First Look: Spain

We're almost certainly getting Isabella of Castile and not of Portugal. The image used in the bingo sheet is the sixth result when searching "Isabella of Castile" so it's pretty much guaranteed to be a case of mistaken identity, especially given the alphabetical placement.

We're almost certainly getting Isabella of Castile and not of Portugal. The image used in the bingo sheet is the sixth result when searching "Isabella of Castile" so it's pretty much guaranteed to be a case of mistaken identity, especially given the alphabetical placement.

I hope so, because the idea of DLC "additional leader" containing very famous Isabella, with agenda/ability of exploration or personal union very different from Philip's flavour, seems to me much more sensible than DLC containing completely obscure character with almost the same flavour as Philip II :p If the latter is true I will assume Firaxis lost part of their collective sanity :p

I like him and his civ, but wasn't Philip II blond? I mean, it's not a big deal and he's hardly the first to be inaccurately portrayed, just mentioning it...

Not very light blond in most of the paintings though, so it would be easy to mistake him for having brown hair. However, you are right that his hair here is certainly too dark.

:p If the latter is true I will assume Firaxis lost part of their collective sanity :p

Gorgo already did that for me :p.

While that's a possibility, I think we should look at Monty, the pic they had was Monty II and yet we got Monty I (the obvious choice). I don't think it's far fetched to think they put the wrong isabella picture and were always thinking about adding Isabella of Castile.

Its possible but unlike Monty Isabella does have a crapton of portraits, so picking the one that DIDNT MATCH THE REST scares me.

I don't think Isabella of Portugal really qualifies as a "strong personality" though. Certainly not as memorable as Isabella of Castile (especially for those of us who remember her mannerisms from IV)!

Oh i agree and i definitely want Isabel de Castilla but we have to prepare for the worse

I like him and his civ, but wasn't Philip II blond? I mean, it's not a big deal and he's hardly the first to be inaccurately portrayed, just mentioning it...

Not very light blond in most of the paintings though, so it would be easy to mistake him for having brown hair. However, you are right that his hair here is certainly too dark.

I think I remember hearing this conversation before. :p What's with Firaxis and not wanting to depict brown/blond hair?

One thing people aren't mentioning is that it should be easier to found a religion in VI than in V, even on high difficulty levels, because getting an early holy site is an investment that puts you much further behind in other areas than it would before. Not every civ is going to get early faith generation, and because districts have such opportunity cost, it's not easy to just build a shrine on turn 6 anymore.

If your Spain builds an early holy site, and deity china builds an early campus, your spain is going to get a religion before china.

Do you think maybe Isabella of Castille was supposed to be in base game, but because they modeled it on the wrong Isabella and was called out during the leader leak incident, so they have to swap Philip II into Base game, leaving Isabella in DLC and they would have more time to fix the model?

Are we 100% sure that Isabella is coming? Yes, there was the (wrong) picture on the Civet Codex, but maybe they still hadn't chosen a Spanish leader yet? Maybe they had thought of the leader ability before picking a leader? In the case of Philip II, or Isabella that would make sense.

Do you think maybe Isabella of Castille was supposed to be in base game, but because they modeled it on the wrong Isabella and was called out during the leader leak incident, so they have to swap Philip II into Base game, leaving Isabella in DLC and they would have more time to fix the model?

The game is already adding a bunch of newcommers to the series, I think Phillip was designed to be the vanilla leader and Isabella (fan favorite) to come later either as part of the deluxe edition or DLC.

I can easily imagine a "Discover the New World" scenario, Maya and Inca, Isabella as new leader for Spain, maybe throw some new natural wonders for good measure.

For the most part the pics of the leader grid dont match their looks in the actual game (which means they do further research for references) so i doubt it. Jawdiga isnt in either so if it is Isabel of Castille, they'll probably come together in the "Badass European Saint Queens who wore the pants in their marriages" dlc

For the most part the pics of the leader grid dont match their looks in the actual game (which means they do further research for references) so i doubt it. Jawdiga isnt in either so if it is Isabel of Castille, they'll probably come together in the "Badass European Saint Queens who wore the pants in their marriages" dlc

Nice! I'd buy that. :goodjob:

So basically, on Pangea maps, where the continents borders can be between any two land tiles (and you know it), you are tempted to expand in the direction of the other "continent", so that your every trade route gets the spanish bonus?
Moreover, if you are lucky enough with your starting location, you could have cities on 3 or 4 "continents" only 4-5 tiles away, and thus profit from the bonus even more.
If so, the old "landmass" mechanics seems more reasonable.

A 'continent' doesn't have to be a landmass. One landmass can consist of multiple continents. Very confusing.

Here's a screenshot with different continents (based on info from mouse-overs):
Spoiler :

FF to about 4:07 ... http://www.bilibili.com/video/av5892793/

Some more continent stuff with lens.

Tamar confirmed?!

"Badass European Saint Queens who wore the pants in their marriages" dlc

Not necessarily true in either case. Definitely not in the case of Jadwiga. This doesn't necessarily matter as they can act as figureheads (as does Victoria, who was never a ruler).

Isabella was a co-ruler, and was certainly not the dominant ruled, as was pointed out in the run up to Civ V on this thread:

Iván de España;8924772 said:
Leader: Please, I want no more Isabel (or Isabella, that is Elisabeth in Italian, not in Spanish) because she was just Queen of Castilla and shared the power with his husband, Fernando (or Ferdinand), in this Kingdom while he ruled alone in the Crown of Aragón. :king:

And, Jadwiga was only 13 when she married Jogaila, so he certainly held the power in that marriage. As was pointed out by eMeM on this thread:

No, we respect her sacrifice for the country and she was undoubtely a remarkable person (she's a saint, literally), her young death was a nation wide tragedy.

The problem is that this sacrifice - marriage with much older Jogalia meant that she basically gave up any real power - and it was after two years of her rule... when she was 12.
Technically she and her husband were equal, as Poland became diarchy for a bit - but it didn't work that way, she was an advisor and a first lady for the real ruler, Władysław II Jagiełło.

Keep in mind that in 1387 she was 13 years old.

EDIT

No idea. But note that the main point of this paragraph was the union of Poland and Lithuania - it was indeed a turning point in our history, but was it really her accomplishment? She was a child, it was the nobility doing all the planning, negotiations etc. According to XV century chronicler Jan Długosz, when she learned that she won't marry Wilhelm Habsburg she tried to hack trough the door with a hatchet, although that might be him colouring things up a bit.

I think the grand duke of lithuania, Jogalia (later Władysław II Jagiełło) was much more involved in shaping this union, he was also the peron actually ruling after marrying Jadwiga, I think most of Jadwiga's achievements could be also credited to him, as they shared the throne, and he outlived her byover three decades, after her death beating the Teutonic Order in the largest battle of the medieval era and starting the Jagiellonian dynasty ruling Poland for the next 200 years, among other things.

Kudos to them if they actually call the DLC that. :D

Well if religion ends up as important in 6 as it was in 5 (that is to say, not at all) then I already see Spain as a garbage tier civ

Top Bottom