[FIXED] Razed cities count as occupied on reload

glaivemaster

Prince
So I'm really happy with this new feature that burning cities no longer produce unhappiness. It clearly proves what I've been telling people all along - those guys *want* to be burned. One small problem however:

When I reload a saved game (or this one at least) all the cities that I'm currently razing count as being occupied for the purposes of unhappiness. It's not a massive problem, becasue going into the city, then cancelling and re-razing will sort out the happiness, but obviously it's not convenient, or right.

I've only played this one game so far with the new patch, so can't confirm if it's just this game or all of them, but it has happened consistently throughout the game as I save and reload.

I've attached a save to show what I'm talking about - currently I'm razing Akkad (hey, they declared war on me) in the bottom left-ish part of the map. Mouse over happiness to see that I'm very unhappy (-14 I believe), then enter the city, stop razing (note how the happiness remains unchanged here), then start razing again and voila! 4 unhappiness

Hope that this doesn't catch anyone else unawares since I managed to lose a couple of units through the unhappiness penalty in my game before I picked up on it

Attachments

• Genghis Khan.Civ5Save
    683 KB · Views: 190
Weird, I had no idea they changed that, but you're right. Strange decision, really, you'd think all those people having their city torched around them would be MORE unhappy, not less.

I also found that it works the other way around too...

I captured a big city and couldn't handle the unhapiness of keeping it, so I chose to raze it, didn't get the unhapiness of this city as intended with the last patch, but a turn later I change my mind and figure I'll spend some gold to buy 2 coleseum and keep the city, so I go in, click stop razing, and still the unhapiness doesn't add up, click end the turn and still no sign of unhapiness on the next turn... so I then capture a few more cities and each time I chose to raze it and then on the same turn stop the razing, never got any unhapiness, until I load my save game the next day, then the unhapiness show up big time, I was -76 unhapiness and my city all stop growing and production slow down to a crawl.

I admit I took quite an advantage taking up all my continent using this bug, and after the loading and -76 unhapiness, I had to rush buy quite a few theater & coleseum and trade a few luxury to make up fot it...

Hello,

yes, I have the same problem: 13 :c5angry: unhappiness on conquering and razing Ankara, but 23 :c5angry: unhappiness after reload (see attached save file).

Thanks glaivemaster for mentioning the occupy/raze workaround :goodjob:.

Attachments

• End Turn 118.Civ5Save
    535.7 KB · Views: 191
So today I reloaded a save, where I have several cities in the process of being razed and I was a bit surprised to see my hapiness level at -35 when I cleared remembered it was in the green when I saved.

Turns out that I had to stop and then restart razing the cities again so that they don't contribute to the unhapiness level until they were fully razed. Just pressing next turn wouldn't fix it.

Small bug really but worth mentioning I think. I'm attaching a save if anyone wants to confirm it.

View attachment QuickSave.Civ5Save

Not sure how we should confirm this

I will try:
Load the attached save "Before conquest". Capture Ankara with the Horseman to its west. When the dialog appears, choose to raze the city. The total :c5happy: Happiness is now at -7 coming from 41 :c5happy: Happiness minus 48 :c5angry: Unhappiness. The latter comes from number of cities (16 :c5angry:) and total :c5citizen: Population (32 :c5angry:).

Then save and reload or load "After conquest". All of a sudden we have 58 :c5angry: Unhappiness! The additional 10 :c5angry: Unhappiness come from the number of :c5occupied: Occupied cities (5 :c5angry: Unhappiness) and from :c5citizen: Population in occupied cities (5.36 :c5angry: Unhappiness).

Stop the razing of Ankara and raze it again, as glaivemaster described. Now we are back at 48 :c5angry: Unhappiness.

I don't know which value is supposed to be correct (48 :c5angry: or 58 :c5angry:), but it should be consistent!

Attachments

• Before conquest.Civ5Save
    517.5 KB · Views: 201
  • After conquest.Civ5Save
    517.5 KB · Views: 248
Bug confirmed. I tested DST1348's save files and the behavior is exactly as described.

Moderator Action: Moved to the Confirmed Bugs forum.

And I'm running into this bug too now after loading where I stopped yesterday. Really odd because I haven't encountered it before in similar situations with the latest patch.

Playing large pangaea map, epic speed, king level, as Greece. I save the game periodically as I go. At around turn 290 or so I log out with my Happiness level in the +. When I log back in and reload the save my unhappiness is around -15 to -20. This is so frustrating. I had it happen before when I played Mongols, same settings. I would save the game with + happy. Upon reloading my happiness would be down in the - double digits. AAARGH. I actually reformatted my computer and did a fresh install of Windows and the game to solve this issue. Does anyone know whats going wrong? . Thanks inadvance.
Zekedog

I am posting 2 saves. When I saved the file at turn 302 my happiness was around 0. The save at turn 282 worked as intended.

Attachments

• Alexander_0302 AD-1410.Civ5Save
    943 KB · Views: 209
  • Alexander_0282 AD-1310.Civ5Save
    938 KB · Views: 172
Welcome to CFC :).
Is there any city razing going on in your game?

Or have you accepted some cities from a peace treaty and puppetted them?

These are bugs that I hope are fixed. Also, if you check your very negative happiness now after reloading, it may be correct.

.. neilkaz ..

Yes most every city I am taking is being razed. The thing is this. If I save the game and all my stats I should be able to reload at the save point and have everything unchanged.
Its very frustrating to be dominating the most powerful opponent on the board, take a lunch break, and come back only to have to stop the blitzkrieg for several turns to bring happiness back to acceptable levels.

Cities being razed will count for unhappiness in the new patch so this won't have to be fixed. To get back to normal levels for this patch, just go to the city screen, stop razing and re-raze

Haha, you are vanquished :goodjob:

These bugs are just too many...they are winning....:/

The thread is listed under bug #164 in the bug list

:wallbash: searched for "razing" and "cities", not for "razed" or "city" :wallbash:.
-> Thank you :).
Moderator Action: Threads merged.

I just hope the thread is obsolete now, due to the new patch.

Top Bottom