Five take on the world revisited (5CCC - deity)

Antioch is junk city with to much overlap with our other cities. There is no question on the city to get rid of. In my 5CC games I am use to each city have 21 tiles, and some extra between cities. You really need maximum territory.

The attack plan has another key item - dyes. We really drew the short start for resources and luxuries. I won't argue with fixing the luxury situation.

Since I now have more free time and am a stickler for a challenge, could I humbly request to take Carlos' place? ;) :mischief:

lurker's comment:
You have both a lot of overlap and no coastal city. Given that the chances are good there is an island on the map, you will have problems going for conquest if you don't choose a coastal one. It might be worth considering moving both cities with overlap to choose a coastal one as well as the one near Utrecht removing overlap in the process (move antioch and gordium).

It would hurt you in the short term, but would probably be a win by game end.

I agree a coastal city would help to handle a future island. I don't think that is viable unless we can evict the Aztecs. I don't see how we can do enough damage to the dutch to get a coastal city from them.

350 BC (0): Behind but not over.... I like the taking of the dutch. Antioch is not long for this world so I swap to a settler. Will ready to attack once we get another AC and an few more archers. Research on Republic seems futile at this point but I decide to let it go for now. Well I bite the bullet and buy currency from Zulu for 80 gold and :eek: 20gpt. I figured at least markets may help our stagering economy and we arent going to be doing anything with the gold in the bank. Currency to China for Map Making and his 11 gold.

330 BC (1): Persepolis builds an archer and starts a spear to eventually cover the new town. OMG Sumerians starts Sistenes. No decide to pull the spear from Pasar and leave it as an archer.

310 BC (2): Ok now we have 4 AC will move on dutch next turn. Pasargadae builds a spear to move up to Persopolis. Pasargadae starts an archer. Arbela build an archer starts another.

290 aD (3): Persepolis builds an archer starts another. :lol: Aztecs start on Leos. Declare on the Dutch and Utrech is razed but it cost 2 vet AC vs 2 Spears. The Dyes are now ours. This is not going to be pretty. An archer grabs a dutch worker.

270 AD (4): We are the only ones not in the Middle ages. Can't buy construction. Resting the AC's and moving archers North.

250 AD (5): Kill 2 stray dutch units and spot a dutch sword in the area. Let the second AC heal up moving settler into position aggressively settling near the Dutch/soon to be Persian horses.

230 AD (6): Manage to kill 2 swords but we are already wounded. Build a couple new archers start more. Anitoch builds a settler starts a worker for now.

INBT: Kill 2 advancing swords but lose a wounded archer to a 3rd.

210 AB (7): We get a new AC and persepolis continues with archers. Aztecs can now build crusaders. Gordium starts a much needed courthouse. Kill a spear outside of Arbela but fail to kill an archer.

190 AD (8); Pasargadae builds an archer start a spear. Kill a lone spear. Have an AC and archer hang back to cover the Capital as a sword is approaching.

170 AD (9); See my first Dutch MDI that dies to an AC. The sword in the east is still coming. The archer continue out of Persepolis and Arebela. Fortify the somewhat wounded stack 2 tiles south of the horses but protected by rivers.

150 aD (10): Ugly! Lose a vet 4/5 AC to an attacking Sword. And our elite 3/5 spear to a MDI. Decide to disband Antioch and found Bactra where we stand. Hope it can hold. Rather than lose the city I call up the Dutch and discuss peace. We can get peace straight up. I think we should take it. I make the call and take the peace. I am sending the settler north to "Join" Bactra. With an MDI, and 3 swords in the area I figure keeping the city is more important than wasting more turns fighting. We need to rush the library as soon as we can.

Felt it was in our best interest to make the move on the Dutch when I did and get out while the gettin' was good. We are in tough shape still but at least now we have 2 lux and 5 "real" cities.

We can build markets to help our lagging economy. And in 10 more turns maybe we can buy our way out of Ancient times :p.

