First Look: Scythia

This announcement came completely out of the blue! :lol: I'm surprised that they announced Scythia so soon!

Anyway, here's Tomyris:

Also, here's the symbol for Scythia:

I wonder what that symbol is... :think: It looks like a sideways seahorse! :lol:

As for play style, warmongers are not really my thing - I never played as the Mongols nor the Huns in Civilization V, and while Tomyris seems really strong, I am not moved to play as her either...
But I will love having her in my games! :) Specially if she's a good and honorable ally!

Spoiler :

Gold Scythian deer from about 700-500 B.C.

Edit: NINJA'D

the horse archer doesn't replace the horsemen because we can see Scythia using both in the video. Also the list seems to show basically every early game unit, so probably doesn't replace anything.

Also, more generally, the video said that the horse archers are resourceless, but that doesn't mean that horsemen are resourceless. So she probably will still have a horse start bias so that she can make horsemen.

now, more importantly, would be to ensure that the horse archers *count* as horses wrt spears; unlike civV.
Not sure why horse archers should be worse v spears...either from gameplay or realism

Well a pretty core component to riding horses is being able to domesticate them, which is similar in process to how you would for cows or sheep.

True, but the Eureka boost requires "Build a Pasture" for Horseback Riding, disregarding where this Pasture is build xD.

......I feel like she is too white in appearance......

so basically::: Scythian ethnicity is complicated. Mostly because what the Greeks called Scythians (or, you know, something close, I can't remember the exact term) were actually a bunch of various peoples spread out all through Central Asia. The ones to the far west mostly became Slavic peoples later on, but the ones to the east were pretty heavily influenced (ethnically and otherwise, at least probably) by SE Asian peoples, as well as other peoples of central Asia. Their ~ancestral home was sort of in Pakistan, I believe.

Tomyris was from a group that was from the east and probably had slightly darker skin than she's shown as having here, unfortunately. However, most ancient descriptions give Scythians fair hair and lighter skin. If you look it up, they'll probably be described as "Caucasoid," which is an utterly BS distinction with a not so nice history obvs (plus, has nothing to do with the skin color) but you can see why they made the choice they did. Was it a great one? no, it's not great at all, but they're clearly not going for ten thousand percent accuracy here (the person in me who delights in semantics cackles at the fact that they cite a story described by Herodotus in Tomyris' story- the Cyrus' death one- but according to Herodotus the people Tomyris led were separate from the Scythians entirely. It's not a clear cut thing, LOL.) it's probably more "conflicting and confusing historical sources because ancient history's kind of a mess" than outright whitewashing in the case of Monty.

Kind of a bummer, still. I'm with you there. Moreover, it does feel like there's always an "excuse" to lighten a leader, but rarely is the opposite road ever taken when there's ambiguity.

On the other hand I am delighted with her agenda. I'm not one for warring myself, but I am very much pleased at the idea of my typical pacifist civving being backed up by Tomyris should I get attacked. And despite the historical complexities, she looks kickass.

I love that story. Unfortunately at least according to Wikipedia there are competing accounts as to how Cyrus died and historians aren't sure which are true.

one word: Herodotus :lol: there's a lot of incredible things and information that can be gleaned therefrom, and it's a monument of literature in and of itself. However, the Histories aren't known for their.... accuracy? in anecdotes. Herodotus was ballsy, which I respect, and basically was the father of subjective history. He was writing a STORY. Selecting sources, unifying interpretations- they're all part of the study of history which of course makes any account inherently inaccurate. Herodotus was a bit more egregious about it, from a modern perspective, than most. But that's what makes him such a delightful- and difficult- read.

basically: I very much doubt that story is true, but it's amazing, so who cares? ;)

I love the art style...I think they captured the nomadic flavor brilliantly. The city art is great:

As well as the Kurgan (sp?) art

The Saka horse archers look pretty good too

The 2 for 1 early cavalry sounds really powerful and terrifying if you're on the other end of it. Sounds great for clearing out barbarians quickly and rapid expansion, and also for protecting you if you're able to be her ally early on.

I think it makes sense for unique units to not require resources so that you can really use them regardless of your starting location. If you don't like it, well, it's super easy to mod in :)

Attachments

• Saka horse archer.PNG
    Saka horse archer.PNG
    177.4 KB · Views: 1,508
  • Kurgan.PNG
    Kurgan.PNG
    465.3 KB · Views: 1,260
  • city.PNG
    city.PNG
    449.4 KB · Views: 1,152
True, but the Eureka boost requires "Build a Pasture" for Horseback Riding, disregarding where this Pasture is build xD.

"Hey, Joe. I have an idea."

"Yeah Frank?"

"You know those big animals we've been penning up and eating? The ones that keep kicking us and stomping people?"

"Yeah?"

"Let's sit on them! What you think?"

"Hmm. You go first."

I love the art style...I think they captured the nomadic flavor brilliantly. The city art is great:

As well as the Kurgan (sp?) art

The Saka horse archers look pretty good too

The 2 for 1 early cavalry sounds really powerful and terrifying if you're on the other end of it. Sounds great for clearing out barbarians quickly and rapid expansion, and also for protecting you if you're able to be her ally early on.

I think it makes sense for unique units to not require resources so that you can really use them regardless of your starting location. If you don't like it, well, it's super easy to mod in :)

the art is lovely and really distinct. If they pulled it off- and it'll be impossible to tell until in game- it'll be hopefully more successful than civ 5 at making each civ feel culturally unique.

I didn't expect to see her today at all! But I gotta say, I really love Tomyris' design. From a character design perspective I think she's my favorite leader yet. The abilities are cool too, I'm interested to see her played.

Hmm...

An Ancient/Classical civ woth aggressive bonuses, a light ranged cavalry UU, and double produces them with no Horses....

"You need to know that I'm a rider
Tonight we gonna set the streets on fire"

Imagine starting between Monty "Give luxuries or WAR" and Tomyris "Double Horse archers".

Heavy chariots are probably your best chance against horse archers in the early game.

There is only one rule in Civilization. You don't . . . ****** . . . with . . . Tomyris.

Moderator Action: Post edited to meet language rules without changing meaning. Please help us keep our forums family friendly.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

It should be fairly easy to impress Cleo when playing as Tomyris, so that seems like a natural alliance. I could see AI Tomyris hating AI Cleo (due to surprise DOW) who loves AI Tomyris (due to massive army) though.

The fan-fiction just writes itself! :lol:

Though you do bring a good point - Leader bonuses and agendas may trip other AIs in order to make these cool relationships. Some have noted Teddy and Victoria would be at odds with each other if they start in different continents (fitting!), and this is a second instance where natural rivalries are going to surge due to interactions between various of the games mechanics! :goodjob:

And there are probably more that haven't been brought up! :) I bet as soon as they announce a leader who hates everyone of a different religion, that leader is going to have A LOT of enemies! :lol: Tomyris and Cleopatra included!

I can confirm that Teddy (or at least his face) is noticeably slimmer. New Teddy on the left, old on the right IMO, it's much better this way. Hopefully they change up Qin as well.

I can confirm that Teddy (or at least his face) is noticeably slimmer. New Teddy on the right, old on the left. IMO, it's much better this way. Hopefully they change up Qin as well.

Uhm. This one on left is noticeably slimmer and the new one (I just checked Scythian video to be sure) ;)

And I really like the new one, now if somebody could completely revamp Qin Shi Huangdi...

Top Bottom