1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Fleet and Armada Tweaks

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Sostratus, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Sostratus

Sostratus Chieftain

One very slick way that Firaxis has helped alleviate end game carpets of doom is through the Armies system. While I think it's a brilliant addition to the Civ universe, there's two things that really bug me:

1. A naval unit, fleet, or armada is always displayed as one boat. Likewise with their terrestrial counterparts.

My "simple" suggestion:

When combined into a fleet, the model should be two boats. An Armada would display three. It would be very obvious visually that there's some serious naval hardware floating your way.

(For land units, I would apply this same concept to apply to the tank, modern armor, and mechanized infantry.)

The downside, of course, is that we would need a whole bunch of new combat animations created for the melee units. Especially the boats; land units have animations for killing 1-4 infantry soldiers, but boats only ever attack one boat. Ranged units just sort of blast their targets anyways, so this isn't as big a deal.

2. Why do carrier fleets not have increased air unit capacity? A carrier fleet should hold 3 or 4 air units, while an armada should hold 4 or 6. (Depends on balance.) I just cannot understand why I should sink hammers into just getting more defense and not denser air unit capacity! It feels like an oversight.

2. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

Yeah there really is no good reason why these features weren't in from the start.

For a game that is determined to show things on the map, they dropped the ball when it came to Corps/Fleets/etc.

3. criZp

criZp Chieftain

4. TheSpaceCowboy

TheSpaceCowboy "Save a horse..."