For Earth Map Modders... (Map Resource)

And that is why, having a "real earth map" as apposed to the random placement earth map that Civ5 will come with, is just a really really bad idea.

Yup, I'll just start as the Songhai, start expanding, maybe build a city or two...oh wait, I've already got more cities than 2/3 of the Civs ever will :lol:

Spoiler :

And that is why, having a "real earth map" as apposed to the random placement earth map that Civ5 will come with, is just a really really bad idea.

Theres nothing wrong with having a "real earth map" as long as certain things are done to balance it. If its a mod then you can change the City-States to be different ones and more spread out as well as enlarging europe to allow more space for each civ.

As far as making Europe larger than its supposed to be, there are really only 4 true civilizations from Europe. The Greco-Roman, Celts, Germans (Germanian Barbarians), and Huns. All European civilizations of today can trace their roots to one of these 4 groups.

It can even be argued that the Greco-Roman civilization sprung from ancient Egyptian colonists which would put it at only 3 true European civilizations. Then, even further, the Huns actually came in from Mongolia and were the fathers of the Russians and eastern Europeans and that would make it only 2 true European civilizations - the Celts and the Germanian tribes.

What should have been introduced in Civilization is the random event of splintering where a nation divides into 2 or more nations and they in turn become their own independent state(s). This is how America was formed, afterall.

Ah I see now. I suppose I am hoping that modding city-states is easy, Its really only a name, a logo, and 2 describers (i think). Because as it is, and I thank you and your map makin skeels for pointing this out, I feel there are WAY to many European ones. Here is a lil bit of how I would add or subtract.

-Id get rid of 22,25 and add in Jerusalem, cuz who honestly doesn't want to fight over that.

-Id get rid of: Almaty, Belgrade, Bucharest, Copenhagen, Edinburgh, Geneva, Genoa, Helsinki, Lhasa, Oslo, Ragusa,Sidon, Tyre, Venice, Vienna, Warsaw. Seriously most of these places just overcrowd Europe even MORE then the civs do and are not really cool places to deal with.

-Id add:Jerusalem, another Native American tribe or 2 one in the west one in central, for south america maybe Lima on the west, keep rio on the east and put in Buenos Aires at the southern tip. Over to Africa i would keep cape town, add madagascar, put Marrakech up at the north west tips inland of course, something on east africa like Djibouti (gotta love the name), probably toss in a mongolian city or something as well as kazakhstan for horsehockyz and giggles. Definitely would give the Ausies some love and mebe even New zealand.

I just feel like spreading them out over the entire map would add A LOT more then having them bunched up the way they are as of now.

Imagine starting as a Euro civ and having to compete in every way with all the other Euro civs while having to spend money to please countless city-states? Or the opposite, how easy it would be to play iroquois or US on the other side of the world and not have ANY to deal with and you can spend your gold and time how you please? I call that a serious imbalance IF they are all placed as they are now. Having them spread over a nice area where each civ is close to a couple/a few but not overwhelmed will help balance the world map just a bit.

Thats all just my opinion i could be way off.

That is a pretty good plan. Myself, I am going to concentrate on some more ancient ones. I would clear out most of the ones in Europe, but add a few for Greece to contend with (Troy, Sparta, Crete, Rhodes, Macedoniaand maybe Syracuse). I would add Jerusalem, and maybe a couple others in the Middle East/Asia Minor areas. I would probably add Carthage (at least until it is added as a Civ whether through DLC, Expansion or Mod), and probably an Ancient Spanish City State. Other areas I would have to research a bit, but I would definitely add a few more for the Americas.

There was actually a big thread a while back about "Missing City-States" where people posted their thoughts on what City-States they would add. I actually compiled a list in XLSX format and posted it there.

Siam's capital isn't Bangkok. It's Sukothai (from Greg's video)

Thanks for the info. It may be a while before I can update it. When I looked up Siam, it just led me to Thailand... and everybody knows the capital of Thailand... ;)

The world map will have to distort Europe to make it quite a bit larger than it actually is relative to the rest of the world in order to make it playable with all the civs and city-states.

However, having so many nearby city-states won't be a disadvantage in my view--if anything, it will be an advantage! European civs will be getting a lot of boosts from allied city states.

Yeah, with what they have (and with what I would like... see above) Europe would have to be much bigger.

Spoiler :

Yeah, but those of us who like everything in their proper place do so because we want to see what we can do given what was available (or as close to it as possible) throughout real history. To me, that is more playing into the "what if" idea than random placement.

It's spelt Edinburgh :mad:

Sorry about that... I fixed it. It was a typo and not just me being ignorant... I promise. :eek:

I'll make you guys a real earth scenario, as I'm sure many others will make too. I have a few tricks I use to make extremely accurate maps.

I'm looking forward to it! :D

Looking at this, they really need central african, Great Plaines, and Siberian city states/civs.

Examples:
Central Africa: Great Zimbabwae
Great Plains: (Eh... Little Big something Custards last stand something???:???:? Sorry)
Siberian: Khorsan Khanate, Crimean Khanate, Siberian Khanate, Novogorod, Kiev. They are influencial city states before russia took them over. (Novogorod and Kiev are debateable.)

