it's at.

Uniqin: definitely going to cheese this one with Babylon in the game and Barbarian clans on. Seems to be a better way to farm barb camps than what Julius Caesar does.

Edit: I just saw the screenshot for Yongle. Apparently it starts at 1000 production! Capital with 4 production takes 250 turns lol. So much for fast pantheon. I also wonder if the project itself will be that good considering it's so expensive.

Probably going to play as Wu today. Espionage is always fun to do.

Last edited:
If these are true, at the very least they are a very unique way of playing.

Yongle: a lot will depend on the exact wording and gameplay impacts. Like, does a size 10 city receive 15 science from population, or is that +1 per pop only for population above 10 (ie only citizen 11 gives the full +1 extra)? Or is that +1 instead of the base bonus from pop? Initially I was wondering if you could try a non-district game just having super large cities. I think you could, but it still takes a while for that extra science/culture to surpass what you get out of libraries and such. But for sure they're a civ you're going to want to grow their cities big.

Wu: Spies can be fun. Just kind of seems like another Catherine. Not a bad thing. I guess she gets extra stuff from missions rather than Catherine's visibility. And spies just act better rather than getting an actual free promotion.

Qin: Definitely could be a way to spiral if you can lure a barb camp properly. If you get lucky with a few barb camps spotting you early, you could really get a fun early rush going. Find the sweet spot to spam slingers early to use as barbarian lures all game.

Not at all what I expected, but a pleasant surprise. Seems like you would want to run the food project a lot to reach 10 pop faster.

Poor Black Queen Catherine. She just got Wu Zetian'd. There's a new Spy Queen in Civ.

It's pretty basic. I wish there was more going on. Seems underwhelming compared to every other Chinese leader. I expect he'll have the Barb Ally agenda.

My poor Catherine 😭

I guess I will wait here patiently and patiently for a Catherine buff.... 👉👈

My poor Catherine 😭

I guess I will wait here patiently and patiently for a Catherine buff.... 👉👈
It's already called Magnificence Catherine. :)

It's already called Magnificence Catherine. :)
I did just win a game with MCathy absurdly quickly after a lucky discovery of a turtle coastline!

I think the +3 combat bonus of BCathy is still pretty decent but it does look like Wu does the spy game way better (or at least way earlier).

Honestly I’d welcome some buffs to the overall Civ :). Bump the bonus production from 20% to 50%, have the chateau be one per city and provide a tourism modifier for that city and maybe give BCathy spies a flying squadron specific mission :). Why not ask for the moon and the stars haha!

I did just win a game with MCathy absurdly quickly after a lucky discovery of a turtle coastline!

I think the +3 combat bonus of BCathy is still pretty decent but it does look like Wu does the spy game way better (or at least way earlier).

Honestly I’d welcome some buffs to the overall Civ :). Bump the bonus production from 20% to 50%, have the chateau be one per city and provide a tourism modifier for that city and maybe give BCathy spies a flying squadron specific mission :). Why not ask for the moon and the stars haha!

Or just give me Louis XIV or Napoléon already.

Here is hoping for a surprise Napoléon drop with the Leaders of China pack today!

Because that makes sense, right??? Right???

I'd assumed that Wu was going to be counterspying only to not directly compete with Catherine, but nope. :lol:

I've been saying for the longest to give her the ability to spy on allies, to make her viable.

Or just give me Louis XIV or Napoléon already.

Here is hoping for a surprise Napoléon drop with the Leaders of China pack today!

Because that makes sense, right??? Right???
They would need to be pretty potent leader abilities! Cathy is the only reason France works at all imo, in both forms

I'd assumed that Wu was going to be counterspying only to not directly compete with Catherine, but nope. :lol:

I've been saying for the longest to give her the ability to spy on allies, to make her viable.
It certainly puts to bed any notion that Elizabeth might have been a spy queen. Here's hoping for pirate queen instead!

They would need to be pretty potent leader abilities! Cathy is the only reason France works at all imo, in both forms
Magnificence Catherine is how I would have portrayed Louis XIV, and the perfect way to play France, so I'm fine with not having him. Not too keen on having a militaristic take on France so I don't care about Napoleon either, especially when you can just take cities with Great Works with Eleanor easier. :)

It certainly puts to bed any notion that Elizabeth might have been a spy queen. Here's hoping for pirate queen instead!
I didn't expect Elizabeth to be one to be honest after that leaked audio.
Is it too much to ask for her to get naval raiders that can coastal raid in peacetime? :mischief:

Magnificence Catherine is how I would have portrayed Louis XIV, and the perfect way to play France, so I'm fine with not having him. Not too keen on having a militaristic take on France so I don't care about Napoleon either, especially when you can just take cities with Great Works with Eleanor easier. :)

I didn't expect Elizabeth to be one to be honest after that leaked audio.
Is it too much to ask for her to get naval raiders that can coastal raid in peacetime? :mischief:
I don't wish for Napoleon either. Mainly, because he backstabbed me too many times in Civ V and it also annoyed me that beautiful cultural and scientific France got relegated to a dom civ. Maybe I'd be okay with him now that we have a very cultural France? Maybe.

Elizabeth's intro mentions intrigues and naval power, so I was hoping for both.

Elizabeth's intro mentions intrigues and naval power, so I was hoping for both.
Well since Wu doesn't have any direct bonuses to counter spying, maybe Elizabeth could?
The only other thing I can think of is you can get more diplomatic visibility if you have naval units in another civs territory. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom