1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixed borders mod for Rise of Mankind

Discussion in 'RoM Modmods' started by dexy, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Cpt.JackSparrow

Cpt.JackSparrow Chieftain

Also got a CTD in Renaissance Era. Playing with RoM 2.52 without 50 Civ Addon.

Crash is 100% reproducable. Attached the Save for you. Just end the Turn and it will crash.

Attached Files:

2. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I reinstalled you mod but still don't get anything. I am assuming there is a conflict somewhere between the mod I am working on and yours. When I get mine working I will try yours again :)

3. dexy

dexy Warlord

I tried your save, but it normally ends the turn (and at least 10 next turns). I tried it with RoM 2.52 and RoM 2.5. In both cases I used the downloaded version of my mod (2.0), just to be sure.

- Do you use the 2.0 version of Fixed Borders? (the other one is for RoM 2.4)
    - Did you configure RoM in any other way (by editing .ini or XMLs)?
    - Did you add any other mods?

4. dexy

dexy Warlord

5. Cpt.JackSparrow

- yes, i use 2.0 of fixed borders
    - no, i did not
    - no, i did not

for the moment i play a game without fixed borders. so far no crash, but then i am not in the renaissance era yet.

it is strange that you not got the crash with my save. i tried a couple of times to end that turn, and got a CTD every time. but it seems that those CTD's are heavily system-related. some people get CTD's all over the place with the diferent versions of RoM and mod mod's, others don't.

My System:
    Core2 Dual E8500 @ 3,16 GHz
    ATI HD4870 1024 MB
    4 GB DDR2 RAM (1066)
    Windows XP Professional SP3

6. Baskedyt

Baskedyt Concerned citizen

Couldn't you just make it so, that you have to be on tile for a few rounds - say 5 or 10 - before it becomes yours?
    That way you slow down the rate the AI (and others) can claim lands, and you already have to wait some rounds in order to get full "fortify" bonus.

7. Cpt.JackSparrow

I'm now well beyond the point where my last game crashed. so far no CTD. i guess it was the fixed borders mod then...

well, it's not that important, but i think it is a nice mod which makes the game more realistic and interesting. looking forward to try the next version, if there will be one :)

8. Chiyochan

Chiyochan King

I'd rather have the whole game use it, and have it cost money for each little square, as the creator, do you think that would be easy to implement just by changing the XML?

9. dexy

dexy Warlord

This is still bugging me :wallbash:... Can you try on your system to load that save without my mod? (it should load, it's compatible with plain RoM). If you get the CTD again, at least I'll know it's not my mod.

10. dexy

dexy Warlord

I was thinking to do that myself, but the costs would be too high then, even if I charge only 1 gold per tile.

To compensate this, maybe I could lower city or civics expenses. Or the other idea is to charge 1 gold only for military occupied tiles, the culture ones are free (or let's say payed by city maintenance).

I'll think of this a little more when I start the new version.

And for your question - no, you can't do it in XML only :(. But I could expose the price that I'll use in SDK so you can modify it if you want.

11. Khadras

Khadras Chieftain

It will be ok if you set fractional number for cost pe tile (for example 0.1 gold per tile)?

12. Chiyochan

Chiyochan King

well bump, Big fat cross should be free, but i never liked the idea of continual expansion like that, it just never made any sense to me, and paying for borders does, it gives a reason to tool back the science slider instead of having it 100% all the time too, I think even 1 per tile is fair. may want to even increase the price for time scale

13. zerog117

zerog117 Chieftain

has any1 tried this mod with rom 2.6?

14. dexy

dexy Warlord

yes, in the next version there will be some costs for tiles definitely. just need to find the right value for the game to be balanced.

it'll not work as it is now. i'll probably make a new version soon, and it'll be for 2.6.

15. alireza1354

alireza1354 Emperor

Man... u guyz keep surprising me. What a good idea!

16. genine

genine Warlord

Looking forward to your 2.6 version
    Keep up the good work!!!!

17. Nerochev

Nerochev Chieftain

This would be great as a stand-alone mod, or a mod component.

18. rtt4a

rtt4a Prince

Dexy,
    are you going to update 2.62 version soon? Please do
    I think this is best idea ever! I have always hated cultural based borders in modern
    times..

19. Cruor

Cruor Chieftain

Awesome idea, and something ive wanted since the day Civ 4 came out. Another mod making Civ 4 what it should of been when it came out.

I know how to install RoM for example, just unzip to BTS mods, but I'm not sure how I install a mod for a mod, can someone tell me please? Do I just unzip it anywhere into Civ4/BTS/Mods/RoM? or somewhere else?

Also, can I install this and keep playing my current game or would I have to start a new one before installing?

20. damunzy

damunzy recovering former mod Retired Moderator

Add me as another person interested in this mod for 2.6...

I'd also be interested in the SDK src as I'd like to implement some ideas that you don't seem fond of- and even look into doing it for Vanilla BtS. :)