Also, maybe you can set up puppet city states from conquered land? For example, I'm mongolia (not actually in the game) and I set up the Crimean Khanate city state of Azov so I can reduce my upkeep. Later, it turns Muslim (not in the game either) and helps the ottomans instead of me.

Also, I am not sure why I am giving a large suggestion post, but maybe they can have a Rhye's fall of Civ mod where City States can become civs that are hard coded. For example, Venice can take over Genoa and a fallen Rome and make the New Roman Empire/Italy. Or Vienna takes over Budapest and becomes the Austrian-Hungaran Empire. And other combination will be cool. And if a civ isn't a game, have that civ's cities as city states would also be cool. (An Ottomanless game with Istanbul city state or a Greekless game with Athens and Spartan city states?)

As far as I know, Kiev is not in Siberia (some other cities & khanates that you mentioned either) ;)

Nice map. Judging by the earth map in the streaming video and comments here I take it starting positions are randomized? I really hate that. Didn't civ3 do that? grrrrr

Siberia is tough to fill, I'm not sure what to do about that one. Africa should be easy enough to find suitable city states, same with South America. For North America I would suggest native american city states. Off the top of my head, I can't come up with any city names. You could represent the Sioux, Apache, Anasazi, Eskimos, Mayans etc.

Theres nothing wrong with having a "real earth map" as long as certain things are done to balance it. If its a mod then you can change the City-States to be different ones and more spread out as well as enlarging europe to allow more space for each civ.

Then it wouldn't be a "real earth map" it would be a "earth like map" in which case, wouldn't you rather have the "real earth" but with civ's randomly placed.

"I want everything to be like history tells"

Well thats all well and good, but Germany never existed at 4000BC, thus it would never be around to enter into conflict with any other European civ and you can't claim historical fact when some continents are barren or only have 1 civ on them when in reality their were many throughout history, take china for example, where's mongolia to stop them expanding and taking the whole of asia, no, if you can't have perfect historical accuracy then you may as well get some good gameplay by having this make-believe world have a random yet equal spread of civilisations and resources.

While I agree with having a real earth map, to be honest, it does not really need to be balanced. At least in the form of resources and stuff. To me, that is what makes it interesting.

As far as making Europe larger than its supposed to be, there are really only 4 true civilizations from Europe. The Greco-Roman, Celts, Germans (Germanian Barbarians), and Huns. All European civilizations of today can trace their roots to one of these 4 groups.

It can even be argued that the Greco-Roman civilization sprung from ancient Egyptian colonists which would put it at only 3 true European civilizations. Then, even further, the Huns actually came in from Mongolia and were the fathers of the Russians and eastern Europeans and that would make it only 2 true European civilizations - the Celts and the Germanian tribes.

What should have been introduced in Civilization is the random event of splintering where a nation divides into 2 or more nations and they in turn become their own independent state(s). This is how America was formed, afterall.

This is an interesting concept and one that I have been interested in for a while. I have been fascinated with the "evolution" of culture and how different mixes of different societies have led to the people that we know today. It would be cool if this could be represented in some way.

Then it wouldn't be a "real earth map" it would be a "earth like map" in which case, wouldn't you rather have the "real earth" but with civ's randomly placed.

"I want everything to be like history tells"

Well thats all well and good, but Germany never existed at 4000BC, thus it would never be around to enter into conflict with any other European civ and you can't claim historical fact when some continents are barren or only have 1 civ on them when in reality their were many throughout history, take china for example, where's mongolia to stop them expanding and taking the whole of asia, no, if you can't have perfect historical accuracy then you may as well get some good gameplay by having this make-believe world have a random yet equal spread of civilisations and resources.

Technically, Germany DID exist around 4000 BC, but just not in the form as we think of today. They were the barbarians. Still, if you prefer the random placement, good for you. For me, I prefer the fun of exploring the world with everything in its proper place. It would be a challenge to take play through with each civ in its place as a different one everytime. Some would be easy, others would be much harder.

Yeah, when creating the maps, you have to use some of the more modern civs to represent older ones... French for Gual, English for Celts, Germany for Germanic Tribes. But as new civs are introduced, whether through DLC, Expansion or Mods, they can all be put in their proper place.

What I don't get is why you insist on trying to deflate it for those of us who enjoy them being in their "proper place"? If you like the random placement, good for you... I'm happy for ya.

Spoiler :

To be honest I would prefer both to ship, but if I had to choose one I would choose random.

Does anyone want to convert this to a hex map? We know how many hexes are in the middle east from Gregs video so we could extrapolate from that (Only needs to be a rough approximation.)

Maybe they can, like in Rhye's, have names that change. So Germans start as Germaic Tribes, and change based on tech era and social policies as well as strengh. A rushing german will get renamed as Germanic Horde ect. A large empire will be the German Reich.

British: Anglish Tribes to Breatland/breatwaldia to Britan.

Top Bottom