Free Doomstacks for AI?

Tickytoe

Chieftain
I'm on a continent by myself and am #1 in power and technology. The Zulus, who have been quietly sitting on their island on the other end of thr world since 4000 BCE, declared war on me out of nowhere in 1740. On the next turn I got an "Approaching Army" notification and scrolled down to see a massive doomstack of late-medieval units that rival my entire army. On the next turn they capture and raze my capital. They didn't have a single ship on my coasts (if they had, my navy would have shut them down real quick), so I'm finding it hard to justify losing my capital, as it was my main source of income from wonders and great people. Had it been some other city it would've been irritating but still present a fun challenge. This is just straight up cheating.

Is there a mechanic that forces this to happen? Because if so it's pretty ridiculous.

I've not added any mechanic that grants the AI free stacks, and I'm pretty sure that no such mechanic exists in K-Mod either. Take a look on the Info screen; if the Zulu did indeed get a free stack out of nowhere you should see a sharp increase on the power graph.

Welp, my bad. The AI is just way better and I didn't expect Shaka to pull up with 17 Galleons so I must've missed that the first time around. Case closed.

Hah, the same thing happened to me with Shaka in K-Mod as well. I spent that entire game ignoring his threats. The days of feeling safe from an AI that is a continent away are definitely over with K-Mod.

Well similar happen to me.
If the city is on coast and if produce most currency the AI will mostly target it and raze it.
(ignoring wonders or others benefits, maybe its because the empire output raise)
+Can just conquered cities in resistances (not pacified jet) be not included in empire dissent and maintenance counting? Maybe that will decrease the the issue of razing every city.

You must spare strong defend to decrease the greed in AI eyes and they likely chose another target.
Or use it as trap and have fort one turn away whit main task force designed to deal.
The AI is not smarter they can chose the same city as target ignoring low defend cities and board the main fortress again and again.
Naval recon is necessary if you have coastal city producing high income.

+Can just conquered cities in resistances (not pacified jet) be not included in empire dissent and maintenance counting?

Newly conquered cities start with a -100% dissent modifier, just like newly founded cities. This modifier reduces to 0 over time (roughly half an era).

Top Bottom