Flavors of Civilization

Hi CivSURFER. I have not experienced any problems with AtomicGamer's server. I assume you're clicking one of the "Download from <Location>" links when you get the permission denied error? I get a popup window that tells me to wait N minutes before I'm able to click a download button. Are you downloading anything else from their server at the same time? Maybe they have a limit on the number of simultaneous downloads...

Ironman,
Thanks for your reply.The problem I think stems from the Internet filter installed on this computer. I get to the "download now" stage but after clicking on that it refuses me.I might have to download on another computer and save it on disc.This looks like a mod I've always wanted to do but lacked the time or ambition!

Did you try and download it all at the same time or did you try at different times?
I think too many people are trying to download from there...

Hey CivSURFER. Ah filters. Don't you love it when computers think they're smarter than you are? :) I apologize for any further difficulties you encounter. Hopefully the mod doesn't disappoint after all the effort you went through to get it! Come back in a few months and we'll have a new and improved version of the mod for you.

Also, I'll use this as opportunity to solicit for feedback on the mod. I've heard a few thoughts for improvement, but I'll certainly take any further constructive criticism you guys have. I'm of course most concerned with fixing bugs. Everyone's been largely silent on that front, which I'll take as a good thing :).

Hi Garland21,
Welcome to CivFanatics. While I respect that many of you are still in the vanilla Civ3 world, I think it's pretty unlikely that I'll ever produce a version of the mod for it. You're talking about a task that would consume an entire weekend. If I was to revise the mod, I would prefer to spend that time incorporating new units from Sandris, imperator, and Gary.

The better solution for those of you that want access to this mod is to go over to GamersGate and buy a copy of Civilization III Complete. It's cheap, it requires minimal effort, and you'll get access to much more than my flavors mod.

Hey Iron,
are you still around?Finally!, successfully downloaded your mod and gave it a go.I was
laid up with a bad back and it really helped to pass the time. I won as Scandinavia and
no bugs that I could tell.Enjoyed the changes and units.Are you still looking at an
update or have you given that idea up?I hope you do and thanks for your efforts.

Hey CivSURFER, yes I'm still around. Glad to hear that things finally worked for you and that you had a good game. In terms of updates to the mod, I have made a number of them but not all that I want :). Hopefully I'll make a big push and have a new version out by the end of the year. Thanks for the encouragement!

Is it possible to use this for Vanilla civ on a mac?

EDITNevermind, just saw the previous few posts. Shame.

Well a full year has gone by since I released Flavors of Civilization. Over 200 downloads have been completed, and I hope all of you have enjoyed the mod.

Many new units have been released by Sandris, imperator1961, and Gary Childress in the past year. I have done my best to incorporate their amazing work when appropriate. The result of that effort? Version 2.0 is now available! Go to page 1 of this thread or...

Flavors of Civilization 2.0 Download and Features
Flavors of Civilization 2.0 List of Changes
Flavors of Civilization 2.0 Screenshots

Version 2.0 Highlights:
  • Marla Singer world map version
  • New Horse Archer unit
  • 66 flavor units, for a total of 216!
    • 1 Middle Eastern unit
    • 2 Egyptian unit
    • 4 Persian units
    • 2 Turkish units
    • 5 Asian units
    • 5 Indian units
    • 1 Thai unit
    • 4 African units
    • 3 Carthaginian units
    • 2 English units
    • 3 Russian units
    • 4 Roman/Italian units
    • 4 Scandinavian units
    • 3 Dutch units
    • 3 Brazilian units
    • 3 Spanish units
    • 7 German units
    • 1 French unit
    • 9 Greek units
  • Revised unit lines
    • Egypt
    • Russia
    • Persia
    • England
    • Germany
  • Minor game balance tweaks

Happy holidays and enjoy!

Also, given that I keep getting requests for a Vanilla version of this mod, I am now soliciting for someone to partner with on that project. I'm looking for someone interested in building a Vanilla version of this mod. I would be able to provide files and support but would otherwise leave it to this individual to do the leg work. PM me if you're up to the challenge!

Only just discovered this mod, glad you posted 2.0 in the anouncemnet thread. Looks really good. I find original epic games boring but this seem like a very well thought out epic mod. But you haven't overdone it on the modding and keep true to the original game. Will test out as soon as I get home. Hopefully it can get me back into epic games.

Cheers

Nick

Hey Nick, thanks for checking things out. Hopefully the mod will succeed in dragging you back to the epic game. Yes, things are kept intentionally true to the original game. This mod originally started as house rules and custom flavors I'd added simply to make epic more fun for myself. I figure why not package it up and share with the community? You're the second person to call it "well thought out," :). When you work in the software business, you learn to document your work.

The irrigation graphics are from Pounder, wolf_brother. He has a thread on them over in the graphics forum. They were so beautiful that I couldn't resist including them, though I lamentably forgot to include Pounder in credits that come with the download. I've given him credit in this thread though, so hopefully that counts for something.

Hey awesome,how did I miss this?Must have been when I was stranded on that island with only a volleyball for company! Seriously though, good work Iron,can't wait to try this new version out.With a world map too! I've always enjoyed the epic game but my main beef was the similar units for the diverse civilizations but your little creation fixes that.Thanks for sharing your work.

Hey, I would really like to try out your mod, it looks great but I keep getting this error:

Missing entry in "text/Pedialcons.txt": Tech_Constitutional Monarchy
The game will now exit.

Can anyone help me out? Really want to try this thing out, looks great :)

Hi Lord of Elves,
Hmm, that's a new one. My pediaicons file has definitions for Constitutional Monarchy graphics. I've attached a fresh file for you in this post. The only thing special with Constitutional Monarchy is that it uses a pcx file from one of the scenarios. That shouldn't matter though; I include the pcx in the Flavor art directory.

If the pedia file doesn't do it, it's possible that you have an installation issue. If you need specific instructions on what to do, let me know.

Attachments

• PediaIcons.txt
    142.6 KB · Views: 130
In other news, I have discovered a bug. I hate bugs.

The Indian Pikeman required technology is Iron Working instead of Feudalism. You are welcome to fix this yourself (it's simple enough), but I have also uploaded a patch which you can download here.

If anyone finds any more problems, please let me know. I will reward you with a cookie :).

Hey awesome,how did I miss this?Must have been when I was stranded on that island with only a volleyball for company! Seriously though, good work Iron,can't wait to try this new version out.With a world map too! I've always enjoyed the epic game but my main beef was the similar units for the diverse civilizations but your little creation fixes that.Thanks for sharing your work.

Glad you stumbled back upon this thread! I hope the new version suits you well. The Marla map gets pretty slow as the game progresses, so be careful ;).

Top Bottom