Hotrod

I can play possibly today (50% chance), definitely tomorrow, so I got it. Will need to read through the thread in detail to see where we're at :).

I can't argue with a second luxury. :D

I agree that the ability to build markets is a big plus. That is one of the 2 key things to improve our position. Now if we can get a better government...

seeing how hard the Dutch units fought I am glad I stepped out - I WOULD have bungled it!

We have been able to get ourselves 5 decent cities. We don't have horses and iron, but we DO have AC's. That's a big plus. Should our next target be Sumeria (to get iron/horses)? And when are we going on an offense again? In the prequel we decided to build infra until cavalry (sipahi there).

It's nice to be playing this variant again. Looks like we've got some consolidation to do.

As Hotrod said, we can't do much techwise until the Zulu deal expires. At this stage of the game I don't think falling behind in tech is an irreversible disaster. There's plenty of time to catch up, especially with all the AI wars, and as long as we stay less than an age behind we'll be fine. At the moment we can't be much more than half an age behind, so no need for panic yet.

Persepolis changes to market and moves off the gold hill to a grassland; max food is more important than commerce. Pasargadae and Arbela also change to markets. Arbela and Gordium configured to max shields at size 6. Moving off military production at this stage is something of a risk but we need markets right now more than anything else. If we get attacked we should hopefully have enough time to react.

Overall our cities look good. 4 of them are in excellent long-term positions. The dilemma is Gordium, because of its heavy overlap with Pasargadae and the need for a coastal city. For now I'll continue with infra in Gordium, markets and courthouses will pay for themselves anyway, and we don't know how long it'll be before we change the 5th city location. I do feel, however, that long-term Gordium will have to go for a coastal city perhaps somewhere near where Amsterdam is right now?

Resource-wise iron and horses and not too far outside our borders. Once we go on the warpath proper we should be able to clear those areas and found colonies. In the meantime, ancient cavalry are a blessing in this game.

Turn 1, 130BC: moving units back to cities to heal.

IT: Persepolis produces ancient cav.

Turn 2, 110BC: settler joins Bactra.

IT: Aztecs already have muskets running around. Sumeria starts Copernicus...

Turn 5, 50BC: up to a princely 6gpt :D

IT: Sumeria demands 22g. I seriously consider telling them to stuff it, but I decide not to let the AI have first strike over a measly 22g, so paid.

Turn 6, 30BC: trying to keep cities growing, little else to do.

IT: Sumeria and Japan make peace. Persepolis produces ancient cav.

Turn 7, 10BC: Consider increasing lux to 20%. Instead, decide to send only dyes to Aztecs for incense and wines. Lux stays at 10% and cities stay on max food.

IT: Persepolis market ----------> catapult.

Turn 8, 10AD: whip library in Bactra.

IT: Aztecs join the party and extort 22g.

Bactra library -----------> courthouse

Turn 9, 30AD: plodding away at micromanagement.

IT: Scandinavia and Aztecs make peace.

Persepolis catapult ----------> catapult

Turn 10, 50AD: we have our gold back and can trade. Japan is down to 2 cities, so purchase from them in hopes of getting out of deal early when they're eliminated. Construction purchased for 27gpt. We draw feudalism, which China lacks! Feudalism sold to China for republic, dyes, worker + 32g. I think we should revolt immediately and use taxmen to cover our payment to Japan (only 91g treasury), especially as Japan may not be around for much more than another 5 turns. Nevertheless, will leave that to the next player in case the team feels differently.

Persepolis changes to colosseum, Arbela and Gordium to aqueduct.

EDIT: ehm, can we afford anarchy?
If you run out of cash during anarchy you WON'T lose buildings. The payments simply continues. Once you out of anarchy you need to get back to positive cash flow.

We need the cash flow from Republic NOW - IMHO revolt.

Nice to hear we are slowly catching up on tech. It only takes one laggard to help us catch up.

Top Bottom