First Look: Sumeria

I see no frame of reference with Sumeria.It's like using Superman as the American nation ethos.A bit silly allround.He also looks ridiculous.

Late to the party. So... If I have 3 units within 5 tiles from his unit and his unit wins a battle. Which of my units get the XP? How is it determined? Or do all 3 get XP? If so, that's pretty damn powerful.

Late to the party. So... If I have 3 units within 5 tiles from his unit and his unit wins a battle. Which of my units get the XP? How is it determined? Or do all 3 get XP? If so, that's pretty damn powerful.

Didn't it say the closest one? I'd guess if you have equidistant units it's randomized rather than all within 5.

LH -Gilgamesh:
He looks how I imagine the King of Kings Cyrus the Great from persia.
I like his appearance.:goodjob:

UA - tribal village reward for barbarian outpost:
With the matching map (more tundra and snowscape) for a human player this would be the victory all alone. If the human player can farm all the rewards inclusive science and upgrades for units, this UA is the heaviest. I guess the AI will be plain and not as good.

I love the search for barbarian outposts:)It will make exactly my style of playing invincible.:woohoo: I have to try - immediately:D

UU - War Car: ggod idea, but did I see this correct - is the cart pulled by donkeys?
I am not so familiar with donkeys:crazyeye:

UB - Ziggurat:
He gets a substantial lead additional to this outstanding UA.

I guess in a game with Sumeria, Rome or/and the Scythians it will be very hard for later preferred Civs like France or USA to catch up with them (only in the case that one has survived).:bowdown:

The Barb Camp goody hut thing doesn't seem that powerful to me, but maybe we just haven't seen what goody huts give. What was always annoying about Civ V is how efficient the AI was about clearing barbarian camps better than you on higher difficulties. I know it gave me fits even in the community balance patch when AI would snatch barb camps from me.

I see no frame of reference with Sumeria.It's like using Superman as the American nation ethos.A bit silly allround.He also looks ridiculous.

Honestly for CivM (in 6987 AD) that might be reasonable... like having the German civ led by Hitler, King Arthur, and Alexander the Great

The Barb Camp goody hut thing doesn't seem that powerful to me, but maybe we just haven't seen what goody huts give. What was always annoying about Civ V is how efficient the AI was about clearing barbarian camps better than you on higher difficulties. I know it gave me fits even in the community balance patch when AI would snatch barb camps from me.

free units and the relics from goody huts seem pretty powerful! But he have to see how often you'll get them. Eureka/Inspirations are nice to have. I don't know what else we get there. If free pop is still a thing it is also great. Hopefully no random map reveal again.

If you want something special from turn 1 you can not go wrong with Sumeria:

You start with access both your unique unit and your unique improvement.
You should really go for barbarians because of your unique ability that turn them into tribal village rewards then conquered.

To your help you have the strongest ancient era unit in the game, the only ancient era unit that have more strength are hoplite (but only in some cases and they are worse against swords, comes later and are less mobile).
You can build that unit on turn 1, it have pretty much everything you could ask for both strength and mobility so it will destroy anything barbarians can have thus make their camps very easy to clear.

The ziggurat give both science and culture which should make Sumeria advanced in both trees but remember that ziggurat compete with farms and population do also provide both culture and science.

The other unique bonus will make it easy to keep good relations (no warmonger if you help allies). Allow an early strong military (50% less to control CS units) and encourage you to participate in wars with allies: (shared plunder and experience).

Are you aware that Gilgamesh's complete LUA has 3 parts?
1) He can declare war on anyone at war with one of his allies without any warmonger penalties.
2) When at war with a common foe, Sumeria and shares pillage rewards and combat xp gains with the closest allied unit within 5 tiles.
3) Gilgamesh can levy City-State military forces at 50% of cost.

What part do you think is missing? That seems like a pretty full LUA to me.

woah, I completely missed that. Sumeria is looking even stronger now, just as long as he doesn't piss off too many people with wars and such.

It's one of those things that scales with map size. On a huge map the Songhai are amazing.

I'm glad they opted not to do the Vultures again. "We based this UU off a stella with warriors and vultures" always rubbed me the wrong way.

woah, I completely missed that.

Yeah, Pete Murray tweeted the full LUA because the video only mentions one part. He mentioned that Sumeria's UA got rebalanced so it is possible that they started with just the LUA in the video but then Firaxis correctly deemed it too weak, so they added the other parts afterwards.

What I don't like is Gilgamesh's look. It scream a whole lot of things before I think of Sumerian. Sumerian art never depicts kings or gods as that physically powerful, they usually look like normal human beings. And the clothing and head gear also seems to be not Sumerian at all. There are not many Sumerian depictions of Gilgamesh (6 that I'm aware of) and none looks remotely like that (also: none is contemporary). Instead, it reminds of Assyrian depictions of Gods, Kings and Heroes. I know we had the accuracy discussion already with every leader. I haven't complained much so far, but this is like having Vercingetorix being the model for Louis XIV.

This. Also his tunic looks more like a Greek chiton with an Assyrian dye-job than a Sumerian tunic. I love the inclusion of Sumer, but I feel like this version of it could have used more research and less fantasy. :( The Sumerians didn't glorify warfare the way the Assyro-Babylonians did, being more obsessed with bureaucracy and rituals; I feel like this civ could have been much better designed had they actually done some research. :(

Yeah, Pete Murray tweeted the full LUA because the video only mentions one part. He mentioned that Sumeria's UA got rebalanced so it is possible that they started with just the LUA in the video but then Firaxis correctly deemed it too weak, so they added the other parts afterwards.

Definitely the 50% off city-state levies would help on Duel maps. Everything else he's got requires at least one ally and one enemy.

It's one of those things that scales with map size. On a huge map the Songhai are amazing.
I'm glad they opted not to do the Vultures again. "We based this UU off a stella with warriors and vultures" always rubbed me the wrong way.

If the goody huts bonuses are similar to Civ5 and the map has space, this brings Sumeria with upgrades from the Barb Camp modern units in medieval time. This will end the game very fast for Sumeria with an early victory.

Looking it over again, it seems like Sumer is constantly rewarded for fighting.

Fighting barbs? Get goody hut bonuses

Fighting other civs? Get bonus exp and pillage yields

Fighting early? Here's a unique unit for an early rush that out maneuvers literally everything by Sycthia.

Fighting late? You'll likely have been able to benefit from the bonus culture and science that's pushing you up the tech and civics trees more quickly. And if you have allies you can easily avoid warmonger penalties.

All those city states you're clearing barbs for? You can enlist them to aid you in battle for a much cheaper cost.

All in all, Sumer is about big bonuses. These are the kinds of guys who either must stay on your side or be ground into the dust on sight.

If the goody huts bonuses are similar to Civ5 and the map has space, this brings Sumeria with upgrades from the Barb Camp modern units in medieval time. This will end the game very fast for Sumeria with an early victory.

I doubt that unit upgrades are still a goody hut thing. If you can skip two eras that way, it would be too op. No one can kill the infantry in medieval times, it one shots everything else. But you get free contemporary units now as it seems.

I think the Leader UA is pretty weak--yes it has three components, but all three look pretty lousy. The UU and the UI both look to be top tier though. A really fast and powerful unit and a science bonus from the start of the game? This is going to be a strong civ even if the other parts aren't useful.

Top Bottom