FlavourMod 2

I see, thanx for pointing that out. sounds like a very nice addition indeed. btw, I edited my last post, check it out. I'd be glad to hear what you think about doviello starts :)

a couple things worth mentioning: this mod has its own DLL, right? it would be incredibly good if it included Kael's DLL that fixes the flames causing CTDs on Vista machines :)

it would be great to make a small change so that the Illians preference for cold climates is 'stronger' than the doviello, so that if only one suitable location is available, the illians are gonna get it and the doviello are moved to no-ice tundra/cold-ish plains. as it is now, I've seen the doviello start in ice, near letum frigus, and the illians starting in forested grasslands :D aside from this, the new version rocks. especially the guardian of pristinus and the forts guarding chokepoints :)

btw, the illian-doviello issue I'm referring to here is on huge maps with all FFH2 civs. so, lots of starting locations to choose from, it wasn't due to the map being too small or underpopulated ;)

- Add: towers will be placed at suitable vantage points
- Add: holdfasts (like forts) will be placed at suitable choke points

Excellent. In a game where they could effectively cut into supply lines I wouldn't mind them scattered around, but as things are it'll be good seeing them placed more effectively.

Hi, I was wondering if there's a way for your mod to check the map first, and *then* pick the random civs most suited for it. They developed, the others didn't... doesn't it make perfect sense?
If it was compatible with picking some of the civs and leaving the rest random, or asking for random civs of a precise alignment, it would be all the better.

Cheers,

Jules

[to_xp]Gekko;7217851 said:
this mod has its own DLL, right? it would be incredibly good if it included Kael's DLL that fixes the flames causing CTDs on Vista machines

Would be nice indeed, but Kael didn't post the source code of his modified dll. I suppose we will have to wait till 0.34 comes out.

Concerning the Doviello: You are right. I will tone down their preference for a cold climate a bit in comparison to the Illians in the next version.

Hi, I was wondering if there's a way for your mod to check the map first, and *then* pick the random civs most suited for it. They developed, the others didn't... doesn't it make perfect sense?

It makes sense and I could do this but I certainly wouldn't make it the default option. Aside from this and longer map loading times I want all civilizations having the same chance being in a game. An option like the one you proposed would lead to some civilizations being more common, because they are more adaptive to anything.

*bump* sorry, couldn't resist :D

it's great to know that my suggestion was actually useful :goodjob:

another minor one coming: what do you think about giving the dwarves a little preference for a start with pigs nearby to help with those cool boar riders? nothing that overrides their love for hills and commerce/production of course! that would be kinda nice :D
the same mechanic could apply to the ljolsafar and deer, so they still obviously start in deep forests, but if there happens to be a deep forest with deer nearby, they get it to help in building their unique unit that needs them ( fyrdwell IIRC )

same with the hippus and horses maybe? although they get horses from their palace already, since this is flavourmod I think it's flavoury that there's a higher chance than average of horses being in their lands. furthermore, this would mean that they have some spare horses to trade, and if there's some other race in Erebus that wants horses, well I guess the very first guys to try and get them from by trading would certainly be Tasunke and Rhoanna :D

btw, check out the "0.33 bug reports" thread. Sto has written down the fix for the flames on ice bug on vista machines there if you are interested, and it looks very simple :)

Ok, Gekko, I'll add most (maybe all) of your suggestions. If Kael should really decide to wait with the release of the Vista flame fix till 0.34 I'll include it in FlavourMod 2.1.1 for FfH 0.33g. Probably going to be the official Gekko release. ;)

Don't know if anybody is still playing Vanilla BtS, but if that's case you might want to take a look into my newest mod I released yesterday: "Culturally Linked Starts". It tries to assign start position similar to the distances between civilizations in the real world. Most of the time the result is quite nice. Still room for improvement, though.

dude, Gekko release? I'm flattered even though I know that's just a joke :p

and you gotta be careful with making statements like that, otherwise you might get me on a suggestion spree... :D for example I MIGHT mention that sometimes the Bannor seem to get too many desert starts due to their love for incense. maybe that's actually flavourful, but in case it's not I'd consider adding a minor preference for plains/grasslands ( not sure if incense can spawn on grasslands, but I'm sure I've seen it on plains ). that might make deserts too underpopulated though, so maybe it's not a good suggestion. still, worth mentioning I guess.

I no longer play vanilla these days, who needs it when you have FFH2? :D but in case I get nostalgic and wanna play I game with it, I will definitely try out your new mod. thanks for the kind words and for being open to suggestions, keep up the good work :goodjob:

It's very important for me to get feedback like yours. A mod like FlavourMod needs a lot of fine tuning. You don't wanna know how many times I had to start new games and check and evaluate the result after some parameter changes to come this far. The Bannor tend to get rather dry and hot starting locations because of their preference for incense but that's ok for me. Take a closer look ingame: Their skin color is quite dark, like burned by the sun.

