1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Formula 1 2009

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Formaldehyde, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

I don't agree as there is a certain amount of logic to the move. With Rosberg moving to Brawn/Mercedes Button wasn't guarenteed to be the number one driver next season and presumably McLaren have a head start for next season as they should have spent more cash on development. Finally he is 29 and probably deserves a similar salary to the other top drivers, so being offered essentially the same salary as last season doesn't meet that objective and doesn't give the impression that the team value him.

Will be pretty bizarre that the team that won both championships has let both drivers go.

2. Darth_Pugwash

Darth_Pugwash wobble wobble

I can certainly see the logic from Button's perspective, even though he has likely ruled himself out of another WDC at least while he's at McLaren, but as a fan it'd have been alot more fun to watch Lewis / Kimi than Lewis / Jenson.

Anyway, Raikkonen is going to take a sabbatical next season, I have the feeling it'll end up as retirement from F1 however: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80187

3. bdanv

bdanv Warlord

the move is official now. good luck Jenson!

4. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

Darth, according to our press Kimi simply won't take part in F1 next year because if he did he'd have to forfeit Ferrari's money. Which means, he'd lose economically.

5. Darth_Pugwash

Darth_Pugwash wobble wobble

Sofista - I read the same thing, but nonetheless my gut instinct at this point is that Raikkonen may well go off and drive in the World Rally Championship instead of ever returning to F1.

6. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

I think his contract with Ferrari simply prevents him from racing for their rivals. And sure, why would Ferrari want him sitting at home when his racing in rally doesn't change a thing for them?

7. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced