Fix-It List

I have civ4 gold and every time i start it up my computer resets. it gets to about the voice loading part in startup before it resets my computer. My screen's resolution is 1280 by 1024 with the color quality at 32 bit. my grafics card is NVidia GeForce MX 4000. None of the patches register my game. Can anyone offer me any assistance?

reset, as in the computer turns off then turns back on again. i suspect my grafics card to be the culprit but need a second opinion.

nope no sounds at all, it just resets. this wouldn't be the first time either, I tried to play rappels as well and the same thing happened, only the game would start up and then the computer would crash just before i could start playing. I have also noticed that some games have started puting notices in the grafics card requirements that say they wont work with my specific card. this one didn't say it but do you think it could be the same case?

you would get weird results trying to run the game with a card that does not meet the requirements - but no reboot. There are various possible reasons for that - an overheating video card or power supply would be my first guesses. But in any case it sounds like a malfunctioning hardware especially if it happens with other programs as well.

i guess i'll just get a new grafics card then, i was planning on doing so anyway so i could play supreme commander. Well thank you for your help. If you wish to know i'm planning on getting an NVidia GeForce 8600 for my new one. If you have any suggestions though i'm open to try them.

Hey, I've had CivIV for a while, just got around to this :)

Anyways, I've had numerous problems so far. When I first installed the game, the screen stayed black whenever I tried to start a game. However, I contacted Firaxis support and they sent me a patch via email, which worked fine. I installed the patch, and then uninstalled/reinstalled the game, and it ran smoothly.

Then I tried to play online. Long story short, it didn't work. The game froze up on me whenever I tried to sign into gamespot. I decided to give up on internet play and tried to play a normal game, but the game now did the black screen again whenever I tried to play.

So, I figured I'd try what I did before. I reinstalled the patch: no problems there. I couldn't find an "uninstall" feature on the game, so I went into the windows (XP, by the way) "Add/Remove Programs" app. When I try to remove the game, I get this error:

Error Code: -5009 : 0x8000ffff
Error Information:
>Kernel\CABFile.cpp (429)
>SetupNew\SetupDLL.cpp (1098)
PAPP:Sid Meier's Civilization 4
PVENDOR:Firaxis Games (##IDS_PRODUCT_URL##)
PGUID:CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8
$12.0.0.49974
@Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) IE 6.0.2900.2180

Don't know if anyone can interpret that :confused:

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Okay, I looked further back in the thread and uninstalled it using the instructions there. I reinstalled it, re-loaded the DXSETUP thing the support worker sent me, and installed the 1.74 patch. I loaded up the game, aaand... Black screen.

The thing is, I can get to the main menu and everything, and the game loads, but once it get's to the point where you press "Start Game" and the map should be showing in the background, it's all black. I can sometimes even see the interface with the mini-map and everything,, just not the actual play area. Does anyone know how to fix this? The DXSETUP thing the guy sent me worked last time, but it doesn't seem to be working anymore...

im running windows vista is there a solution to fix the compatibility issue so i can play civilization 4 on my computer.

i guess i'll just get a new grafics card then, i was planning on doing so anyway so i could play supreme commander. Well thank you for your help. If you wish to know i'm planning on getting an NVidia GeForce 8600 for my new one. If you have any suggestions though i'm open to try them.

Hah, I play Civ with a 4000MX. I don't have this problem though. You don't overclock your card, do you?

Hi all.

Just got Civ4, and having issues with installation.

Using Window's XP Home Ed with SP2

Realtek CV'97 Audio &
ATI Radeon 9250 (128MB)

Updated drivers for both, since some of you mentioned that it might be a sound issue.

Installation

The installation hangs when its trying to install mp3 files, more specifically, a file called brahms 3 2.mp3

This is the error message when installation didn't work;

Feature transfer error

Feature: DefaultFeature
Component: Civ4Component
File: D:\data2.cab
Error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device

(Note: Strange, what's wrong with my I/O device?)

The apparent "Installation" of the game.

The game is by then half-installed with the "play" icon there, and when I do try to run it,I get an XML load error (as many mentioned) that said;

Failed Loading XML file Assets//XML\GameInfo/CIV4PlayerOptionInfos.xml

&

LoadXML call failed for GameInfo/CIV4PlayerOptionInfos.xml.
Current XML file is:

Yeah.

I tried creating a new user account, didn't work.
I tried reinstalling again and again, and removing/uninstalling files as well.
I tried it on another computer, and the installation is also stuck at the mp3 files.

I took a look around in the XML posts, but I'm not in the right state of mind now to do anything overly technical, and I also so badly want to play this game.

Thanks to anyone with a solution. I heard you guys are one of the most friendliest game forums around.

thanks. but now I'm getting a missing DLL file error.

what dll is missing? did you install the DirectX thing I linked to as well?

Hi all.

Just got Civ4, and having issues with installation.

Using Window's XP Home Ed with SP2

Realtek CV'97 Audio &
ATI Radeon 9250 (128MB)

Updated drivers for both, since some of you mentioned that it might be a sound issue.

Installation

The installation hangs when its trying to install mp3 files, more specifically, a file called brahms 3 2.mp3

This is the error message when installation didn't work;

Feature transfer error

Feature: DefaultFeature
Component: Civ4Component
File: D:\data2.cab
Error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device

(Note: Strange, what's wrong with my I/O device?)

The apparent "Installation" of the game.

The game is by then half-installed with the "play" icon there, and when I do try to run it,I get an XML load error (as many mentioned) that said;

Failed Loading XML file Assets//XML\GameInfo/CIV4PlayerOptionInfos.xml

&

LoadXML call failed for GameInfo/CIV4PlayerOptionInfos.xml.
Current XML file is:

Yeah.

I tried creating a new user account, didn't work.
I tried reinstalling again and again, and removing/uninstalling files as well.
I tried it on another computer, and the installation is also stuck at the mp3 files.

I took a look around in the XML posts, but I'm not in the right state of mind now to do anything overly technical, and I also so badly want to play this game.

Thanks to anyone with a solution. I heard you guys are one of the most friendliest game forums around.
look here does this help?
the fact that it does the same on another computer though would tell me that the disc is damaged - have you tried copying the disc(s) to your harddrive and running the install from there?

Welcome to CFC :band:

what dll is missing? did you install the DirectX thing I linked to as well?QUOTE]

It works now, thanks (except 'the voice mode is disabled' but I can live without that.) The dll I think was dll32 or something. Thanks for your help. so far I think it's a cool game but slower than Civ3 (in terms of gameplay).

look here does this help?
the fact that it does the same on another computer though would tell me that the disc is damaged - have you tried copying the disc(s) to your harddrive and running the install from there?

Welcome to CFC :band:

Tried the link and followed the instructions. Didn't help.

I'm now trying to copy over the contents to my harddrive.

Thanks for all the help ori, I also suspect its a disc problem.

Now if you excuse me, there is someone i need to kill for passing me this cd.

Top Bottom