Fixed borders mod for Rise of Mankind

For the civics, maybe the only ones that can affect it are power and government type. I think Democracy on in the government type should fix borders, and Senate, Parliament, and President in the power column. Just my opinion. I feel that those best define the "government" who defines the borders.

Sorry, I found another issue:
Make a privateer, go to a country, with which you are at peace and do not have open borders agreement. Claim land there.
Stay there and plunder as long as you like.
They cannot attack your privateer, because they would have to declare war on you.
Of course they have no idea to who the privateer belongs in that foreign sea near their coastline that just claimed the sea for country X. ;-)

Ending the joke back to serious: Hidden Nationality units should probably not be able to claim land.

:D
OK, it'll be fixed in next version (as you suggested - hidden nationality = no claiming).

Good job :goodjob:.

Are you working on a RoM 2.5 version of your modmod and if so do you have a timeframe when it's going to be ready?your mod is a great thx

As one of the architects of the new civics, I'd suggest these civics to allow the fixed borders.

Parliament
President
Liberal
Nationalist
Marxist
Planned
Corporatist
Regulated
Green

The rationale is that political borders were arguably created around the Enlightenment when nationalism and imperialism were strong. So basically, the border rules change when the civilization becomes a nation.

As one of the architects of the new civics, I'd suggest these civics to allow the fixed borders.

Parliament
President
Liberal
Nationalist
Marxist
Planned
Corporatist
Regulated
Green

The rationale is that political borders were arguably created around the Enlightenment when nationalism and imperialism were strong. So basically, the border rules change when the civilization becomes a nation.

I agree for the most of this. But I must add Communist, Fascist, Federal in govt type (fascist is a must and the other 2 follow closely). On the other hand, I think Liberal society should not do it. Everything else seems fine.

OK, so - there's the new 2.0b version, for RoM 2.5x. It's labeled 'b' because I haven't played it myself yet, I'm still using v1.0 and RoM 2.4. But it should be stable, AI auto play didn't show any problems in several games.

Wow, this looks really cool! I just finished a game where this would have been perfect; I was on the 23(28?) player standard Earth map as Inca, had all of South America and the CA and TX coast locked up, the Native Americans controlled the rest of North America... My one TX coastal city was getting culturally swamped by the Native American capital and a city in Florida. I ended up spending a ton on espionage to cause constant riots to keep my workable tiles, and eventually had to go to war and take the Florida city not because I wanted or needed it but for the culture, so I could work my tiles in TX. It would have been much easier (and more realistic) to be able to declare war, send my armies to the tiles I want and take them... Could've probably gotten the Natives to sign a peace treaty much quicker if I never took a city. That damn war ended up costing me the game; it gave England time to get its act together and fracture my budding religious victory.

The installation instructions for the 2.5 version are the same, right? Unzip to the Assets folder inside the RoM mod folder, rewrite existing files? I'm gonna try it out tonight, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I'm not able to download the version 2.0b

it says "you do not have permission to access this page"

help !!!!!

"This file is in the moderation queue"

Apparently - an admin must approve my file.... so wait a few minutes, hours...days...I don't know. It's not up to me :(

Ah ok, i will wait so :D

and i will give feedback ;)

Well, the main purpose of fixed borders mod is actually the opposite - allow countries to own lands independently of cities. This is an advantage for advanced nations, but of course - disadvantage for poor ones.

Same as above - land doesn't belong to a city if the land's owner is not the same as the city's owner.

Well, in the real world this may be true, but in CivIV this leads to a big problem: how do i feed the population of a city without any workable tiles?

In reality i would ship some food in, but in CivIV this is not possible. So the wish for realism colides with the games programming.

And declaring war on 3 other nations just to get some food for the city, well... ;)

Hello,

can you alter the mod in a way that you would have no cultural borders on the sea, but that cities can just take what they want from the sea ?

Please also explain briefly what have you modified to make your mod.

can you alter the mod in a way that you would have no cultural borders on the sea, but that cities can just take what they want from the sea ?

If this were implemented how could I determine to which city a tile belongs, if it is equally distant from 2 enemy cities?

Please also explain briefly what have you modified to make your mod.

1) I added a_lot_of_culture to all the tiles a player owns once he has the necessary civics. Culture spreading from the cities works the same, but amount of that culture can never exceed the one that fixed borders provide. Effectively, all the tiles you owned at the moment of becoming a nation (the moment you switched to specific civics) will become yours permanently.

2) Units have new order, which when executed simply adds a_lot_of_culture to the tile they are on and, if necessary, remove a_lot_of_culture from the current owner of the tile.

3) When capturing cities, I give the occupator all the tiles which are closest to this city and belong to the defeated nation (this is done only if the occupator has fixed borders). Giving of the tiles is done again by adding a_lot_of_culture in those tiles to the occupator and, if necessary, removing a_lot_of_culture from the defeated guy. The algorithm for this closeness determination is not so simple as it sounds, it takes care of the previous owners and real culture, plus a_lot_of_culture that can be added by previous occupations.

In the text above: a_lot_of_culture = 10000000.

I am playing RoM 2.52. When can my units claim enemy territory? Is it only after I get one of the fixed boarder civics? So far I have not been able to claim any territory this way. Also both times I have played with this mod I have had a CTD in the Renassiance Era.

When can my units claim enemy territory? Is it only after I get one of the fixed boarder civics?

Yes. But watch out for the version of this mod. 2.0b has a bug in GUI that shows different icon for this order (like a spy with a deadly mask), but the order still works normally. In ver 2.0b2 this is fixed; the icon looks like pillage and the descriptive text is corrected.

Also both times I have played with this mod I have had a CTD in the Renassiance Era.

Could you please post a save game or two, just prior to CTD? I'll try to fix it as soon as I find the problem, but so far I haven't got the CTD myself (and I played 10-15 games with ai autoplay).

Top Bottom