Fleet and Armada Tweaks

Sostratus

Deity
One very slick way that Firaxis has helped alleviate end game carpets of doom is through the Armies system. While I think it's a brilliant addition to the Civ universe, there's two things that really bug me:

1. A naval unit, fleet, or armada is always displayed as one boat. Likewise with their terrestrial counterparts.

My "simple" suggestion:

When combined into a fleet, the model should be two boats. An Armada would display three. It would be very obvious visually that there's some serious naval hardware floating your way.

(For land units, I would apply this same concept to apply to the tank, modern armor, and mechanized infantry.)

The downside, of course, is that we would need a whole bunch of new combat animations created for the melee units. Especially the boats; land units have animations for killing 1-4 infantry soldiers, but boats only ever attack one boat. Ranged units just sort of blast their targets anyways, so this isn't as big a deal.

2. Why do carrier fleets not have increased air unit capacity? A carrier fleet should hold 3 or 4 air units, while an armada should hold 4 or 6. (Depends on balance.) I just cannot understand why I should sink hammers into just getting more defense and not denser air unit capacity! It feels like an oversight.

Yeah there really is no good reason why these features weren't in from the start.

For a game that is determined to show things on the map, they dropped the ball when it came to Corps/Fleets/etc.

Totally agree, let's bump it. Maybe the Dev's finally decide to do it with GS expansion. These small details make the game a lot better IMHO

That's because armies and armadas are just effectively single units - they behave just like single units except they are stronger, more expensive and have two or three star icons. They were a half-assed 'solution' to 1upt that, to me, wasn't satisfying at all. They need proper armies and fleets made up of their constituent parts.

Re: the graphics, the R. E. D mod added more unit graphics to give the impression that a unit wasn't just made up of a single thing, so it's not that far fetched.

Top Bottom