Freeze/Crash/Reboot

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by Raider62, Dec 26, 2005.

1. auldian

auldian King

The official requirements list Service Pack 1 as a minimum. You may have specific reasons for not updating the OS. Be aware that this original build may give your game some hiccups.
    Good luck.

2. Raider62

Raider62 Warlord

Have you read this thread about "where is the patch we were supposed to get 3 weeks ago"

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=162263

"Raider, as for your issue, I looked into it along with other card-related problems. Many of those problems have been fixed for this patch, but since it's HW specific, we won't know for sure until you can run it on your setup."-Thamer

Thats the latest I heard. Not too promising huh...Sounds like it might be fixed and it might not. I just wish if they knew it was a hardware problem 3 months ago, they would have either a)released a hotfix b)told us so that we didnt waste hours upon hours of time trying to fix it ourselves

I have no been so utterly disgusted with a game before. Something that should bring enjoyment and pleasure has been nothing short of a pain in the *#%...

I also have a feeling that this next patch is not gonna fix our problems with the BFG 6800... I luckily got my hands on another computer that civ does work on, except the LAN multiplayer cuts out every 5 minutes or so. So out of 3 computers I have tried Civ4 on, None work as they are supposed to....

I'm sorry but this comes down to shoddy programming and/or crappy/limited beta-testing... There's no way this many bugs got missed. Fire-axis released this game early to catch the "christmas rush" and we got to pay for a fairly worthless POS...

I will never ever buy anything from Fire-axis again and I recommend others who have read about our experience support us by not buying the expansion.

I firmly believe they are holding the patch so they can coincide it with the expansion. You know so the expansion will work with the game and not need another patch after release. --- 1 formerly very loyal Civ loving fan

3. Holj102

Holj102 Chieftain

Yeah, I read that thread. Was wondering if you specifically had heard anything. Glad to know you got a computer it now works on. I'm SOL as I built this computer for newer games such as civ 4 and well, don't have the money to replace what would need replacing to make that game work. This totally blows. *sigh*

4. Colburn

Colburn Chieftain

What some are you suggesting…. the only way we can get our issues fixed is purchase the expansion pack. This is not right!!!! I have to spend more money to fix a game that never worked correctly in the first place?

Humm…..I have to think about …$59.00 (Special Edition) + another $30 something for the patch. No real guarantees it will work!! I trusted you once….

Anyone what to purchase as almost new CIV (Special Edition)? It’s real special....don’t work on my computer.

What’s real sad…I will most likely purchase the patch…only to close the book.

However, Sid, Firaxis and 2k games….you lost a customer.

nc

5. jac0001

jac0001 Chieftain

Hi all.

i was having a problem with civ 4 causing my system to reboot itself randomly and i tried this from another thread
    i have a nvidia 6600gt

"You could try to change this value in the ini file:

Code:
    ; Set max frame rate clamp (0 means none)
    SetMaxFrameRate = 0and change the value to say 40 and see if that helps"

posted by Gyathar

is this thread http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=165157

i changed it to 60 and it works fine now...

hope this helps

cheers

6. Raider62

Raider62 Warlord

Colburn you will not have to purchase the patch... I am just saying I think it's been held so that it comes out with the expansion...

JAC I will give that a whirl when i get some time.

7. sluggish_homer

sluggish_homer Chieftain

My CIV always stuck at the opening screen and my system completely hang then i need to hard reset the system. Sometimes need to reset the system many times to get it worked. But once CIV successfully restarted, it can be played smoothly and i never experienced any problems then. It's very irritating if u need to reset PC many times to get the game worked.

P4 1.6GHZ
    RAM 768MB
    Geforce 6600
    DirectX 9.0c Feb 2006
    WIndows XP SP2

8. Colburn

Colburn Chieftain

Raider62 Yes!! I might be confused!! I understood that some are suggesting, the patch would be included in the upcoming expansion pack, rather than distributed separately. That only way we could get the patch is purchase the expansion pack?

jac0001 thanks for the suggestion....didn't work..:-(

nc

9. punkkidca

punkkidca Chieftain

anyone try this game with the new Nvidia drivers that came out in march?...i just noticed that they were out but havn't had a chance to install them yet. Maybe just maybe it fixed the problem??...(ya right)

10. Stanley9837

Stanley9837 Chieftain

My thoughts exactly. Sell the rights to Blizzard, Sid. A company that supports their games.

11. Holj102

Holj102 Chieftain

Good news and bad news. Word has reached the forums that there IS a patch and it did in fact make it to QA. The bad news is that it failed QA and current time table is now to be released a few weeks before the expansion. Someone got a mini-nuke that I can send 2k's way?

Here's the place where that info. is found btw -

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=162263&page=5

12. Philips

Philips Chieftain

Yes, no luck.

13. Philips

Philips Chieftain

Too bad he already sold the rights.....to Take2.

14. Stanley9837

Stanley9837 Chieftain

He should sell them to Blizzard, too. Let both companies make a Civ game and let the consumers decide which to buy...

15. eagle37k

eagle37k Chieftain

Similar to some of the difficulties experienced above, I've been playing on a LAN with two computers (one Desktop, one Laptop) and have recently installed the game on a new laptop, patched it up to 1.52 and removed the autosave (set to 0) in the .ini and .bak files.

However, when using the game on this new laptop the game freezes completely on a black screen with just a message saying 'autosaving' in the top left corner on every single/multiplayer startup. I've double checked the .ini and .bak files and they definitely have autosaves turned off!

Is there anything I'm doing wrong and is there anything I can do to rectify this problem - thanks!!

16. crunch

crunch Emperor

The game always generates an initial autosave at 4000 BC. Try loading someone else's savegame to see if autosaving is really the problem.

17. Stanley9837

Stanley9837 Chieftain

So...did the patch fix our problem? *anxiety*

18. zeise

zeise Lord Emperor

Fix it? it made mine worse, i never had a problem ever until now. trying to load a save game crashes to desktop and then reboots the computer. Any reasons or suggestion on this?:mad:

19. Holj102

Holj102 Chieftain

Patch DOES NOT FIX PROBLEM FOR Nvidia 6800 users. I just tried it. Same crash after 20 minutes.

20. Stanley9837

Stanley9837 Chieftain

Damn.:mad: