Freeze/Crash/Reboot

Hi all. I"m having problems with freezing leading to no video input. It happens at random times after 10-40 minutes of play. For months, I've lived with it. I've gotten more RAM (1 GB total), a newer video card (ATI x700, 256 MB), old video card drivers (4.12), new drivers, omega drivers. I"ve opened up my computer and put an extra fan on the hottest parts of my computer to make sure it wasn't over heating; yet still to no avail. I have turned off fast write in my AGP settings. I also have my anti-aliasing set at the lowest (2x). Here is some infor from my dxdiag:

Time of this report: 3/27/2006, 09:17:52
Machine name: XxX
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Dimension 8300
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Page File: 353MB used, 1342MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: RADEON X700 Series (Omega 3.8.221)
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc. (Omega 3.8.221)
Chip type: RADEON X700 PRO AGP (0x5E4B)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5E4B&SUBSYS_23021002&REV_00
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6599 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 1/24/2006 22:52:48, 255488 bytes

I think if this game actually worked correctly, my weekends would be gone for the next year or so. Even still, please help!! thanks in advance.

I have exactly the same problem of freezing leading to no video input. Any help would be appreciated.

I doubled my RAM to just above 2.0 GB and I just played for like an hour and a half before it freezed.

BothofUs said:
I doubled my RAM to just above 2.0 GB and I just played for like an hour and a half before it freezed.
If you post your full DxDiag.txt and an MSInfo.txt someone may see something. You don't have to paste them in as text. There's a way to upload them to your post as links so we can open the whole *.txt.
I used to freeze and spontaneously reboot. That hasn't happened in several months. I play on default maps usually. It's laggy late in the game when choppers are zippin' around, but still winnable.

BothofUs said:
Here's my full dxdiag.
You have two sound devices enabled which isn't super common. If it's intended, cool. If not, you may save some resources by disabling the SoundMAX. For some folks, having two is normal. One problem I had was the sound was set to "mono" or "EAX" when it seems to work best at "System Configuration" for me. Sound can be an issue.

It seems you've tried a lot to resolve this. I have a similar rig and I uninstalled the game completely, every folder and registry entry. I then reinstalled and applied the downloaded patch just by executing it (no Civ4 running). I'm using the fresh Catalyst 6.03 (5.12 and on have worked fine for me) with the CCC and .NET 1.1 and 2.0. I stopped using Omega's a couple of years ago, but that's a personal preference; his driver tweaks are usually fine. My DirectX got updated in December and February (windowsupdate won't, you have to go get it).

I keep my slider to the "balanced" defaults in the video card's settings (no AA!). My graphics are set to Med/Low/Low in Civ's options. I clear Civ4's cache folder daily. I also use the "MemSaver = 1" in civilizationiv.ini, though I don't believe that's recommended on 256mb cards. It's a pain in the butt to lose [Alt + Tab].
My AGP aperture is 256, but 128 ran it fine as well. I have ATI Tray Tool but don't use it.

Maybe some of this will give you a new idea. Perhaps others will see more in your DxDiag. Run an MSInfo32 to see if there are any background apps you're not aware of too. Good luck. :)

Thanks auldian. I'll try the soudn thing later. I was able to play the game for 4 hours without a freeze early this morning (maybe doubling the RAM helped!) with all settings settings at low on a Huge world. The mem setting set at 1 sounds like a good idea as well.

I want to be freeze free.

BothofUs said:
also, how do you clear your CIV4 cache?
In Windows Explorer navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\<your login id>\Application Data\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV\cache and delete all files in that \cache folder. These are hidden folders so you may need to enable [Tools > Folder Option > View > Show hidden files and folders]in Windows Explorer to see them.
It's important to delete these files if you update your CivIV with a patch or reinstall it; loses some old data that may muck things up. You can actually delete the folder "\cache" and the game will create a fresh copy when you run CivIV next.

[edit: I emphasize this is not in My Documents on your desktop or Start Menu. This is a folder that's hidden by default.]

First Post.... I too have the BFG 6800GT OT 256K and have the exactly the same problems as most of you with this video card. I have many other games that I play with no problems at all..... Guild Wars, DoD, Combat Mission, COD2...many more. I have no video issues at all...no heat problems.

As my 2 cents, I really don&#8217;t think it&#8217;s the video card as suggested. However, this is possible though, because my first video card was RMA back to BFG it was the 6800oc 128k, they replaced it with this one. The first card had artifacts issues&#8230;(before Civ4) which the BFG tech&#8217;s blamed the MB&#8230;I proved them wrong.

Civ4 never worked with out random crashes from the first day I installed it, with two patches and many possible fixes in the forums. This game never worked&#8230;

I own all 4 Civilization games&#8230;still have the first game on 5.25 floppies in the original box&#8230; It&#8217;s so frustrating&#8230;. after all these years playing CIV...I can't play the current version

Windows XP Pro with sp2, ASUS AV8 Deluxe, v1.0, Athlon 3700+ San Diego, 2x1 GB Patriot memory pc3200/400mhz, 2 x 80gig HD in raid. Audigy 2 ZS sound card, CD drive and CD burner/DVD drive, 550 Ultra connect PS

So its been what 3...4 months and still they ignore this issue they created with poor coding and piss poor support? And I will ever buy another piece of software from fraxis because of what again?

I hope they enjoy my $39, because its the last $39 they will ever get from me, no matter what they do now I will ensure not a nickle of my money ever reaches their pockets. They promissed to fix this issue months ago, and still it festers on like a wet runny pile, stinking up the entire turn based gaming community.

Uh...I've been playing the game for no more than two hours, (I bought it today) and though I can instantly tell its amazing, I am having so much difficulty. It is randomly restarting my computor. I then re-log in and it says Nvidea 4600 driver has forced restart. Why? The graphics card ( the Nvidea thing) is perfectly fine, in line with the spec on the back.

WEhats up?

Me either CombatHanger. I finnally got CIV stable on another system but I am through with Fire-axis. I am embarrassed for them by their total lack of tech support.

For christs sake their "tech support" is this third party forum. lol

Moonshine what are your specs on your computer??? CPU, RAM, Video card?

Colburn said:
First Post.... I too have the BFG 6800GT OT 256K and have the exactly the same problems as most of you with this video card. I have many other games that I play with no problems at all..... Guild Wars, DoD, Combat Mission, COD2...many more. I have no video issues at all...no heat problems.

As my 2 cents, I really don’t think it’s the video card as suggested. However, this is possible though, because my first video card was RMA back to BFG it was the 6800oc 128k, they replaced it with this one. The first card had artifacts issues…(before Civ4) which the BFG tech’s blamed the MB…I proved them wrong.

Civ4 never worked with out random crashes from the first day I installed it, with two patches and many possible fixes in the forums. This game never worked…

I own all 4 Civilization games…still have the first game on 5.25 floppies in the original box… It’s so frustrating…. after all these years playing CIV...I can't play the current version

Windows XP Pro with sp2, ASUS AV8 Deluxe, v1.0, Athlon 3700+ San Diego, 2x1 GB Patriot memory pc3200/400mhz, 2 x 80gig HD in raid. Audigy 2 ZS sound card, CD drive and CD burner/DVD drive, 550 Ultra connect PS

I think what irritates me the most about this experience has been that this is the biggest thread in the tech support forum, where we even diagnosed our own problem finding the common denominator of the BFG 6800, and we have all been left to just drift in the wind for the last 4 months...

I heard the patch "may" fix the problem with the BFG 6800's but it's too late. The damage to CIV4 and Fire-axis in my opinion has already been done.

We should have had a hotfix for this problem back in january, that shows how little they care about us after they have our money. No expansion pack and no future Fire-axis products will ever go on my computer...

Raider: Sorry mate, but I'm not exactly acomputor expert (in anyway or form) and so where do I find my specs? I'm sure its fine, cos AoE III works, Oblivion works, State of War 2 works etc.

np click on start in the bottum right of your screen, then run, then type in dxdiag

Give it a few seconds to load up
Then click save all information
save the file
then post it here as an attachment

No can do. Its on a differant comp. I'll post what it says:

Edition:XP Home Edition (5.1, built 2600)
Language English
Manufacturer:N/A
Model:N/A
BIOS: Award modular BIOS v6.0
Processor:AMD Athlon (TM) XP2100+, ~1.7GHZ
Memory:512 RAM
Page File: 135MB used, 1115MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CxDiag Notes: No Problems Found
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Device:
Name:NVIDEA GeForce Ti 4600
Manufacturer:NVIDEA
Chip Type: GeForce Ti 4600
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Approx. memory: 128.0 MB
CFurrent resolution: 800 by 600 (32 bit)(60Hz)
Moniter:plug and Play Moniter
Main Driver: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.13.0010.2890 (English)
Date:02/04/2002 13:06:00
WHQL Logo'd: No
Mini VDD:Nv4_mini.sys
VDD:N/A
DDI Version: 8

Moonshine, I see two potential problems. First, your RAM is on the low side, you might consider upgrading that if you don't plan on getting a new PC anytime soon. With that computer I'd recommend another 512Mb stick to bump it up to 1Gb. Secondly, your video driver is super old. Head to nvidia's website - www.nvidia.com - and update the driver and see where that gets you. It SHOULD improve the video performance and possible resolve that error you're getting.

Raider - Heard anything from Thamer recently? I keep hearing about this supposed patch but it's been forever. *sigh* My buddy just got a 6800 GS too. Have yet to hear if he's had problems with civ 4 yet (he needs to install it first, of course). I'm more than frustrated that we've gotten nothing in terms of a fix for our cards. Oblivion is awesome though. No major flaws in it. At least ONE studio got it right even if the publisher has terrible support. *sigh*

Top Bottom