it's good to know that feedback is useful :)

funny enough, I as well have started some games lately with huge maps and all FF civs just to open up worldbuilder and see what everyone got. and most of the time the vast majority of civs fits in really well with their surroundings. I only wish civ4 code would give out starting locations more wisely in the first place, cuz sometimes you see a civ with lots of space just for themselves and others that are very close to each other (usually leading to one of the two being estinguished far too soon, poor fellas :lol: ). or large patches of jungle without a starting location and then the lizards starting with just a little bit of jungle nearby cuz that's the only available start with jungle that the code generated. oh well, fireaxians are only human I guess :D

patch G is out and fixes the flame bug and the building-granting spells: yay! this probably means no more patches for a while which should be good for mod-modders :)

some more feedback:

Elohim should probably get some changes, especially considering the new unique features and the new Elohim mechanics in FF. I know this mod is both for FFH and FF, but FF is what I play so... :D

right now they seem to not care about what unique features they start near, and only care about the number: I tried a game with huge map, all FF civs, all unique features placed on the map ( I didn't handplace them, just editted the xml so that the map generator would place them all in random places ) , and I was Elohim. I started next to mount kashekk, pyre of the seraphic and bradeline's well . not very flavourful uh? :D

so they should probably "have a thing" only for unique features fitting to their theme, and heavily prefer sirona's features since she's the one they worship iirc.

on a more general note, I think that some/most "preferences" could benefit from an increase in "strenght" : sometimes it seems like civs start in a place that doesn't really fit them much, and then you look around and see what would be the "perfect spot" for them assigned to some other civ that doesn't really seem to be more fitting in than the other one. in this same game as elohim for example, I had the mazatl in the north, surrounded by forests with tomb of sucellus. my Elohim were in the middle of the jungle, and it would be much more flavourful if the lizards were there and my Elohim people would be near the tomb of sucellus imho. or I saw the Dural in a spot without any marble, but with grasslands forests and mana. and the Svartafar with lots of plains and marble, so those were another 2 that would fit perfectly if they were switched around. enough rambling, I know nothing about python but, by logic, it would seem to me that raising some preferences might be good. of course you know better, I'm just throwing in my 2 cents ;)

Mods\Fall Further 042\Assets\python\entrypoints\CvFlavourInterface.py

Change the priorities to whatever you want. Currently they are:

Code:
	pCivFlavourInfo = CivFlavourInfo("CIVILIZATION_ELOHIM")
	pCivFlavourInfo.addPreference("IMPROVEMENT_REMNANTS_OF_PATRIA", 4)
	pCivFlavourInfo.addPreference("IMPROVEMENT_STANDING_STONES", 1)
	pCivFlavourInfo.addPreference("IMPROVEMENT_TOMB_OF_SUCELLUS", 1)
	pCivFlavourInfo.addPreference("IMPROVEMENT_YGGDRASIL", 1)
	pCivFlavourInfo.addPreference("IMPROVEMENT_MIRROR_OF_HEAVEN", 4)
	pCivFlavourInfo.addPreference("IMPROVEMENT_DRAGON_BONES", 1)
	pCivFlavourInfo.addPreference("IMPROVEMENT_LETUM_FRIGUS", 1)
	pCivFlavourInfo.addPreference("IMPROVEMENT_MAELSTROM", 1)
	pCivFlavourInfo.addPreference("IMPROVEMENT_ODIOS_PRISON", 4)
	pCivFlavourInfo.addPreference("IMPROVEMENT_POOL_OF_TEARS", 8)
	pCivFlavourInfo.addPreference("IMPROVEMENT_PYRE_OF_THE_SERAPHIC", 1)
	pCivFlavourInfo.addPreference("IMPROVEMENT_GUARDIAN", 1)
	pCivFlavourInfo.addPreference("IMPROVEMENT_BEACON_OF_SIRONA", 8)
I am not positive, but I think higher numbers are higher priority, and negative numbers try to avoid that terrain type. So, you could comment out(#) items change priority, or add others. Also, check for other civs, to see if they have a preference for one of the features too.

thanx Elm, but I already know that ;) I was actually just trying to give Jean some feedback to make the mod better, not just to get him to edit it to my liking :D

:) So, did I get the priorities correct? The notes in the python say it is "rather self-explanatory". I haven't taken the time to go through the python to figure it out ;)

yep, those are correct. and you are right, negative values means they shun something and positive values means they love something. the higher the value, the stronger the love/shun is. of course I'm not totally sure about that, I don't know any python, but it does seem to be self-explanatory. so make it a 99% chance I'm right on this one :p

@Gekko and Elm: You've got it right. You see, it's self explanatory indeed. :)

For now I'll stay with the current Elohim preference values. There is no Shrine of Sirona in FfH anyway and the Elohim are rather protectors of all unique features. This includes even questionable uniques like Letum Frigus or the Pyre in my eyes.

I was thinking of an additional in-game option lately which would allow the player to chose, if he wants all uniques on the map or only a chance for each of them (like it is now). What do you think? Or would it be better to switch it on by default. FlavourMod demands a minimum distance between uniques anyway. If the map is too small to put all uniques on it, this mechanism should keep some of them from appearing. I suppose this was the only reason for Kael to restrain their appearance in the first place.

that's the very same thing I wrote in the FF thread like an hour ago. :D you'll notice that Vehem is thinking about adding that additional game option in FF. :) you should probably have a chat with him about that so that flavourmod and FF can work together EVEN better ;)

Top Bottom