Fix-It List

Usually the only other program open is iTunes. Unlocker has been running, but it doesn't do anything, so I closed it. Windows Live Messenger also runs if I forget to sign out before closing the window. It only ever lasts forever when it's initiating the MP/Voice, never anything else. If it gets stuck on the Python or XML, that resolves itself in about two minutes. Last time I ran it, I had iTunes, Unlocker, Windows Live, and Google Chrome, so I guess that was too many background programs.

Not sure this is the right place to ask but I'll ask anyway...

How do you run this game on a Netbook without a CD/DVD drive... I own the game, 2 copies of CIV 4, 2 BTS, 1 WL and 1 CivCol (so I'm not trying to get a free game) but I have a Asus Netbook that I can access a CD/DVD drive over the home network while at home, but not on the road. Can you put the game on a flash drive and run it? (Haven't tried that yet) Will this work? I'd like to play the game on the road with the Netbook, but I don't want the added hassle of a external CD/DVD drive to pack around and keep up with. Is there a solution to this problem? I didn't even think about the drive issue when I bought this tiny netbook.

install the game, patch the game to 3.19 and that will allow you to play BtS without the disc - I *think* the same is true for the Colonization patch, for Civ4 and Warlords there is no way that does not involve paying for different versions (e.g. the US complete version gets rid of the disc check for all 4).

install the game, patch the game to 3.19 and that will allow you to play BtS without the disc - I *think* the same is true for the Colonization patch, for Civ4 and Warlords there is no way that does not involve paying for different versions (e.g. the US complete version gets rid of the disc check for all 4).

So the "Civilization 4 - The Complete Edition" doesn't have disc check? I've been playing Civ since the days of Civ II and III on PC and I just automatically "assumed" I had to have the disc in and never thought to try it without the disc... I have the stand alone games and expansions along with about a million mods in addition to the "The Complete Edition" set I was given a while back and have never used.

Guess I should have tried it without the disc... I didn't even bother installing it on the Netbook unless I knew I could actually use it. Thus my question.

Thanks I'll give it a go. (Always thought disc check was annoying anyway.)

Installed civ 4 game only and played a few times...got a voice disalbed message or the like but the game played fine....then on day i clicked on the get updatesand downloaded a patch was nearly done installing when i got an error message could no longer access game tried to uninstall through control panel got error message was stuck got mad and deleted file with civ 4 now can't reintall game still thinks its installed ..tried openning set up folder from cd get error message that game is installed.....waited to buy game till now when price dropped have had civ 3 for years...ugh what a pain:cry:

delete any of the below files that are still present - then restart the computer and try to reinstall
then patch to 1.61 and then to 1.74 (both patches are available in the downloads database here) then install this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&DisplayLang=en

Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
(note: application data is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files, also these directories in application data are sometimes removed by the uninstall routine)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}" (Civ4)
(note: InstallShield Installation Information is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files).

:confused::lol:
:confused::lol:
I'm retarted I couldn't find the stuff you listed but deleted username-documents-my games- civ 4 ...but i couldn't find the rest then i relized im running Vista not XP:blush:
Its still not loading what else do I need to do:please::please:
delete any of the below files that are still present - then restart the computer and try to reinstall
then patch to 1.61 and then to 1.74 (both patches are available in the downloads database here) then install this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&DisplayLang=en

Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
Delete "...\documents and settings\<username>\local settings\application data\my games\sid meier's civilization 4" manually
(note: application data is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files, also these directories in application data are sometimes removed by the uninstall routine)
Delete "...\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}" (Civ4)
(note: InstallShield Installation Information is a hidden directory so you need to configure windows explorer to show hidden files).

Tried to do the setup.exe run as admin that you had in another thread got this error The set up has detected that version 1.74.000 civ 4 is already installed.
This set-up installs an earlier version of civ 4 (1.61) you will have to uninstall the prvios version before installing this version.

These are the files i didnt find-remember I had an error donwloading a patch that wouldn't allow me to play the game or uninstall normally

I tried that while searching but they didn't come up ...not sure where to make them seen

Hello everyone! First off - I absolutely love this game! I bought the Game of the Year Edition last year, discovered this website and then tried to download some mods. After writing to another forum, I was told that the edition that I bought was unable to be modified.
My question is - if I buy Beyond the Sword, will I be able to use it?

just checking: you did in fact set windows to show hidden files?
what happens when you try to reinstall?
is this vista 32 bit or 64 bit?

Where do I set windows to show hidden files I did that in the search ...clicked a box to show hidden files
When I go to reinstall I get error message saying I have a later version installed
Running Vista 32 bit

Open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer), and go to the menu bar on the top of the window... (Arrrgh, I'm running Win 7 atm, and the menu is different... :mad:) ... I believe that the left most menu item is "File" on Vista. That's the one that you want.

Basically, click the menus until a dropdown gives you the option of "File and folder options". Click that one, and go to the view tab, look for the clickable button that says "Show hidden files and folders" and click it, then click apply. Close the window, and refresh the Explorer window (or close it and open it again.) Viola! there are your hidden files.

Top Bottom